Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,540 times

Advertisements

Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By"

Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By" | RealClearPolitics

Maybe not racist, but completely false and absolutely non-presidential. Seems like a pretty awful comment for a POTUS to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By"

Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By" | RealClearPolitics

Maybe not racist, but completely false and absolutely non-presidential. Seems like a pretty awful comment for a POTUS to make.
I think it's realistic and true, unfortunately. There is still a lot of institutionalized and silent racism in this country. It used to be socially acceptable for people to be openly racist. It no longer is, but racist people haven't stopped being racist. They just find other ways to be racist.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think it's realistic and true, unfortunately. There is still a lot of institutionalized and silent racism in this country. It used to be socially acceptable for people to be openly racist. It no longer is, but racist people haven't stopped being racist. They just find other ways to be racist.
All you have to do is read the anti Obama comments on the internet, majority of the ones I've read are downright racist, not all but majority

Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
I don't think it's racist - perhaps a bit reckless though.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
It's simply an old adage that folks have said for years and they still say it without consideration to the times we live in. It's easier to just keep saying it rather than updating it.

Do you have to work harder? Sure. Twice as much? Meh...i doubt it.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
With AA and the handouts along the way the prez had to work half as hard as anyone else to get over

Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post

Actually that's generally true. I don't know where you have been the last, I don't know, 60 years but yeah.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's simply an old adage that folks have said for years and they still say it without consideration to the times we live in. It's easier to just keep saying it rather than updating it.

Do you have to work harder? Sure. Twice as much? Meh...i doubt it.
For the context of when he said in the speech.

Every one of you have a grandma or an uncle or a parent who’s told you that at some point in life, as an African American, you have to work twice as hard as anyone else if you want to get by. I think President Mays put it even better: He said, “Whatever you do, strive to do it so well that no man living and no man dead, and no man yet to be born can do it any better.”

Old 05-20-2013, 12:21 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
paranoid much. What do you want, people to bow at your feet. Not going to happen. Put your big boy pants on and face life like everyone else.

A real man does not suck off the government teet.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
paranoid much. What do you want, people to bow at your feet. Not going to happen. Put your big boy pants on and face life like everyone else.

A real man does not suck off the government teet.
you were just crying in another thread that the government isn't doing enough to help people's financial situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies