Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, at least she picked an honest depiction by focusing on guys ordering mail-order brides 30 years younger than them.

Around here I've met 2 Russian brides that married much older men, came here and popped out babies to anchor them. Pretty much it's an agreement between the 2 parties to exchange sex and companionship for entry to the US, escape from semi-poverty to an easier life.

I would LOVE to see if Debbie covered Sandy's life and upbringing in China that led to her becoming an asian bride.....
In other words it has nothing to do with Asiaphile or "yellow fever". It "young babeophile" fever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
OK, here's a few to mull over. I Am Legend, Zorro, Crimson Tide, The Book of Eli, Elektra, all the Underworlds, Jango Unchained, Dragon, The Bruce Lee Story, the Rush Hour series, Bad Boys, Independence Day, Man on Fire, The Hunger Games, Erin Brockovich, The Karate Kid, Glory, Predator 2, Alien vs Predator, The Quick and the Dead, Silverado, Rumble in the Bronxe, The Last Samurai, Kiss of the Dragon, Enter the Dragon, all of the Alien series one through Resurrection, ....I can do this all day. Women and non Caucasians are hardly ignored as the heroes. That's just a reach. I don't know why, it seems, that you WANT to believe this is the case, and I am not trying to be snarky or provacative. I'm just being objective, here.

Also, see the post above this one. Quite a few good examples, as well. Also, many foriegn films have been quite popular, here in the states, such as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Dragon, the hundreds of Chinese Martial Arts films the list goes on and on.
Ok, NV, but if you'll notice, there aren't too many that aren't violent and action films. Lots of sci-fi, marital arts, etc.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
In other words it has nothing to do with Asiaphile or "yellow fever". It "young babeophile" fever.
Yup! And the men that seek these women, well, maybe it's my eyes, but they are REALLY nothing to write home about! OMG. yuck

Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Ok, NV, but if you'll notice, there aren't too many that aren't violent and action films. Lots of sci-fi, marital arts, etc.
Those are the best movies though.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Those are the best movies though.
I like sci-fi. I hate shooting, jumping, leaping, bombing, blood movies.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Well...yea. Heroes and such are generally associated with some form of violence. Another example, that just jumped out is Jennifer Lopez in Enough. Not so much an action movie as the story of an abused woman who fights back eventually. Still, if a story has a "hero", that usually means that some type of fight is involved, that takes bravery, above and beyond, to face.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Well...yea. Heroes and such are generally associated with some form of violence. Another example, that just jumped out is Jennifer Lopez in Enough. Not so much an action movie as the story of an abused woman who fights back eventually. Still, if a story has a "hero", that usually means that some type of fight is involved, that takes bravery, above and beyond, to face.
Never saw that, but again, she's abused. The male heroes usually don't start out totally victimized and helpless.

Avatar and Matrix are wonderful, thought-provoking movies.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Never saw that, but again, she's abused. The male heroes usually don't start out totally victimized and helpless.

Avatar and Matrix are wonderful, thought-provoking movies.
Hmmm..that is true enough. Usually, a male hero is avenging someone who is helpless and victimized. Someone dear to their character. Charles Bronson was the epitome of the vengeance minded hero in the Death Wish series. My, personal, favorite revenge movie is The Crow. Brandon Lee was awsome in that movie, tragic as it was for him. Hey! There's a a mixed race hero. Lol. Chinese/ Caucasian. ( I'm just being a smart azz now...but it is true)

Dragon The Bruce Lee Story, did a good job at showing what Oriental immigrants were up against, during the 60s and 70s. The stigmas and the difficulties he and his Caucasian wife faced. From both Chinese and American society.

It does seem odd that a Chinese man married to an American woman would be so frowned upon, when, at the same time, our soldiers were bringing home Vietnamese brides in copious numbers. It seems there is still a stigma attached to the former, whilst buying an Oriental bride is just peachy keen for American men.. Lot of double standards out there, even now, in our "enlightened age".

Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There's a black hero in every movie, recently.
Mainly for comic relief

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Hmmm..that is true enough. Usually, a male hero is avenging someone who is helpless and victimized. Someone dear to their character. Charles Bronson was the epitome of the vengeance minded hero in the Death Wish series. My, personal, favorite revenge movie is The Crow. Brandon Lee was awsome in that movie, tragic as it was for him. Hey! There's a a mixed race hero. Lol. Chinese/ Caucasian. ( I'm just being a smart azz now...but it is true)

Dragon The Bruce Lee Story, did a good job at showing what Oriental immigrants were up against, during the 60s and 70s. The stigmas and the difficulties he and his Caucasian wife faced. From both Chinese and American society.

It does seem odd that a Chinese man married to an American woman would be so frowned upon, when, at the same time, our soldiers were bringing home Vietnamese brides in copious numbers. It seems there is still a stigma attached to the former, whilst buying an Oriental bride is just peachy keen for American men.. Lot of double standards out there, even now, in our "enlightened age".
Maybe far Eastern men don't like American women much? I know that likes attract, at least that's what psychology has found. This thing about opposites attracting is not true. I still think the thing about the mail order brides and American men having a fetish for women of the far east is due to their having very low self esteem, and believing a myth about far eastern women being submissive and easily subjugated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies