Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 01:55 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,799,728 times

Advertisements

IRS also sent confidential info on conservative groups, to leftist media organization

Remember way back during the last election, when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) announced out of the blue that Mitt Romney hadn't paid any taxes in 10 years?

A lot of people asked him why he thought so. Where had he gotten this information? Reid refused to reveal the source, saying only that it was an "informed explanation".

Are we a little closer today, to finding what that source was?

---------------------------------------

Harry Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'

Harry Reid: Bain Investor Told Me That Mitt Romney 'Didn't Pay Any Taxes For 10 Years'

Posted: 07/31/2012 3:46 pm Updated: 07/31/2012 4:47 pm

Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader, ratcheted up the speculation about Mitt Romney's unreleased tax returns.

WASHINGTON -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has what he says is an informed explanation for why Mitt Romney refuses to release additional tax returns. According to a Bain investor, Reid charged, Romney didn't pay any taxes for 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,430,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Of course you have no doubt, just one in a long line of paranoid hand wringers. Boogeymen!!!
You are very naive.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM

78,642 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Benghazi and AP "scandals" Swift Boats sunk, how long til IRS "scandal" Swift Boat sinks? It looks to be circling the drain right now.
Those fingers you've jammed in your ears are now touching.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,695,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
I can remember during the GWB admin, the IRS threatened the status of actual CHURCHES, for giving anti-war sermons.

As a leftie, I say, "Cry me a river, TP"!
If those tax exempt groups are forbidden from engaging in politically partisan activities, then were they only warning them about not violating their 501(c)(3) tax free status?

Besides, warning a group about violating their status is not even remotely the same as using the power of the IRS to harass your political opponents, mine data, and give it to your political friends.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Is the IRS being used as a political tool? This reporter now thinks he may have been targeted:

KMOV anchor: The IRS is targeting me - POLITICO.com

Larry Connors, a veteran local news anchor at KMOV Channel 4 in St. Louis, says that the Internal Revenue Service has been targeting him since an April 2012 interview he conducted with President Obama -- a fact that he dismissed as coincidence until the recent reports about the IRS targeting conservative groups.

"Shortly after I did my April 2012 interview with President Obama, my wife, friends and some viewers suggested that I might need to watch out for the IRS. I don't accept 'conspiracy theories', but I do know that almost immediately after the interview, the IRS started hammering me," Connors wrote on his Facebook page late Monday night.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,737,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Those fingers you've jammed in your ears are now touching.
Outstanding wit.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM

According to the letter that was written to the Treasury Dept, which started this investigation:

This level of inquiry goes well beyond the scope of the Form 1023 application for exempt status and appears to be improper. As you are aware, to qualify as a tax-exempt organization under SOI(c)(3), the organization must prove that it is both organized and operated exclusively for tax-exempt purposes. Treas. Reg. Sec. l.S01(c)(3)-I(d)(1)(i)(a). To meet the organizational test, it must show that its Articles of Incorporation do not authorize it to undertake any nonexempt activity. 26 V.S.C. Sec. SOI(c)(3)-I(b)(i)(iii). To meet the operational text, the organization must show that it operates exclusively for exempt purposes, that it has no substantial non-exempt purpose, and that no benefits inure from it to private individuals. Treas.

Reg. Sec. l.S01(c)(3)-I(c). Any inquiry by the Service should be limited to determining whether an applicant satisfies both the "organizational" and "operation" tests. The questions presented herein go well beyond making such a determination.

So the question is, will illegalities be determined to have occurred because of the excessive amount of improper information that was obtained and disseminated by the IRS?

Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Maybe this scandal with the IRS will not only cause ObamaCare to be canned, but for there to finally be a flat tax.
Think about it. IRS targeted groups that were not in agreement with the administration. The IRS will be the Obamacare enforcer. Having given control over our medical system to the government, who among us actually thinks that something so important will not be manipulated and exploited. Who is foolish enough to believe that it will not be used as a political weapon?

What do you contribute to society because that will certainly be considered? Are you useful?

When your government owns your health care, they own you. They own your family. They own the right to decide whether you live or die, or whether someone more important to you than yourself lives or dies.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Bob, in case you missed it, a progressive media watchdog group, ProPublica, just announced that the IRS sent them confidential information in the run up to the 2012 elections revealing the data contained in the requests for tax exempt status of multiple conservative organizations. This is in direct violation of IRS guidelines. Pending applications, IAW IRS guidelines are confidential, and are not to be released. This is the same guideline the IRS quoted as a reason they were unable to respond to Congressional inquiries regarding which conservative organizations were targeted. This is huge. This could potentially indicate that IRS employees were violating department policies in an attempt to directly influence an election.

Benghazi is still going on, and both ABC and CBS are unrelenting. AP just started, and Holder has already recused himself. There is a difference between what you allege is a Swift Boat attack, and the status quo where there are no less than three giant scandals brewing simultaneously. Did you miss Carney looking like nothing more than a speed bag in a gym where Tyson works out on Friday, May 10?!?

Since you missed it, or are willfully trying to duck it....

Here is the link, direct from the source:

IRS Office That Targeted Tea Party Also Disclosed Confidential Docs From Conservative Groups

The same IRS office that deliberately targeted conservative groups applying for tax-exempt status in the run-up to the 2012 election released nine pending confidential applications of conservative groups to ProPublica late last year.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,484,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Think about it. IRS targeted groups that were not in agreement with the administration. The IRS will be the Obamacare enforcer. Having given control over our medical system to the government, who among us actually thinks that something so important will not be manipulated and exploited. Who is foolish enough to believe that it will not be used as a political weapon?

What do you contribute to society because that will certainly be considered? Are you useful?

When your government owns your health care, they own you. They own your family. They own the right to decide whether you live or die, or whether someone more important to you than yourself lives or dies.
Yep - totally scary beyond imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies