Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:31 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The dirty secret behind jeans and bras | Greenpeace East Asia (http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/news/textile-pollution-xintang-gurao - broken link)

Thank god for globalization. I wouldn't know what I'll do if I had to deal with pollution like this in my town. I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries.
I think we should export your job.....

Greenpeace is the last place I'd go for news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 PM

243 posts, read 274,953 times
When the west runs out of money to buy those jeans who will? china made it's fortune selling stuff to the west at a cut rate, but if I don't have a job, I'm not buying jeans or tv's or anything else that's not necessary. So who will?

Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I think we should export your job.....

Greenpeace is the last place I'd go for news!
Those conditions are no secret, it doesn't matter whether Greenpeace or others describe them...

Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Those conditions are no secret, it doesn't matter whether Greenpeace or others describe them...
"I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries."

I was just pissed off at the OP's remark about exporting more jobs.

I'm sure there are at least a million Americans that would agree with me about being pissed.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,582,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"I think we should export more dirty jobs to other countries."

I was just pissed off at the OP's remark about exporting more jobs.

I'm sure there are at least a million Americans that would agree with me about being pissed.
hey buddy,

I am talking about dirty jobs that cause a huge amount of pollution. I don't want those types of jobs in the US. Lets keep exporting (and especially the pollution) to China! We can benefit from lower prices and less pollution. Luckily people like you cannot stop globalization, free trade, and capitalism.

Last edited by Bostonian123; 12-09-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 01:51 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sorry but you're sadly mistaken, Joe consumer walks into Wal-Mart and buys the cheapest product they can. To produce these products cheaply the only choice is overseas manufacturing. Are you willing to pay $280 for a pair of boots like me? That is what a quality Made in the USA pair of boots cost.

These corporations and business's have no choice, either cut costs or they will get buried and go bankrupt and that is just the facts.
General Motors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not are arguing your point. But if you look at the revenue of the largest corporations in the world and compare the percentages of their revenue that they get from the United States ten years ago and now you'll see that on a percentage basis the amount of revenue that comes from the United States has declined. In 1980 GM sold no cars in China it's now GM's second largest market. At some point GM will sell more cars in China than they do in the United States.

Quote:
General Motors is headquartered at the Renaissance Center in Detroit. It employs approximately 266,000 people around the world. In 2009, General Motors sold 6.5 million cars and trucks globally. General Motor's biggest success has been in the People's Republic of China, where its sales rose 66.9 percent in 2009, selling 1,830,000 vehicles and accounting for 13.4 percent of the market.[4]

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...ual_Report.pdf

Page 2 of Intel's 2009 annual report:

In 1999 Intel Corporations got 43% of their revenue from the Americas and 23% from the Asia-Pacific region. In 2009 they got 20% of their revenue from the Americas and 55% from the Asia-Pacific region.

The United States matters it just matters a hell of lot less in a world where you have serveral larege countries with expanding middle classes.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:01 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,787,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...but you wouldn't see pollution like this here in the US because of regulations. It's not that you can't contain it, it's that it cost money to contain and treat it instead of just dumping it. This is one of the reasons China is killing the jobs here.
And Chinese are killing themselves right along with American jobs. Who benefits most from this arrangement? I think a better plan could be implemented, and much as I understand an isolationist policy in full force isn't healthy, neither is this arrangement. Global trade imbalance needs to be addressed directly, and American Companies/ jobs have a shot at rooting here.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM

Oh, and another thing-- we've done considerable homework about environmental regulation, toxics mgmt & remediation that we could be selling that technology to China. Send the liberals & greenies to china to sell the ideas, it's killing 2 birds with one stone.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
hey buddy,

I am talking about dirty jobs that cause a huge amount of pollution. I don't want those types of jobs in the US. Lets keep exporting (and especially the pollution) to China! We can benefit from lower prices and less pollution. Luckily people like you cannot stop globalization, free trade, and capitalism.
Is it free trade? How many palms need greasing in world governments? This includes our own congress.
No, what I see is crony capitalism happening on a global scale. Not free trade.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,688,502 times
This out today -some of our D leaders working hard for the Chinese to get stimulus money. These are not dirty jobs but jobs in the wind sector.

Dems help Chinese firm chase stimulus - Business - Going Green - msnbc.com

ETA: did not realize someone had already started a thread on this.... but still "fits" given these are not "dirty" jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies