Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What opinion do I refuse to change?

I have made one statements:

Single moms are not "making us go broke." I provided a link to support that statement.

I have made one request of you:

Please provide factual evidence to support your allegation that the majority of single moms raise bad kids.

Ball's in your court...
Not anymore. But you're just too far extended to back off now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Having two parents in the home is unquestionably a better situation in which to raise a child. Nowhere in your link does it state that the majority of single moms raise bad kids.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Not anymore. But you're just too far extended to back off now.
You have nothing. As I suspected. We're done.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,012 times
I dont think the argument should be whether the majority of single moms raise bad kids...thats sort of an unquantifiable thing. One would have to start with defining bad kids...BUT if being a bad kid correlates at all with being imprisoned, then there is mountains of evidence that the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of prison inmates are raised by single mothers -- historically and presently. And that is merely the measurable statistic. There is also some evidence that, particularly boys, raised by single mothers are more likely to need costly psychological help, and are more likely to struggle in relationships than those raised with a father. Obviously not every single mother is a bad parent, but she doesnt have to be in order for things to go wrong. Being born unto a single mother, itself is a foundation for failure. I now believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that a woman cannot raise a man. At one time, I was one of those who advocated that women could do it all and that a father was an option...Plainly, that is one thing they cant do -- not even every man can do it, but no woman can. Women CAN raise a boy to become a decent human being as an adult, but they cannot raise a boy to be an actual man. This doesnt mean that a boy cant become a man in spite of being raised by a single mother, rather it just means that he doesnt become a man because of it.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
To be fair, it takes 2 to tango. I would suggest that as much as single mothers absentee fathers need to step up and take responsibility.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
My points are VERY specific:

Single moms are not the cause of "us going broke." Period. If you can prove otherwise, then please do so - with verifiable facts.

You stated that single moms raise bad kids. Prove it.

Your above post addresses neither of these points...stay on topic.
Not bad kids, but there are more problems

If the child is male they are more likely to end up incarcerated by age 30.
http://www.gwu.edu/~pad/202/father.pdf

33% of their female children will end up pregnant as teenagers compared to 5% of those in intact homes with fathers present.
Does Father Absence Place Daughters at Special Risk for Early Sexual Activity and Teenage Pregnancy?

Girls were three times more likely to become drug addicts and boys were four times more likely to.
Children in Single Parent Homes and Emotional Problems - Health and Fitness - The Hilltop - The Student Newspaper of Howard University

Overall, the odds are just not as much in their favor.
Quote:
they are twice as likely to drop out of high school, 2.5 times as likely to become teen mothers, and 1.4 times as likely to be idle -- out of school and out of work -- as children who grow up with both parents. Children in one-parent families also have lower grade point averages, lower college aspirations, and poorer attendance records. As adults, they have higher rates of divorce. These patterns persist even after adjusting for differences in race, parents' education, number of siblings, and residential location. The Consequences of Single Motherhood
There is so much research out there that is valid, reliable, repeatable, and peer reviewed, where other variables such as income, race, and education are controlled for, that shows that children in single parent homes fare far worse than those raised in two-parent homes that it is hard to dispute. Is it always true? Of course not. But it is true enough that it can be considered a fact.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,504,702 times
Single mothers? Where are the fathers? They didn't become mothers by themselves. I would say the fathers are making things bad as well.

Find the fathers and make them step up with support. There are DNA tests now and no man would be made to support a child that was not theirs.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:47 PM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
Quote:
The thread title stated that "single moms are making us broke," which is a patently ludicrous statement.

As for the quality of mothering provided by single mothers - show me some stats that support your contention that the majority of single mothers raise bad kids.
Ray, the impact of single parenthood in the cities is like a bomb going off. You are in denial if you don't acknowledge that. The cost is 1000X the cost of welfare.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Single mothers? Where are the fathers? They didn't become mothers by themselves. I would say the fathers are making things bad as well.
The woman could have had an abortion.

Quote:
Find the fathers and make them step up with support.
So a paycheck replaces a father? I think I have heard that before.

Quote:
There are DNA tests now and no man would be made to support a child that was not theirs
Not true. If you are married the kid is assumed to be the husband's kid. Some states allow 1 year to prove the kid is not yours, otherwise the husband has to pay support for 18yrs. Not all states have the sames laws though, so some may not allow for a time frame to get out of support at all.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Ray, the impact of single parenthood in the cities is like a bomb going off. You are in denial if you don't acknowledge that. The cost is 1000X the cost of welfare.
In the cities?

So single parenthood works much better outside of cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies