Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,308,850 times

Advertisements

There always been school bullies. Only now do we start to hear all the bullying going on. Or is it worse than it used to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 04:24 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,552,203 times
i think there is the accusation that--- the media pointing out bullying as a school problem could be racial discrimination in nature. many see it in these terms. the school approach seems to be-- we are all in this together and need to work it out aka the conflict deescalation method. of course this fails to address the suicide rate and mass shooting incidents.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think there is the accusation that--- the media pointing out bullying as a school problem could be racial discrimination in nature. many see it in these terms. the school approach seems to be-- we are all in this together and need to work it out aka the conflict deescalation method. of course this fails to address the suicide rate and mass shooting incidents.
Could you explain how it is racial discrimination

Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 AM

945 posts, read 970,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
There always been school bullies. Only now do we start to hear all the bullying going on. Or is it worse than it used to be?

Of course it is over-hyped. These kids have no sense of reality, their parents and teachers continue the fantasy and when someone crushes them like the cruel world does time to time and they lose some twitter followers because Suzie allegedly slept with Jimmy and is now branded a ***** they want to go into a deep funk or kill themselves because clearly life isn't worth living.

I can imagine anyone who is on the this forum, is older than 25 years old and went to a normal private or public school was on both ends of the 'bullying'.

hell, we made fun of people, said mean things and also got our doses from others and upperclassmen. It is a rite of passage in my mind, it helps you brace for the cruel world on some levels and that a lot of people are genuinely cutthroat and mean to get what they want.

If you would lose sleep or even kill yourself over what a bunch of children that you probably won't ever see again in 2-3 years after graduation think at any given time is just pathetic.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,222,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I think that the instant media has made it a much bigger problem. When I was in high school, a few decades ago, if a "jock" (sorry, but I want to paint a picture) tripped a "nerd" (sorry) in the cafeteria and the nerd went flying and landed face first on his lunch tray everyone would laugh. Perhaps 5 or 6 kids or maybe a few more may have seen if happen. A couple of kids may even talk about it for a day or two. But then it would be forgotten.

Picture the same thing happening today. The jock would have told his friends to have their cameras handy and 5 or 6 kids or more would videotape the whole thing and each of them would forward it to 10 or 20 of their friends and they would send it to 10 or 20 of their friends. In an hour, 200 or 300 teens from 3 or 4 high schools would have seen it. And it will stay on various internet and you tube postings forever. Some jerk will probably think it is funny to show at the five year high school reunion. Quite a difference.

Now change the situation to a few drunk teenage boys and a passed out girl at a party and imagine the horror. Dozens and dozens and dozens of teens in your city, and probably all of their college age siblings will see it within hours. Months and years later the photographs and videos will probably continue to resurface on the internet. Of course some guys may even print some pictures out to put in their wallets or save on their phone so you never know when the cycle of sending the pictures with start up again. A pretty bad situation.

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-15-2013 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 07:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,876,929 times
I'm glad there's a focus on bullying. Bullying isn't cool.

Now, what I want to know is, where did all the peanut allergies come from? We had bullies in the 1970s but we didn't have peanut allergies. Weird.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,098,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Of course it is over-hyped. These kids have no sense of reality, their parents and teachers continue the fantasy and when someone crushes them like the cruel world does time to time and they lose some twitter followers because Suzie allegedly slept with Jimmy and is now branded a ***** they want to go into a deep funk or kill themselves because clearly life isn't worth living.

I can imagine anyone who is on the this forum, is older than 25 years old and went to a normal private or public school was on both ends of the 'bullying'.

hell, we made fun of people, said mean things and also got our doses from others and upperclassmen. It is a rite of passage in my mind, it helps you brace for the cruel world on some levels and that a lot of people are genuinely cutthroat and mean to get what they want.

If you would lose sleep or even kill yourself over what a bunch of children that you probably won't ever see again in 2-3 years after graduation think at any given time is just pathetic.
The reality is that kids these days are just soft with no resiliency. I blame society for it, we are raising a nation of softies now and that's putting it nice.

Back in the not so old days, people were bullied, they fought and that was that.

Now kids have such huge egos and can't be "disrespected" but fail to understand that they haven't done anything in life to earn any respect.

Everything has become so PC these days that it's ridiculous, even movies are so PC these days. Remake of Red Dawn was supposed to be against the ChiComs but the PC people didn't want to anger the Chinese so the North Koreans were made the bad guys.

Most of all, the media is the biggest culprit, IMO. They're the ones who jump to conclusions before any facts are found out. They plaster the worst crap as "headline" news and the sheep buy it. Mass shooters get all the notoriety they want from the lame stream media.

The world is a cruel and harsh place, were were taught that as kids. We were spanked as kids and parents didn't want to talk to us about our feelings. We grew up fine.

We just need to stop babying these kids because when the world hits them, they're totally unprepared for that hard kick in the back.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,997,531 times
I think it depends o where you lived esepcially has far as school. It still is which is why so mnay make school district first consideration if they have school age kids and why home scholligis so popualr.Most of my genratio got over the bully child thng by junior high really. mt y wife and I disce ussed our excperinces in the 60's and early 70;s and agree that we did see these problems i scholl of the bully and the violenece.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 PM

There are cases where it goes too far of course. That famous cartoonist from the 60s who wrote underground comics said that he never recovered from high school because he was picked on so much. He eventually shot himself. I know a few people that were picked on beyond what was reasonable. But other than that we all put up with something. Usual some kind of bullying.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,391,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I think that the instant media has made it a much bigger problem. When I was in high school, a few decades ago, if a "jock" (sorry, but I want to paint a picture) tripped a "nerd" (sorry) in the cafeteria and the nerd went flying and landed face first on his lunch tray everyone would laugh. Perhaps 5 or 6 kids or maybe a few more may have seen if happen. A couple of kids may even talk about it for a day or two. But then it would be forgotten.

Picture the same thing happening today. The jock would have told his friends to have their cameras handy and 5 or 6 kids or more would videotape the whole thing and each of them would forward it to 10 or 20 of their friends and they would send it to 10 or 20 of their friends. In an hour, 200 or 300 teens from 3 or 4 high schools would have seen it. And it will stay on various internet and you tube postings forever. Some jerk will probably think it is funny to show at the five year high school reunion. Quite a difference.

Now change the situation to a few drunk teenage boys and a passed out girl at a party and imagine the horror. Dozens and dozens and dozens of teens in your city, and probably all of their college age siblings will see it within hours. Months and years later the photographs and videos will probably continue to resurface on the internet. Of course some guys may even print some pictures out to put in their wallets or save on their phone so you never know when the cycle of sending the pictures with start up again. A pretty bad situation.
Yeah, but see even before social media, the "nerd" in your first example was not just tripped once, those things are a daily occurence for the "nerd"

I don't think kids are being too soft. I have not endured it, but I can only imagine how horrible it is to be humiliated and insulted every day. It is cruel, and it should be stopped.

There are a lot of things that were brushed under the rug before, but that does not mean it was OK or people were not hurt by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies