Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here believe a Mitt Romney administration would have acted any differently? I don't get why people keep talking about Democrats vs Republicans on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 04:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Oh Obama, you filthy liar:

10 Questions: Warrantless Wiretaps - YouTube

Old 06-06-2013, 04:55 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykids2011 View Post
What is going on???
US government secretly collecting phone records of millions of Americans

Revealed: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Americans daily http://trib.al/zShb6ID

Report: NSA collecting Verizon customers' telephone records - The Source - Latest news and updates from Boston.com

Exclusive: Top secret court order requiring Verizon to hand over all call data shows scale of domestic surveillance under Obama administration

Report: NSA collecting Verizon customers' telephone records
Posted by Angela Nelson, Boston.com Staff June 5, 2013 08:58 PM

The National Security Administration is collecting telephone records of Verizon customers, according to a report by the U.K.-based The Guardian.
The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk – regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing
According to The Guardian, a court order "requires Verizon on an 'ongoing, daily basis' to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries."
Click here to view the court order, as posted on The Guardian's website. The order does not specify whether the phone records are related to Verizon's landline or wireless businesses, or both.
Not really anything new, or news. It's been going on for quite some time.

Bush Administration's Warrantless Wiretapping Program - Washington Post

Quote:
President Bush authorized a surveillance program in late 2001, allowing the NSA to monitor communications between the United States and foreign countries without court oversight when a party is believed to be linked to al-Qaeda. Administration officials have recently acknowledged that the NSA program was broader, and intelligence sources have described a vast effort to collect and analyze telephone and e-mail communications that were later scrutinized by the government for desired information. There have been fierce disagreements about the program's legality. Critics say the agency's eavesdropping activities violate the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA), when "there is probable cause to believe" that one of the parties is a member of a terrorist group.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Not really anything new, or news. It's been going on for quite some time.

Bush Administration's Warrantless Wiretapping Program - Washington Post
I'd say this is new. Blanket surveillance of 121,000,000 Verizon subscribers with no specific justification of terrorist intent. That's 1/3 of Americans with just this ONE secret court order.
Think maybe they have secret court orders on the other telecommunication guys as well ?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:04 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Does anyone here believe a Mitt Romney administration would have acted any differently? I don't get why people keep talking about Democrats vs Republicans on this thread.
It's part of the divide and conquer strategy being used against the American people to keep anything from actually getting accomplished. It's gotten to ridiculous levels now were the topic is often quickly lost in a sea of hyper partisan bickering. In the really good forums I frequent moderators have started deleting post that don't stay on topic and attempt to smother legitimate conversation.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not sure why the "us vs them" attitude, when the program is seven years old, and we have had Republican and Democrat presidents, and Republican and Democrat Congresses during those seven years.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:59 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,889 times
This shouldn't be a progressive vs conservative issue. I consider myself a progressive and my opinion of the administration is at a low point right now. Not that I think a Romney admin would be any different, sadly.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Shill. Define "Terrorist" please.
Terrorist is someone who hostile to the government

Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykids2011 View Post
What is going on???
US government secretly collecting phone records of millions of Americans

Revealed: NSA collecting phone records of millions of Americans daily http://trib.al/zShb6ID

Report: NSA collecting Verizon customers' telephone records - The Source - Latest news and updates from Boston.com

Exclusive: Top secret court order requiring Verizon to hand over all call data shows scale of domestic surveillance under Obama administration

Report: NSA collecting Verizon customers' telephone records
Posted by Angela Nelson, Boston.com Staff June 5, 2013 08:58 PM

The National Security Administration is collecting telephone records of Verizon customers, according to a report by the U.K.-based The Guardian.
The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk – regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing
According to The Guardian, a court order "requires Verizon on an 'ongoing, daily basis' to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries."
Click here to view the court order, as posted on The Guardian's website. The order does not specify whether the phone records are related to Verizon's landline or wireless businesses, or both.

glad i dont use a company for my cell phone, pay as you go is the way to go. I can throw it away with no way to track my phone back to me.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:17 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
ACLU calls NSA Verizon spying scandal "Orwellian".

ACLU's Steve Brown: NSA spying 'approaching Orwellian' | Breaking News | providencejournal.com | The Providence Journal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies