Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

No, it's just you.
K thanks, I was just checkin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default Does anyone else find Obama's comment racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By"

Obama: "As An African American You Have To Work Twice As Hard As Anyone Else If You Want To Get By" | RealClearPolitics

Maybe not racist, but completely false and absolutely non-presidential. Seems like a pretty awful comment for a POTUS to make.
Obama's lived it.

You haven't and it's not your place to call him a racist liar.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I've found exactly the opposite over 30 years working for both government and Big Business. Had I or my spouse been born black, we'd have tens of millions in the bank and be retired long ago.

In government, particularly federal, a black person with a college degree in liberal arts and no experience will be hired over a group of 100 whites who have Masters in things like Government or Urban Planning and at least 5 years of progressively more responsible experience in the exact field (say affordable housing). This person will never be fired as long as he shows up once in a while, while the white employees typically work more than 40 hours a week. I worked in an (unmarked) federal building where 99% of the employees were African-American, there was a TV on every second desk, and when thefts of government money were found out the employee was simply transferred to another job (same or better pay and benefits) where they couldn't actually get at the money. When they got sick of working, they would threaten to sue for discrimination of some sort, and walk away with 10 years' salary or so.

In big business, the companies are desperate for black applicants. In one company I worked for, we almost never had black applicants due to the technical nature of the job, but when we got them, they were hired. The company later moved the 4 employees I specifically remember into non-technical jobs at a higher pay, after spending tens of thousands of dollars to send them BACK to school in an attempt to give them every opportunity to do these entry-level jobs. Not once was it successful. And these people were hired during the reign of a Robber Baron CEO when layoffs of 10% a year were mandatory--even when all of the employees after the first 4 years were top achievers.

And let's talk about discrimination laws--they only work one way, no matter how ridiculous the (reverse) discrimination. The sole other white employee in the building when I worked for HUD was told she was going back to her former "assistant" job after spending over a year as acting manager, in order for a black man (who met none of the minimum qualifications of the job) to take it. She had all excellent performance reviews, the unwavering support of all the private-sector people she coordinated with, the Masters' degree and many years experience. After a few weeks of the man "working" approx. 2 hours a day, she realized she was expected to still do all the work, for assistant pay. She went to a lawyer to see if she had a case for discrimination, since the Department had at least 10 or 12 cases of discrimination every year that they settled on (despite the Department being 99% minority). She was told outright that she had no case--that the ONLY people who could benefit from discrimination laws were minorities.

It is beyond my comprehension why everyone continues to think blacks are discriminated against, since I've never seen anything but the exact opposite.
What you have seen doesn't reflect the reflect the reality I'm going through. I'm Black, I have a college degree in Geography. My skill set is in cartography and GIS. I don't have a job. I've been looking since July 2012. Most of my cohort, nearly all of them White, has jobs now. I'm unemployed. I've been passed up for various jobs.

And I have this to ask. Why is it that there are far more Black college grads unemployed than White college grads?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
Yeah, the federal government gives some good incentives to certain companies for contracts based on race/sex. We have lots of contract work done where I'm at because the roads washout so often. Special preference is awarded to companies that are owned by minorities or females. Lots of local contractors miss out because of this and the contracts go to companies a few hundred miles away. I tell the locals to just go over to one of the reservations and get someone to bid as the contractor and then work as the sub, then they might get some work.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't think it's racist - perhaps a bit reckless though.
Just another day in the "Damned if You Do, Damn if You Don't" world of right-wing mind fornication.

We get thread after thread after interminable thread lauding some Negro conservative for telling black folks that they need to do x,y, and z but then when Obama states the same adage that every successful African American has been told since birth... he's a freaking racist.

I can't even get upset about this nonsense any more...

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
With AA and the handouts along the way the prez had to work half as hard as anyone else to get over
Really?

In what way(s)?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who's everyone? You know everybody? He is of mixed race not just black. Those who admirer him want to play up his black side though and play down his white side and it's for a reason.
Really? What is the reason?

Please be specific.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just another day in the "Damned if You Do, Damn if You Don't" world of right-wing mind fornication.

We get thread after thread after interminable thread lauding some Negro conservative for telling black folks that they need to do x,y, and z but then when Obama states the same adage that every successful African American has been told since birth... he's a freaking racist.

I can't even get upset about this nonsense any more...
OMG ~ that is SO true. The righties loooove Bill Cosby (who says it with far less tact) and now . . all of a sudden . . similar comments are 'racist'.

Gosh - it's just like Pavlov's dogs. All Obama has to do is speak and they start drooling.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

A lot of blacks voted for Obama because they were mislead to believe Obama was gonna buy them stuff.
What an incredibly racist thing to say.

No surprise.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Really? What is the reason?

Please be specific.
My opinion

I dont answer to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies