Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Not to give single moms any break, but things like bailing out banks is making us more broke than single moms.
Bailing out the banks actually generated a profit to the taxpayer, so it didnt cost us a dime, and no, I didnt support it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:48 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
A lot of corporate welfare is illegal, too. The single moms can't pay to have theirs covered up. Welfare Queens were a PR invention to distract attention from the runaway ripping off of taxpayers by the rich through government payments programs. We need to give equal attention to both problems.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bailing out the banks actually generated a profit to the taxpayer, so it didnt cost us a dime, and no, I didnt support it either.
Which corporate media site told you that? Because it is a lie.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know...-bailout/3309/

Old 05-05-2013, 08:50 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
Before some of you go down the road with the, "They're all just looking for welfare checks," you best examine the culture in which you live. Is it one of those cultures that treats a baby born to a 17 year-old as a "blessing from Jaysus?" I'll bet many of you do. I know I live in such a culture. Let's be honest: There really isn't a good reason for people below their mid-twenties having kids. Some of our cultures still make it acceptable and, perhaps, even encouraged. It is not a blessing when a kid pops out to a 20 or 21 year-old. The vast majority of people that age aren't even equipped to be married, much less raising kids.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,034 times
Quote:
Ding ding ding..

but cohabitating with the father, and then collecting benefits without claiming him IS ILLEGAL...

So you are suggesting they are breaking the law..
No, I am merely pointing out that not all unmarried women are single mothers.

Also, not all those unmarried women, whether cohabiting or single mothers, are claiming benefits.

When the writer of the article says this:

that more than six out of 10 women who give birth in their early 20s are unmarried.

That doesn't automatically mean those 6 out of 10 unmarried mothers in their early 20s are claiming benefits.

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to be getting the impression that some on here are interpreting:

Quote:
that more than six out of 10 women who give birth in their early 20s are unmarried.
as meaning:

Quote:
that more than six out of 10 of all women who give birth are single mothers on benefits.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Which corporate media site told you that? Because it is a lie.
That big left wing media site called the US Treasury..
Bank Bailout Returns 8.2% Beating Treasury Yields - Bloomberg

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...t-on-tarp.html

But I suppose I should take your word for it over those who actually lent them the money..

The news is only like 3 years old, so I can see why you wouldnt know that.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
No, I am merely pointing out that not all unmarried women are single mothers.

Also, not all those unmarried women, whether cohabiting or single mothers, are claiming benefits.

When the writer of the article says this:

That doesn't automatically mean those 6 out of 10 unmarried mothers in their early 20s are claiming benefits.

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to be getting the impression that some on here are interpreting:

as meaning:
Once again, the discussion of the thread is SINGLE MOTHERS ARE MAKING US BROKE, so this would be discussing those who actually ARE claiming benefits. The fact that some arent, doesnt mean that no one is.

I dont care if it says 6 out of 10 are unmarried, and only 4 of them are collecting, thats far more than acceptable and doesnt need people to justify it.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Quite true. That is what the Religious Right has been saying for years. Every baby is a divine blessing. We should be GLAD to pay and pay for the cost (which continues to rise by leaps and bounds). That's just about how blind the Religious Right is. They either don't believe unmarried childbirth is bankrupting us, or they do but can't follow through with the appropriate response because that would lead to solutions that their own beliefs condemn.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Before some of you go down the road with the, "They're all just looking for welfare checks," you best examine the culture in which you live. Is it one of those cultures that treats a baby born to a 17 year-old as a "blessing from Jaysus?" I'll bet many of you do. I know I live in such a culture. Let's be honest: There really isn't a good reason for people below their mid-twenties having kids. Some of our cultures still make it acceptable and, perhaps, even encouraged. It is not a blessing when a kid pops out to a 20 or 21 year-old. The vast majority of people that age aren't even equipped to be married, much less raising kids.
I agree. 16-17 are not out looking for welfare checks. They are not thinking that far in advance and that was NOT the reason they got pregnant to begin with.

As far as "a blessing from Jaysus" culture ? I really don't know. My town is not that religious. I don't go to church and in the 3 years I've been here no one asked "What Church do you go to ?" But I have been in towns where that is the first question out of their mouths.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Ding ding ding..

but cohabitating with the father, and then collecting benefits without claiming him IS ILLEGAL...

So you are suggesting they are breaking the law..
Why are you assuming that co-habitating couples are collecting benefits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies