Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Hollywood NEVER portrays Asian men as heroes.
Sometimes an Asian heroin shows up and gets banged by a white man at the end.
But Asian men are always losers in Hollywood products.
Super good point! Hollywood generally portrays the heroes as Caucasians. How many Latins, African Americans, Asians, or women are portrayed as heroes? Not many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Many Chinese are tall too, See Yao Ming.
The media just ignores them.
Tom Cruise is teeny tiny, and uses elevator shoes.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but I hope Hollywood makes some perfect Asian hero for the female audience to have a crush on.
And then other Asians can benefit from that...
I'm with that! Right now the only Asian I see regularly on TV is Chao Ming, the Chef. He cooks yummy and is yummy, but isn't he gay?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Super good point! Hollywood generally portrays the heroes as Caucasians. How many Latins, African Americans, Asians, or women are portrayed as heroes? Not many!
Ummm...not so. I can tbink of a lot of movies with heroes that aren't Caucasian and there have been a lot of heroines as well. Don't have to think to hard to come up with a bunch. As to how disproportionate the scales are, I don't know, but women and non Caucasians are hardly ignored as the heroes.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:08 AM

Here's an interesting website called Creepy White Guys, about white guys on dating sites who have a fetish for Asian women, and the creepy messages they send Asian women.

Creepy White Guys

Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Ummm...not so. I can tbink of a lot of movies with heroes that aren't Caucasian and there have been a lot of heroines as well. Don't have to think to hard to come up with a bunch. As to how disproportionate the scales are, I don't know, but women and non Caucasians are hardly ignored as the heroes.
Are you referring to the extras? Other than those, the main hero is almost always some white dude.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:

Jackie Chan

Bruce Lee

Lucy Liu

Sandra Oh

Pat Morita

George Takei

Ken Leung

Sidney Poitier

Denzel Washington

Morgan Freeman

Samuel L Jackson

Laurence Fishburne

Wesley Snipes

Danny Glover

Bill Cosby

Whoopi Goldberg

I'm getting tired of posting all these photos - here's the link to popular AA actors and actresses who often play very positive/hero roles:
IMDb: TOP 50 Best Black actors - a list by designmyphotos

Here are some very popular Hispanic actors/actresses:
IMDb: List Of Famous Hispanic/Latinos - a list by MFHewes

There are too many actresses who play heroes and positive role models for me to even begin to post.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:15 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Are you referring to the extras? Other than those, the main hero is almost always some white dude.
OK, here's a few to mull over. I Am Legend, Zorro, Crimson Tide, The Book of Eli, Elektra, all the Underworlds, Jango Unchained, Dragon, The Bruce Lee Story, the Rush Hour series, Bad Boys, Independence Day, Man on Fire, The Hunger Games, Erin Brockovich, The Karate Kid, Glory, Predator 2, Alien vs Predator, The Quick and the Dead, Silverado, Rumble in the Bronxe, The Last Samurai, Kiss of the Dragon, Enter the Dragon, all of the Alien series one through Resurrection, ....I can do this all day. Women and non Caucasians are hardly ignored as the heroes. That's just a reach. I don't know why, it seems, that you WANT to believe this is the case, and I am not trying to be snarky or provacative. I'm just being objective, here.

Also, see the post above this one. Quite a few good examples, as well. Also, many foriegn films have been quite popular, here in the states, such as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon Dragon, the hundreds of Chinese Martial Arts films the list goes on and on.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
Why doesn't China have more white dudes as the hero??

Maybe it's because American caucasians are the extreme minority there?

I don't know...that's just a guess.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:20 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,170,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Maybe it's a genetic thing....

Asians, on average, are much shorter than their European and American counterparts.

Again, just another indication of how shallow Americans are and actually women in general....Women objectify men a lot more than society leads us to believe. While men are painted as pigs.

Not that I really care, I'm not going to overlook aesthetics. Maybe it's just the idea of preference that people struggle with.
I dated a malaysian for 7 years. He was not short, in good shape & quite frankly, could kick the a** of any guy on this forum. Martial arts, many many many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies