Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,681,256 times

Advertisements

We also frequent farmers markets and small produce stores that buy from local growers. The California garlic growers have been nearly put out of business because of chinese imports. (Pure American garlic will still have root hairs attached so if they been cut off....send it back to china)

Jamob, ever wonder whether the royal Clintons eat chinese imports????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:15 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,448,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
After shipping manufacturing over to China it now looks like they are buying up our food supply to send over there too.

Smithfield agrees to be bought by Chinese meat producer for almost $5B - NBC News.com

Maybe they will send a little melamine our way.
We've been doing what China has just begun to do for a while now; we've been sticking our long straw into everyone else milkshake and sucking them down, and now that learned behavior is coming back to us.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:29 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,942,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
To compete it is necessary to be the lowest cost producer. The world, let alone U.S. people, are unwilling to pay more so that more U.S. people have middle class jobs.

If we eliminate minimum wage, make right to work a federal law, eliminate labor laws, eliminate the EPA, eliminate OSHA and more, the U.S. will be able to compete with the third world and bring those jobs home. That the U.S. standard of living will resemble the third world is incidental.
The US doesn't need to resemble the 3rd world. The govt et al offshored to fatten their investment funds. Funds they keep and do not share. They get bigger all the time. There is a reported 232trillion in derivative contracts in US banks. How do you think that happened?

I look at these funds. I recommend everyone do the same. Some of these funds and transactions are very difficult to see, that is all that so-called shadow banking. Really not hard to see who is involved in that either though.

Looking at the books can be highly beneficial. You speak of the world. People can pay if they have the means. The reason they do not is due to the siphoning and restrictions on the model by those at the top. This has nothing to do with worlds it has to do with the corporate model. From my view it is a flawed system model, that serves the few at the expense of the many.

Last edited by CDusr; 09-25-2013 at 09:18 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,572,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What is "our way of life"?

How will it change?
It's already changed. High unemployment and limited opportunities for our kids. This is the new normal. China owning US companies was a given. They have the money and they're going to spend it buying something. They're buying US debt so they own us and buying US companies so they can make even more money off of us. We're already there.

I think when people say good bye to our way of life they're referring to the American dream but that died long ago when we failed to protect our manufacturing base. We wanted cheap products and refused to buy American because it wasn't cheap enough. Soon we'll buy even our food from the Chinese. I just hope they don't put lead in the food like they do paint on children's toys. All they care about is making a buck off of us but it serves us right. This is what we signed up for because of our own greed. I'm not happy with it but I can see that it is deserved. We're the idiots who keep raising the debt ceiling so China can buy an even bigger piece of us.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,834,620 times
Wrong!~ Greedy disloyal corporations sent your jobs to China...You got double crossed by your own tribal leaders...Don't blame China....the back stabbing was done by those you built up and made rich...then the bastards abandoned you.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,744,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It's already changed. High unemployment and limited opportunities for our kids. This is the new normal. China owning US companies was a given. They have the money and they're going to spend it buying something. They're buying US debt so they own us and buying US companies so they can make even more money off of us. We're already there.

I think when people say good bye to our way of life they're referring to the American dream but that died long ago when we failed to protect our manufacturing base. We wanted cheap products and refused to buy American because it wasn't cheap enough. Soon we'll buy even our food from the Chinese. I just hope they don't put lead in the food like they do paint on children's toys. All they care about is making a buck off of us but it serves us right. This is what we signed up for because of our own greed. I'm not happy with it but I can see that it is deserved. We're the idiots who keep raising the debt ceiling so China can buy an even bigger piece of us.

I have to agree with that. Americans deserve every piece of crap that flushes our way

Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,681,256 times
Quote:

I mostly agree with you except I have always protest buying anything chinese and avoid it as much as humanly possible. Most of the people I know avoid it also. Many of us vigorously protest when the Clinton dynasty sold us down the river but were not heard. Corporate interests had more political clout than citizens.

It isn't the American citizen who had a voice in trashing our culture and way of life, as you stated, greed is behind it as well as the people who shop at the lower class stores stocking their products.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
We've been doing what China has just begun to do for a while now; we've been sticking our long straw into everyone else milkshake and sucking them down, and now that learned behavior is coming back to us.
You framed this well.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,251,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Found this. I didn't know Smithfield owned Farmland brand

Our Brands - Smithfield Foods
Yes, they do. thanks for posting the link.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
Quote:

"Our way of life" was a blip in time, post WW2- pick a decade.

U.S. people have demonstrated their unwillingness to pay a premium for made in the USA.
" Our way of life" depends on exports. The world is unwilling to pay a premium for U.S. manufactured goods that can be acquired elsewhere for less.

China is now the #1 exporter in the world. It is also the #1 importer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies