Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The dirty secret behind jeans and bras | Greenpeace East Asia (http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/textile-pollution-xintang-gurao - broken link)

Thank god for globalization. I wouldn't know what I'll do if I had to deal with pollution like this in my town. I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries.
This can't be serious? Reagan SOLD THIS COUNTRY OUT and manufacturing went down the tubes.

There is no FREE TRADE.

I REFUSE to buy cheap crap made in China. FU Walmart and FU Macys and everyone else that sells it. I look for American made and other countries that are true partners with us and yes it costs more.

Then idiots BUY THIS CHEAP CHINA CRAP. If WE KNOW they make 10 cents a freaking week, WHY IS THIS SWEATER $200? STOP BUYING IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,536,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
It's a vicious spiral down, the natural conclusion being that when the American dollar is devalued sufficiently to equal the yuan, the incentive for business is no longer pitting one economy against another. They'll travel to the next low income economy and sell to the highest economy. Both China and US will have served their purpose.

Henry Ford had it right. Pay your employees enough to afford the product they're making and the business & community thrives. If your business is so specialized to a narrow client base of upper crust, you'll only profit in boom years on high commissions. American quality needs a come back and since we're no longer in a position to be the worlds #1 customer, that means others will be our customer. GE and GM alike are taking the lead in that arena. Arms manufacturing-- right now the military industrial complex is a welfare queen to the tune of trillions. All the arguments directed at poor people apply exponentially to corporate welfare hiding behind our troops.

Great post!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Do you think I'll want to export these terrible jobs to them if I really cared about them?

If we export these jobs to China, we get the benefits of lower prices and Chinese have to deal with the pollution.
You're missing the point of my posts. They can do these jobs here but again It's expensive to contain the waste and meet other EPA regualtions which makes it unprofitable here. Those lower prices come at a cost because wealth is being transferred to China. While most of the pollution may be localized that is global issue as well, especially with things like Mercury.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:05 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Aaaaah, next to no environmental laws, paying people 30 cents an hour, child labor,..It's a republicans dream!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,964 times
Quote:
The dirty secret behind jeans and bras | Greenpeace East Asia (http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/textile-pollution-xintang-gurao - broken link)

Thank god for globalization. I wouldn't know what I'll do if I had to deal with pollution like this in my town. I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries.
Didn't read the article but I want to respond to the tile of hte thread. I know three people in the past year that have gotten high paying (>100k) jobs in China in hte laboratory automation industry. The required skills are software engineering, algorithm development, and cellular knowledge. I'd have liked to have joined them but my Chinese is nowhere near good enough (yet). A salary of > $100k is nice in America. It is MUCh nicer in China (outside of Beijing, Shanghai, or other super expensive cities).
Not all jobs in China are low-wage. They are taking high tech jobs too.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:01 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:

Clothing does not have to be made with toxic dyes. Mine are not because I seek out fair trade and environmentally safe manufactured items. I do realize that most people do not care one way or another, but those are the same people that think the steak in the superrmarket refrigerator grew there. They have no concept of where any product originated from. Americans are pretty dumb. If you do not demand better, you get what you settle for.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,695 times
Quote:

i think that is a terrible and immoral opinion and says a lot about the source.

Quote:
hey buddy,

I am talking about dirty jobs that cause a huge amount of pollution. I don't want those types of jobs in the US. Lets keep exporting (and especially the pollution) to China! We can benefit from lower prices and less pollution.
i wish people like you didn't exist. this is disgusting. and you don't care about the chinese? they are people that you don't have to personally care for but that is really awful. it's kind of like a sociopathic mentality.

it's also indicative of the short-term selfish and inhumane thinking that is the root cause of the redundant and regurgitated problems. how pathetic.

Last edited by rory00; 12-10-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You do realize not all Chinese are uneducated workers in manufacturing right? I know, I know, that is quite a shock. Most don't even know Kung Fu either!

When you see a picture of commuters in a Chinese city:

I'd wager most of those people aren't taking the subway to work in a factory.
The people who work and live in factories are usually the rural folks looking to leave their towns.

The majority of Chinese IN China have terrible unhappy lives. It takes forever to come over here once your sponsor starts the process. They allow their children to act like morons because they only get one usually, or they are fined heavily or get no birth certificate and essentially no future. They have terrible air quality in Beijing. Yes, I know some "decent" jobs make it there - as my family is involved in some manufacturing plants that are over there for computer "parts".

It is still nothing MOST of us would want to do.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
They are jobs we had in the USA that people fed their families with for decades. Yes I want our Nation to grow some balls and take those jobs back! Hell, I worked some of them before people like clinton and bush h sent them to china! The crap they left us with doesn't pay enough!
I totally agree. I live in a manufacturing community that has been devastated by outsourcing. Those jobs went to Mexico and were replaced with fast food restaurants. Many of the people that were laid off are now working two or three jobs just to make ends meet. My town went from being thriving to having a high poverty rate. And people wonder why there are so many on welfare. Well, if your job is gone overseas for good, that savings will only last so long. Fast food jobs don't support families.

Now, we have IT jobs, medical transcription, medical billing and coding, accounting, paralegal, and even some food is now imported. There is no career available that has enough openings right now to absorb all the people that have lost jobs to outsourcing. We just can't keep allowing China, India, and Mexico to keep taking all of our jobs.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:55 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:

You'll think differently when they export your job to another country.

At my company, we have shared customer service centers, R&D, and financial transaction centers in places like India and China. They are worked by college educated and highly motivated employees who cost about a third of what some college ****** in the US would. I've personally watched this trend take off in the last five years at a variety of companies, and it's not going to stop. It's not just the "bad jobs" that are going overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies