Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 01:07 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Probably the smartest thing I've read on here in a while...

But, Conspiracy theorists wouldn't get half the traction they get, if our government
didn't have so many skid marks on the highway of truth.

When ever I think of what our government is possible of, I often think of the
Tuskegee experiment...

With the history of our government's power in lying or manipulating on many occasions,
it's a surprise we have any faith in it left. But we still do.
It would also help if we all leaned toward the Libertarian Party to make government's
foot print as small as it can be, but that's for a different thread all together
Of course there are things in our government's history that point to cover-ups and the like. One would have to be an idiot to believe everything played out exactly how they report it to the general public, but there are just some times when you can take things at face value. If there are any discrepancies or "dropping of balls" leading up to and what actually transpired in Boston, the bottom line is that people were killed, people were badly injured, people have lost limbs and we know who is responsible and they were not "framed''.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,432,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Most women were busy raising a family, taking care of the household, cooking up a storm, ice cream socials, church activities. Blacks ran their own businesses, and were independent. They took pride in themselves. Crime was unthinkable, people were moral back then. (yes, there were exceptions, but that's the point, they were exceptions)
You were posting about how free the 50's were. Many women didn't fit into the mold of cooking up a storm for church potlucks, but didn't have opportunities, or community support, to live differently. There were black owned businesses of course but being a business owner wasn't all that common, and again opportunities to choose the career you were best suited for was very limited for blacks. And then there's that dark underbelly of lynchings, etc. that Cinebar mentioned. Or perhaps that was fabricated?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Country has gone downhill since women were allowed to vote. My wife disagrees but the proof is in the pudding. The great depression started soon after.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:16 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
You were posting about how free the 50's were. Many women didn't fit into the mold of cooking up a storm for church potlucks, but didn't have opportunities, or community support, to live differently. There were black owned businesses of course but being a business owner wasn't all that common, and again opportunities to choose the career you were best suited for was very limited for blacks. And then there's that dark underbelly of lynchings, etc. that Cinebar mentioned. Or perhaps that was fabricated?
And look at all the women in that group, obviously enjoying themselves.

Why weren't they home "cooking up a storm" or at a church social?

Or, maybe that was a church social?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:19 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When and more importantly, how did they determine that? Last I heard, they had no evidence that there was a motive or plan other than just "partying".
Talk to Bloomberg. He seems to be all chatty kathy about it...

"The fact is, New York City remains a prime target for those who hate America
and want to kill Americans," Bloomberg said.

Bombers

You know what they say - never a missed opportunity....

Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And look at all the women in that group, obviously enjoying themselves.

Why weren't they home "cooking up a storm" or at a church social?

Or, maybe that was a church social?
Hard to believe that on one end of the planet they were getting ready to burn Jews and others alive and in America this existed. Those lynched men look like they had been burned and tortured. The majority is always wrong...I really did not need to see this old photo.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I'd love to put people like you in a time capsule back to the 50's. Blacks were more free then, than they are now - before they got owned by the demorat party.
Edit, to say maybe it was the Republicans back then - whoever the so-called progressives were.
Just curious claud, were you alive in the 50s, and of an age to be considered sentient? If not, you don't know what you're talking about. Also, are you black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Uh huh, and I'm sure you'll assure us that it was better to contract polio than go through the vaccination.

Oh, my yes! Also rubella, especially for pregnant women, measles, and many other now vaccine preventable diseases. But doncha know, several conspiracists on here are also opposed to immunizations as they are also a govt. conspiracy.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Hard to believe that on one end of the planet they were getting ready to burn Jews and others alive and in America this existed. Those lynched men look like they had been burned and tortured. The majority is always wrong...I really did not need to see this old photo.
Sorry.

I thought about just posting the link but I was pretty sure that those who really do need to be reminded about that time period would just choose to not open it.

My apologies to those who are upset by that photo. I just think it's important for those who talk about "the good old days" to get a reality check once in awhile.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Sorry.

I thought about just posting the link but I was pretty sure that those who really do need to be reminded about that time period would just choose to not open it.

My apologies to those who are upset by that photo. I just think it's important for those who talk about "the good old days" to be brought back to reality once in awhile.
One of the hazards of the net- The ability to instantly access images of the past. You don't have to apologize somethings should never be forgotten. The truth is it has always been a struggle...Childhood and early youth were the good old days...cos we only choose to remember what was good. Growing up in the 50s - I remember the poverty...the abuse of others...raging hate of immigrants...Yes the days were sunny and bright but they were not that bright.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Talk to Bloomberg. He seems to be all chatty kathy about it...

"The fact is, New York City remains a prime target for those who hate America
and want to kill Americans," Bloomberg said.

Bombers

You know what they say - never a missed opportunity....
I have already read all about it. The younger brother told them that Times Square was on the agenda as they didn't want to waste their pressure coooker and pipe bomb stockpile...now that is what would really be a "missed opportunity".

Last edited by sickofnyc; 04-25-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies