Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you just make up a conclusion that satisfies you and then "move on".
Do you do this with all issues ?
Why not do some research to find out the truth ?
I am just saying that unmarried doesn't automatically equate to single mother. Unmarried means not married to the father (which doesn't exclude cohabiting with the father), single mother means parenting on her own.

I have just done some research and this article which also discusses unmarried mothers says:
Quote:
Data from a national survey indicate that more than half (58 percent) of all non-marital births in 2006-2010 occurred within cohabiting unions, although there is substantial variation by racial and ethnic group, age, and poverty status. Among Hispanic and white women, 68 percent of all nonmarital births occurred within cohabiting unions, compared with only 35 and 45 percent, respectively, among black and Asian women.
Births to Unmarried Women | Child Trends Databank

Note also that he is talking about a specific age range - i.e. early 20s.

Thus I am just trying to point out that:

Quote:
that more than six out of 10 women who give birth in their early 20s are unmarried.
is not the same as

Quote:
more than six out of all 10 women who give birth are single parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Single parent. Daycare, taxpayer subsidized. Parent holds 2 jobs, child being raised by strangers and turned into a *******. Child then goes on welfare in perpetuity raising other welfare children ad infinitum.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
I am just saying that unmarried doesn't automatically equate to single mother. Unmarried means not married to the father (which doesn't exclude cohabiting with the father), single mother means parenting on her own.
Ding ding ding..

but cohabitating with the father, and then collecting benefits without claiming him IS ILLEGAL...

So you are suggesting they are breaking the law..

Old 05-05-2013, 08:32 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah, it's pretty bad. But you don't see it in suburban schools.
I didn't when my son was in school.
And when I first started going into the poverty area schools couldn't believe it myself.

But 3 years and several school districts later..this is their way of life.
And the kids are being brought up with this sentiment.

In your suburban school you show up on the first day with your supplies.
In your inner city school you just show up..school provides all your supplies.
Yeah..I know..they are poor, they need school supplies, it's only fair.
That kid toting the iPhone and wearing designer clothes really can afford pencils and notebooks.
The priorities are so misplaced and out of whack that it's beyond sad.

We pay for free lunches and they toss them in the garbage and buy from the snack counter day after day after day. We have the janitor saving the whole fruits (apples) which some of the teachers take home to feed their livestock so not all of the food is going to waste.

Go ahead and label me what you want. This is what I see day after day.
And these kids don't even realize what they are becoming. They don't know this is an "entitlement mentality". They think this is the way life is.
I see a ton of the entitlement mentality at rural schools and schools populated by middle-class kids. You have a far too limited definition of it. I agree that it is damaging, but the mentality goes far beyond not appreciating free/reduced lunches.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Single parent. Daycare, taxpayer subsidized. Parent holds 2 jobs, child being raised by strangers and turned into a *******. Child then goes on welfare in perpetuity raising other welfare children ad infinitum.
Do you have any evidence of a causal relationship between daycare and becoming welfare dependent?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,172,934 times
Quote:
Unmarried doesn't necessarily mean single parenthood - it just means not married to the child's father.

I suspect that a very large percentage of those 6 out of 10 are in de facto relationships - i.e. they are living with the father of their children but not married to him.

Since when did giving birth to a bastard become a good thing?

Old 05-05-2013, 08:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:

I have just done some research and this article which also discusses unmarried mothers says:

Births to Unmarried Women | Child Trends Databank

Note also that he is talking about a specific age range - i.e. early 20s.

Thus I am just trying to point out that:

is not the same as
Yeah..we have some kids at school that exist in that scenario but most don't.
Kid has one last name.
Brother has a different last name.
Mother has yet another last name.
Father has a different last name.

First week of school when all those permission slips have to come back.
The long time teachers laughed at me when I commented on the various names. I asked how do you know if the person signing this is the right one to give permission ? How can you tell who is who and if they are the legal parent or guardian ?

Most of the slips were signed by one person. I'm not even going to assume it's the mother anymore.

I was just so used to families all having the same last name.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,308,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
We got no shortage of those around here.
I'm not a liberal or a conservative - in fact, I would rather keep out of politics. I was just pointing out that unmarried is not directly equivalent to single motherhood.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,475,559 times
Single parenthood shows clear signs of at least two irresponsible people. I say hire someone who has shown understanding of the concept of adult responsibility for children, and put all these kids in a home run by people like that. All these "baby mamas and baby daddys" are just people who really don't give a damn about what they create in "getting it off". No way should children remain in their care.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I see a ton of the entitlement mentality at rural schools and schools populated by middle-class kids. You have a far too limited definition of it. I agree that it is damaging, but the mentality goes far beyond not appreciating free/reduced lunches.
Oh I was just giving an example. I know it goes beyond free lunches.
The sense of entitlement though between middle class and inner city and poor rural is not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies