Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,763,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Watch it bro, we're gonna quit exporting all our shows, movies, games and music to you and you're going to get very bored very quick. oh yeah and no more shopping at our malls, or going to our beaches either!
When you say "exporting" does that mean like making them there?

Category:Television series produced in Vancouver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Countless American series have been shot in Canada over the years, of course, but recently shows initially made for the Canadian market, like “Flashpoint,” have been successful abroad. “Continuum” joined another Canadian show, “Lost Girl,” on Syfy’s Monday night lineup."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/ar...anted=all&_r=0

Anyway, no OP, I don't consider Canada "less free" by any measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,704,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned that because of Canada's financial regulation system, they avoided the housing crash and the bank crash.
Do you think the Canadian government would have prosecuted a lot of banksters, if their financial institutions did what ours did? Do they have the "to big to fail" mentality that infects our government?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,555,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Indeed!! I also got my share of that when I moved to Oz and reported back just how much better Australia is compared to America-it's not even close anymore!! Pity all these "patriots" cannot be objective and see where improvements can be made. No place is perfect, and identifying issues and working to improve them benefits everyone.
The old saying "in every cloud there's a silver lining" could never be truer when applied to present day U.S. reality.

Here's a country that admittedly was the engine of performance for decades that now see's itself for the first time in a couple of generations demonstrably under-performing and suffering from rampant job-losses across the board. This happenstance is resulting in more Americans seeking work in other countries than ever before and with that comes a growing knowledge base of Americans having their eyes opened to foreign vistas and benefits.

Not all of them are so insular as to stay put while suffering due to them being firmly entrenched in that "but there is no other place".

Those portable Americans will return and some of them will be intolerant of their compatriots who bluster about foreign countries without factual foundation to back it up.

One can only hope.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:29 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,312,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
A pretty self-explanatory thread. This was inspired by my fiancee, who is a Canadian citizen. We were discussing the political views of many American conservatives and she mentioned that many may feel that Canadians exchange their "freedoms". What do you think?
Most conservatives don't know anything about Canada. Their opinions about the freedom of Canadians is mostly based on fantasy beliefs and projection. I have no idea what life is like in Canada as compared to America though.

Last edited by Iamme73; 05-03-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,763,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
They're not even dangerous. You can't choke on the toy while eating the chocolate egg. The toy is in a hard plastic shell.
Look, we're talking about a country that insists that manufacturers put the warning "product will be hot after cooking" on microwaveable meal packaging.

You think they are going to take a chance with those eggs among this populace?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:43 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,555,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Do you think the Canadian government would have prosecuted a lot of banksters, if their financial institutions did what ours did? Do they have the "to big to fail" mentality that infects our government?
We assisted in the bail-out of GM. We should have put more stringent conditions upon them however.

Banks up here didn't require bailing out.

Our banks are held to a higher standard with regulations preventing high risk loans to people who cannot afford those.

The most recent example of "banksters" being spanked was one of our major banks using an immigration facet in a totally inappropriate manner to replace Canadian employees with foreign temp-visa holders.

After that being made public the CEO Of the Royal Bank of Canada was forced to make a public apology after the Federal government publicly "lectured" them for their most egregious use of a government program to facilitate the reduction of Canadian employees.

The federal gov't then followed up with proposed legislation changes to immigration laws to prevent the usage of the "loophole".

Our Fed finance minister has routinely sat with banks and levered compliance with ethics and interest rate pegging.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,929,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You're welcome to call me rude if you want, but the documents you people are referring to are apparently a part of the constitution. You might as well tell me that the Bill of Rights is the United States Constitution.
The Bill of Rights ARE part of the Constitution. All of the amendments are just as applicable as the articles. I don't follow your reasoning here.

How is the Canadian Constitution any less enforceable than the US Constitution?

Old 05-03-2013, 10:19 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,518,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Do you consider Canada less "free"?

I do feel that the people in Canada and England are more willing to give up their freedoms than the people of the US.
I think this is at the heart of it. It is whether or not someone sees this as a bad thing or not which is what I was trying to get at with this thread. Personally, I prefer the Canadian/UK system (etc.) to the American one. My fiancee does as well. Neither of us see giving up certain freedoms for some perks as an outright bad thing. I've visited numerous times to Canada, she's lived there most of her life, and we lived in Scotland for a year, and neither of us ever felt like we had any less freedom in those countries than we did in the United States. One could even make the argument that it provides greater flexibility psychologically than America. Remember, just because you give up certain rights that you negotiate doesn't mean that you can have all your rights pulled from under you. To think so would be a rather slippery slope fallacy that you couldn't really make a valid argument for. Canada isn't going the way of Nazi Germany any time soon, as some posters have suggested on this forum.

I'm honestly shocked to come back and see this thread at 14 pages. I made a much more important thread about an attack on science from the "Science" committee and it got one reply. I suppose I should have made the title "Evil Republicans attempt to destroy science and create a theocracy" instead of a neutral thread title.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,042,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
A pretty self-explanatory thread. This was inspired by my fiancee, who is a Canadian citizen. We were discussing the political views of many American conservatives and she mentioned that many may feel that Canadians exchange their "freedoms". What do you think?
I think just the opposite. For one, Canada does not feel the need to play "world policeman" like the US does. That alone frees its citizens from a tremendous burden. I'm sure that they also don't have to endure the same torture that we do at the airports, no bloated agencies that restrict freedom like FBI, CIA, FDA and its silly war on drugs. Canadians don't have the huge gap between highly paid CEOs and the average worker. Canada offers marriage equality to its gays and lesbians. I could go on and on. Canada just seems freer than these here United States. The United States is referred to as a "free country", but we really are not. We are slaves who work 1/3 of the year just to pay our income taxes, some of us at least.

Last edited by wehotex; 05-03-2013 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,816,557 times
Whether US or Canadian Americans, humans are not made for excessive freedom, they need to be given limitations and red lines so that they behave in a social manner, even to protect people from themselves. If it is not the law that limits people, it is other people as oftentimes one man's freedom is another man's infringement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies