Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 11:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

On the other hand that might as well be one of the key reasons why US society is so fragmented. Words can be dangerous like arms ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In the US you can't say anything, either. Else you might get sued or society might punish you in other ways. It is an illusion to think one can say anything without consequences. Nor should that even be a goal.
In the US, you can't exercise your freedoms that would infringe on the rights of others. In Canada, there are far more restrictions including restrictions on offensive and hate speech.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,925,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
In the US, you can't exercise your freedoms that would infringe on the rights of others. In Canada, there are far more restrictions including restrictions on offensive and hate speech.
Genocide in Germany infringe on quite a few rights. Do you think that would have happened so easily if hate speech was illegal to begin with?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I absolutely support that, it is like that in most civilized countries... The only thing that needs careful attention is where to draw the line, there should be a broad consensus on that, not some few people deciding supposedly in the name of everyone.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
I don't think anyone mentioned that because of Canada's financial regulation system, they avoided the housing crash and the bank crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Do you think the Canadian government would have prosecuted a lot of banksters, if their financial institutions did what ours did? Do they have the "to big to fail" mentality that infects our government?
That calls for me to make a speculation.

What is true is that there were regulations in place that prevented financial institutions from doing what U.S. financial institutions were doing.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I absolutely support that, it is like that in most civilized countries... The only thing that needs careful attention is where to draw the line, there should be a broad consensus on that, not some few people deciding supposedly in the name of everyone.
Restrictions on free speech aren't really indicative of civilization, IMO.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
As much as I like Canada and think they have a good thing going on up there, I don't appreciate the fact that they don't have freedom of speech. I understand it's a "protected freedom" per their charter, but there are numerous restrictions that wouldn't fly here in the US
When you compare their freedom of speech to our freedom of speech its not like its a HUUUUGE difference.

In both countries we can pretty much say what we want, we can protest, blah blah blah...

Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Heh. Except for MPs in the House of Commons. The insults they hurl at each other would make your hair curl.
Yeah. You guys know where to be uncivil and where to avoid it. it's one British tradition that I wish had survived here. We have lost mastery of the well phrased insult.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Genocide in Germany infringe on quite a few rights. Do you think that would have happened so easily if hate speech was illegal to begin with?
Genocide was supported by hate speech delivered via the Third Reigh's government propaganda. The most effective hate speech is masked as appeals to nationalism, patriotism, and aggressive war-mongering.

There is propaganda in the U.S. too, like the love of unfettered capitalism, the idea that corporate profits are more important than the well-being of the people, and the mindless adulation of wealth and power.

The best defense against propaganda is to question authority and have a critical mind.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Restrictions on free speech aren't really indicative of civilization, IMO.
I kind of disagree. Humans live in a society. Has your mother never reprimanded you for saying hateful things, cursing, etc.? With adults, that external control is gone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies