Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:40 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sorry but you're sadly mistaken, Joe consumer walks into Wal-Mart and buys the cheapest product they can. To produce these products cheaply the only choice is overseas manufacturing. Are you willing to pay $280 for a pair of boots like me? That is what a quality Made in the USA pair of boots cost.

These corporations and business's have no choice, either cut costs or they will get buried and go bankrupt and that is just the facts.
It's a vicious spiral down, the natural conclusion being that when the American dollar is devalued sufficiently to equal the yuan, the incentive for business is no longer pitting one economy against another. They'll travel to the next low income economy and sell to the highest economy. Both China and US will have served their purpose.

Henry Ford had it right. Pay your employees enough to afford the product they're making and the business & community thrives. If your business is so specialized to a narrow client base of upper crust, you'll only profit in boom years on high commissions. American quality needs a come back and since we're no longer in a position to be the worlds #1 customer, that means others will be our customer. GE and GM alike are taking the lead in that arena. Arms manufacturing-- right now the military industrial complex is a welfare queen to the tune of trillions. All the arguments directed at poor people apply exponentially to corporate welfare hiding behind our troops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 02:43 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The dirty secret behind jeans and bras | Greenpeace East Asia (http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/textile-pollution-xintang-gurao - broken link)

Thank god for globalization. I wouldn't know what I'll do if I had to deal with pollution like this in my town. I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries.
But you are willing to buy the goods (at ridiculous costs compared to their production costs) OR rest calm knowing that your fellow Americans are spending their income on goods produced through all these dirty jobs.

Heck, I sometimes buy stuff made in China. But I would absolutely be willing to pay more for those goods if they were made in the US, under greater regulations and also supporting our own industry and economy.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,094 times
Quote:
The dirty secret behind jeans and bras | Greenpeace East Asia (http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/textile-pollution-xintang-gurao - broken link)

Thank god for globalization. I wouldn't know what I'll do if I had to deal with pollution like this in my town. I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries.
I don't want China's jobs. They have very hard lives working 6 days a week living where they work. They make stuff and don't even know how we use it. It is really sad. Mardi Gras: Made in China (2005) - IMDb

Now, India keeps taking our tech jobs and I find that wrong. The large companies fire entire departments full of people, send the jobs to India and pay them next to nothing. They should be fined heavily for that. And the places they take them to in India are still totally third world for the most part.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:

duh!! they can be given to the illegals crossing our southern border!!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
When the west runs out of money to buy those jeans who will? china made it's fortune selling stuff to the west at a cut rate, but if I don't have a job, I'm not buying jeans or tv's or anything else that's not necessary. So who will?
The new middle class of China, India...

Old 12-10-2010, 07:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
hey buddy,

I am talking about dirty jobs that cause a huge amount of pollution. I don't want those types of jobs in the US. Lets keep exporting (and especially the pollution) to China! We can benefit from lower prices and less pollution. Luckily people like you cannot stop globalization, free trade, and capitalism.
Typical egoist attitude. I am much more worried about those poor Chinese workers than about the US unemployment rate...

Old 12-10-2010, 07:23 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Typical egoist attitude. I am much more worried about those poor Chinese workers than about the US unemployment rate...
Do you think I'll want to export these terrible jobs to them if I really cared about them?

If we export these jobs to China, we get the benefits of lower prices and Chinese have to deal with the pollution.

Job creation is not zero-sum. Americans will be employed by other much cleaner industries over time.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm thinking most of the unemployed would take just about any job at this point.
Go look in the unemployment forum on this site, you'd be surprised at what some aren't willing to do.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I don't want China's jobs. They have very hard lives working 6 days a week living where they work.
You do realize not all Chinese are uneducated workers in manufacturing right? I know, I know, that is quite a shock. Most don't even know Kung Fu either!

When you see a picture of commuters in a Chinese city:

I'd wager most of those people aren't taking the subway to work in a factory.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Do you think I'll want to export these terrible jobs to them if I really cared about them?

If we export these jobs to China, we get the benefits of lower prices and Chinese have to deal with the pollution.

Job creation is not zero-sum. Americans will be employed by other much cleaner industries over time.
Again, what are you saying? That it doesn't matter if Chinese workers suffer from those working conditions? Any Chinese person is just as important as any American...

Nor is your conclusion correct that the US will do clean stuff instead. There is only so much material stuff to be produced, and when most of that is outsourced, there is not much left anymore. No country can live on services alone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies