Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
And I don't work 60 hours a week. Not anymore. I did when I started out in my teens..

Your post of 5/27/2012 below

Experiencing possible burnout
Kind of hit me suddenly. Very stressful week, and couldn't seem to get my mind into my work. After a couple screw ups that were my fault, I came in Saturday to work on my work on my time. I never made these kinds of mistakes before, and it's a big blow in the armor for me. I've kind of been on the edge these past few months, and saw this coming. I think I'm cashed in and burned out.

Basically, I've been working 60-80 hours a week for the past 4 years,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
For blue collar stuff, merely having a good work history is enough. Very few pay decent wages anymore, mine just happens too.. so I have no debt, plenty of savings, and a decent wage. Actually a number of college grads work here as they can't find good paying work in their chosen field.
Pretty much what I have observed. Last plant I worked in had at least 3 young folks who graduated, and with "good" degrees too. Last time I checked, accounting was one of those degrees that young folks are told to get. I actually read somewhere that a quarter of all CNC operators have at least a bachelors degree. That's a job that tops out at about $16/hr at most places, while the HS grad programer is probably making 40-60K. That operator would have been much better off going into the workforce at 18 and getting the 4 years of experience first. They would be making more money and they would have progressed faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'd argue that the top and bottom both suck from the middle... many at the very top produce little of value and merely use their money to make money, or as a reward for making them successful, they ship the jobs to China.. many large corporations get bailouts, as do people at the bottom on welfare and assisted living.
Exactly why many companies are raking in the dough today. Chipping away at wages and benefits for their workers, thus improving the bottom line. If they won't pay a living wage, the government will simply fill in the void. I would like to know why high paid American CEOs whine about the expense of manufacturing in America while CEOs from Europe and even China are opening up plants here in America to have their products made. Sounds to me the American CEOs are overpaid and underskilled.

Ironically, we had a team from China in over the week, and they are looking to have their parts made in America. This stuff does indeed happen, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the work that gets sent out to China.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Your post of 5/27/2012 below

Experiencing possible burnout
Kind of hit me suddenly. Very stressful week, and couldn't seem to get my mind into my work. After a couple screw ups that were my fault, I came in Saturday to work on my work on my time. I never made these kinds of mistakes before, and it's a big blow in the armor for me. I've kind of been on the edge these past few months, and saw this coming. I think I'm cashed in and burned out.

Basically, I've been working 60-80 hours a week for the past 4 years,
So what. I don't work 60 hours a week anymore, and haven't put in those hours for over 1 and a half years. Exactly why I found changed jobs. Why exactly are you concerned about my income, which surpassed that of our plant engineer with the same experience level, or the amount of hours I have put in? Aren't conservatives the ones that feel a lucky and privileged few should be worked to the bone?

And I think your fascination with me is a wee bit strange...

Old 05-04-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
So what. I don't work 60 hours a week anymore, and havn't put in those hours for over 1 and a half years. Exactly why I found changed jobs.
You started that thread 5/27/2012 (11.2 months ago) saying you had worked for 4 straight years 60-80 hours per week. Now you say you haven't worked that much in 18 months. Did someone sign on as andywire and start the "Experiencing possible Burnout" thread on 5/27/2012? Or is 5/27/2012 18 months ago-new math?

remember when you write stuff..there is a search option available to all, and many of us instantly spot discrepencies.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
So what. I don't work 60 hours a week anymore, and haven't put in those hours for over 1 and a half years. Exactly why I found changed jobs. Why exactly are you concerned about my income, which surpassed that of our plant engineer with the same experience level, or the amount of hours I have put in? Aren't conservatives the ones that feel a lucky and privileged few should be worked to the bone?

And I think your fascination with me is a wee bit strange...

I was replying to your post directed at ME!

Old 05-04-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Of course it's applicable for 'the masses'. I suppose you think only the 'elite' should attend college? For most people, college IS the path to a better life and better income.
Bingo. The GI bill was one of the most underappreciated, spectacular ideas this nation ever had..and well deserved by the Greatest Generation.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I was replying to your post directed at ME!

Quote:
While you may have done well up to age 26 by working 60 hours per week
That was the original dialogue. It was also completely wrong and off topic. Deflect much?

Maybe you could use your superior education to make a valid argument for a change?

Quote:
You started that thread 5/27/2012 (11.2 months ago) saying you had worked for 4 straight years 60-80 hours per week. Now you say you haven't worked that much in 18 months. Did someone sign on as andywire and start the "Experiencing possible Burnout" thread on 5/27/2012? Or is 5/27/2012 18 months ago-new math?

remember when you write stuff..there is a search option available to all, and many of us instantly spot discrepencies.
I was working as an independent contractor on the side for local production/prototype/die shops. This added more hours and money to I could save for a house. In case you didn't know, they cost 1/4 million dollars around here. What exactly do you care anyways?

Wow... Some exiting life you must have... Yes kids, get that college degree and you can be just like Bob

Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times
There are 28,789 full-time jobs that pay over 40,000 a year 25 miles with Chicago list on Indeed.com. I wonder how fast those will be filled

Old 05-05-2013, 12:19 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times
Everytime I go for a promotion in my company, I'm told "You have great skills amd knowledge for the position, but we want someone with a degree". Fine. I'm playing the stupid game and am now in college. So far, I've learned how to write papers to the specs that each professor wants. It's a joke, but it's how the system works. I am changing my major (and my career) though. Figure maybe if I get a Science degree instead of a business degree, I'll actually learn something for all the money amd effort.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
This added more hours and money to I could save for a house. In case you didn't know, they cost 1/4 million dollars around here.
250k is low up there, and even in a large portion of my town. My nephew has one in a great burb up there (north of Chicago), at a few times that cost, so I'm aware.

Chicago is expensive and requires a tremendous income just to survive. Very high COL. We have a subsidiary in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies