Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,812 times

Advertisements

The dirty secret behind jeans and bras | Greenpeace East Asia (http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/textile-pollution-xintang-gurao - broken link)

Thank god for globalization. I wouldn't know what I'll do if I had to deal with pollution like this in my town. I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 11:12 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,930 times
I'm thinking most of the unemployed would take just about any job at this point.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Thank god for globalization. I wouldn't know what I'll do if I had to deal with pollution like this in my town. I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries.
...but you wouldn't see pollution like this here in the US because of regulations. It's not that you can't contain it, it's that it cost money to contain and treat it instead of just dumping it. This is one of the reasons China is killing the jobs here.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:18 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...but you wouldn't see pollution like this here in the US because of regulations. It's not that you can't contain it, it's that it cost money to contain and treat it instead of just dumping it. This is one of the reasons China is killing the jobs here.
I agree with this. They get to run things over there and in other countries like that and that helps them continue to make things cheaply. If they want to walk around in chemical dye discharge, that's dumb of them. No one asked them to do that. I've noticed that we in the US demand quality conditions and pay, doing so has left us without some things because our demands can't be met cheaply. It's like the job market competition with illegal immigrants. We expect and demand high wages and good job environments, but employers can get away with not supplying that by hiring illegal immigrants.

We're supposed to lower our standards?

Old 12-09-2010, 01:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

We're supposed to lower our standards?
That's a complicated question to answer, clearly there is many industries that are over regulated and environmental policies that are way overboard but to answer your question in general I don't think so at all.

Having said that it certainly is of no help to industry here if Chinese companies can simply go on polluting like that. I think what we need to do is slowly tighten the noose on imports from countries like China. Demand they implement the same environmental regualtions, labor laws and other things that drive up costs for business in the US.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:06 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,173 times
They are jobs we had in the USA that people fed their families with for decades. Yes I want our Nation to grow some balls and take those jobs back! Hell, I worked some of them before people like clinton and bush h sent them to china! The crap they left us with doesn't pay enough!

Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
That's a complicated question to answer, clearly there is many industries that are over regulated and environmental policies that are way overboard but to answer your question in general I don't think so at all.

Having said that it certainly is of no help to industry here if Chinese companies can simply go on polluting like that. I think what we need to do is slowly tighten the noose on imports from countries like China. Demand they implement the same environmental regualtions, labor laws and other things that drive up costs for business in the US.

Wish I could rep you again.

This is exactly what I have always thought we should do.

China and other countries are polluting the PLANET we all need to survive. We should inact trade laws that prohibit them from exporting their products to our country unless they implement the same environmental laws we live by.

Trade laws like this would help save the planet AND level the playing field. FAIR trade.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times
"Last month's data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics indicated that the jobless rate for Americans with at least a bachelor's degree had risen to 5.1 percent--the highest rate since 1970, when officials started keeping track of such records. The unemployment rate for those with degrees in higher education rose from 4.7 percent in October and 4.4 percent in September. Mark Zandi, chief economist of Moody's Analytics, noted in USA Today that joblessness among those with advanced educational degrees also likely contributed to driving up the overall national unemployment rate to 9.8 percent in November. A total of 2.4 million people with at least bachelor's degrees are said to be unemployed."

Unemployment Rate Rises For College Graduates

I'd like to know what they majored in.

"Davidson notes that the unemployment rate for high school dropouts is more than 15 percent."

But sure, go ahead and make illegals citizens because when they start having to pay them the same wage as current American citizens, and they will have to, watch those unemployment numbers go even higher.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The dirty secret behind jeans and bras | Greenpeace East Asia (http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/textile-pollution-xintang-gurao - broken link)

We used to make those things here without the attendant enviornmental problems. Now you can see one of the reasons it's cheaper to do it overseas, in addition to lower wages for the workers.

It's easy to blame the Chinese government and our own government for such as this (and they DO share a huge portion of the blame), but the corporations which contract with Chinese companies to do what American's used to do share the blame too. It's their product and those Chinese companies are their contractors, so they have the power to stop stuff like that right in it's tracks by simply telling their Chinese partners, "We insist you clean that up. If you don't, we won't buy your jeans."

But, of course, they won't do that because it would cut into their profit. After all, profit trumps human beings any day of the week.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:

i agree, and it will take time for this to play out. i think eventually the chinese will wise up when it comes to polluting their people and their country, like we've done. i bet it could happen, maybe even in my life time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies