Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:16 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Right or wrong? The school was wrong. Ms. Hale did not do anything illegal or inappropriate. She was just listed as a mourner in an obituary, along with her partner.

Hope she sues them.
She did nothing 'inappropriate' ? To the school, the private employer, her homosexual relationship is inappropriate. I assume that a Catholic school teaches religious doctrine. How far they carry their dismissals of teachers who don't follow doctrine, who knows.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:17 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Just stay away from the Catholic Church and we'll all be happy. Why would a gay person want to teach at a Catholic Church that directly conflicts morally with their lifestyle?

Personally, I think the Church should file a lawsuit for fraud.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:20 AM

I suppose this person will dress up in a hijab and apply for a teaching position at a Muslim school next?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What the hell does that even mean?
It seems very clear to me. Nowhere in the US can you be fired (or not hired) because of your race, sex, national origin, or religion, and in many parts of the US - including where this school is located - your sexual orientation.

Note that, with the exception of religion, these are innate, biological characteristics (religion being a lifestyle choice).

Nazism is neither a race, sex, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It seems very clear to me. Nowhere in the US can you be fired (or not hired) because of your race, sex, national origin, or religion, and in many parts of the US - including where this school is located - your sexual orientation.

Note that, with the exception of religion, these are innate, biological characteristics (religion being a lifestyle choice).

Nazism is neither a race, sex, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation.
So the next thing will be after Gay marriage is passed there will be lawsuits to force Catholic Churches to marry them? I mean you advocate the Church being forced to hire people who directly conflict with our moral beliefs so why not force us to not only allow them to be members, let them go to communion but also marry them here?

Where does it end?

BTW, have you seen the way some of these gay activists behave? Nazi's isn't that bad of an analogy, especially the way they go after ANYONE who doesn't agree with them.

I'm done with this joke of a thread.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
So the next thing will be after Gay marriage is passed there will be lawsuits to force Catholic Churches to marry them? I mean you advocate the Church being forced to hire people who directly conflict with our moral beliefs so why not force us to not only allow them to be members, let them go to communion but also marry them here?
No, not at all.

This women is a PE teacher. She is (well, was) employed in a non-religious task - teaching physical education.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
She did leave her personal life at the door. A parent showed the obit to the school administrators.
While mine was not a perfect comparison it doesn't have to be. It wasn't meant to be. It only shows that while the government can argue that they can keep religion from the classroom in public schools, they can not argue they can enforce this in a private religious school.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
While mine was not a perfect comparison it doesn't have to be. It wasn't meant to be. It only shows that while the government can argue that they can keep religion from the classroom in public schools, they can not argue they can enforce this in a private religious school.
There is legal history involving this. If the position in the religious school includes religious duties (priest, pastor, Sunday school instructor), it's exempt from the law. If the position in the religious school does not include religious duties (janitor, PE teacher), it is not.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

Just to note......places like Curves, that provide a place for women to work out are allowed and do hire only women to provide instructions to the women who go there.

Hooters only hire female wait staff.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just to note......places like Curves, that provide a place for women to work out are allowed and do hire only women to provide instructions to the women who go there.

Hooters only hire female wait staff.
Yeah, there are exceptions in the law for sex appropriateness (locker room attendant) and in the case of Hooters, Hooters argues their female waitstaff are the product they are selling (that would make an interesting court case if it ever came to one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies