Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
They are in overdrive to blame anything but terrorism for this.
How did you come up with that? Of course it's terrorism. Why would medical researchers who study traumatic brain injury care one way or another how its portrayed? They just want to take a look at the guys brain to see how much injury was there, because even you have to admit that the older brother was probably the dumbest terrorist ever. He got away with the blast itself, but who plans a bombing and doesn't think to check to see if there's surveillance cameras, and has zero plans for an escape--not even cash on hand. Traumatic brain injury isn't going to cause him to become a terrorist, but it could explain the aggressive personality changes and the risk taking behavior. This guy wasn't acting like the sharpest tool in the shed. You've been around sports--those are the kinds of changes they have you look for post concussion.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-24-2013 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 01:31 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
They are in overdrive to blame anything but terrorism for this.
That's not true.

They are scientists. We know that the brains of mass murderers tend to be different from the brains of normal people. And we know that boxers suffer distinct injuries to the brain. We have made so many scientific advances, even in the last decade, that preserving and studying this brain could be worthwhile.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-serial-killer

Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
With all due respect. . . The Mail Online?
I did state "for what it's worth", but there have been interviews with family and friends and I have been a little puzzled as to why this family is not sticking together, for instance, the two uncles that have dissed them. Dysfunctional families do exist and when you mix extremist ideology into the mix, well... I think everyone is trying to make sense of a family that reached out for refuge and then turned on the country that gave it to them.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Exactly. He's claiming to be "Christian" and seems intent on diversion from the original topic at hand to try and make comparisons that really grasp. Call me skeptical...
First--I'm a she. Second--I don't agree with you so I'm not a Christian? You just made my point about nutty, extremist thinking coming from all directions--not just Muslims. You're the one doing the diversion here chief--you're tap dancing all over the place. The last I knew, this was the title of the thread.

Mother: I Don't Care If My Youngest Son Killed. I Will Say Allahu Akbar!---Islam Religion Of Peace

The OP made the connection that saying Allahu Akbar and being a Muslim makes you a terrorist--not me. Start a different thread if you don't like it.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's not true.

They are scientists. We know that the brains of mass murderers tend to be different from the brains of normal people. And we know that boxers suffer distinct injuries to the brain. We have made so many scientific advances, even in the last decade, that preserving and studying this brain could be worthwhile.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-serial-killer
That's just it--if they can build up a body of research on brain function in violent criminals, including studying them for traumatic brain injury (which is pretty common in boxing) they might actually be able to help medically at some point.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:39 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I just tried the link and it's working for me. Here's another talking about the article I linked to first from the Boston Globe.

Poor Mojo's Newswire: Researchers urge autopsy of Boston bomber to check for CTE
Poor Mojo? Seriously? The link is a php link, and it's not working anyway.

I did find this crazy piece put out by Think Progress claiming that scientists trying to link a head injury to the cause. In the article they say this:
Quote:
Could the amateur boxing career of Tamerlan Tsarnaev . . . have had a role in the massacre? That’s a question leading brain researchers at Boston University’s School of Medicine hope medical examiners look into. . .
And then they quote the experts, who clearly say that they don't believe that's the cause:

Quote:
“Is it possible that some changes might have gone on in his overall functioning due to his boxing and potentially related brain disease? Yes,’’ said Stern, a BU professor of neurology and neurosurgery. “Anything is possible. But to then jump to the disease leading to well-planned behavior like this, I couldn’t go
there.’’ [...]
“We can’t think of their brains as being normal,’’ he said. “But there are too many people who do such bizarre and terrible acts that it’s unlikely it’s all due to one terrorist gene or disease.’’
Why Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev's Autopsy Should Include A Check For CTE | ThinkProgress

So Think Progress disputes their own premise with the actual quotes from the scientists. I guess they expect that their readership will jump like Pavlov's dogs at the headline and not read the actual content.
And apparently they were correct about that. lol

Since 911, there has been the Fort Hood shooting, the Boston bombing, the underwear bomber, the shoe bomber, the Benghazi murders, the Canada plot, and more. And all of those attacks/attempted attacks share on common thread.

[Hint: It's not boxing or being IRA members.]

Old 04-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's just it--if they can build up a body of research on brain function in violent criminals, including studying them for traumatic brain injury (which is pretty common in boxing) they might actually be able to help medically at some point.
Per the article I linked to, it would be very interesting to see what Ted Bundy's brain could tell us, or what the brains of other serial killers, or mass murderers, or even arsonists can tell us. It's not about excusing what these terrible people have done, but understanding the human brain seems to me to be a worthwhile endeavor. Even if we can't prevent future tragedies, we can still apply what we learn about the brain to people who've had strokes or other brain injuries, or who develop brain tumors. Just look how far we've come since Broca's Brain.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
We already know why. The Russian government helpfully told us the why and the who 2 years before the bombings. We decided to ignore that, along with his trip back to Chechnya and extreme social media postings.

And I agree, your posts were all consistent. You have consistently tried to equivocate the Boston bombings by bringing up Christianity.
Do you know exactly what the Russian government told the United States?

Frankly almost anything the Russian government might say about a person from Chechnya given the Russian treatment of Chechen people in past should be received with some suspicion.

If the two year old information was so significant, why wasn't the older brother detained by the Russians when he visited Russia?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
So... is the thread title a typo? Or a deliberate twisting of her statement?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Poor Mojo? Seriously? The link is a php link, and it's not working anyway.

I did find this crazy piece put out by Think Progress claiming that scientists trying to link a head injury to the cause. In the article they say this:

And then they quote the experts, who clearly say that they don't believe that's the cause:

Why Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev's Autopsy Should Include A Check For CTE | ThinkProgress

So Think Progress disputes their own premise with the actual quotes from the scientists. I guess they expect that their readership will jump like Pavlov's dogs at the headline and not read the actual content.
And apparently they were correct about that. lol

Since 911, there has been the Fort Hood shooting, the Boston bombing, the underwear bomber, the shoe bomber, the Benghazi murders, the Canada plot, and more. And all of those attacks/attempted attacks share on common thread.

[Hint: It's not boxing or being IRA members.]
Over the past decade, 88% of terrorist crimes in the United States have no relation to Islam. It's lovely that you ignore eco-terrorism, and anti-abortion terrorism, and random terrorism, to promote your anti-Muslim bias, but choosing to ignore them is not rational. Terrorism is ALWAYS a political act. Obviously, religion can provide a political motivation, just as racism can provide a political motivation, or ecology can provide a political motivation. What ties terrorism together is EXTREMISM. And another example of extremism--trying to demonize a religion or any group for the acts of a few individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.