Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2013, 01:28 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Mighty funny that conservatives are forcing the hand of the Dems in power yet conservatives couldn't get their guy into the Oval Office last November.

Sorry Iamme73 but you are just giving your party an easy out by blaming the right and portraying the left as victims.
First, I am not a Democrat. Secondly, I am stating facts the RIGHT is mostly to blame. This is historical fact.

This is the whole point in order for this dumb stuff not to happen again we have to acknowledge reality and conservatives have to change their love of the surveillance state.

Look after September 11th, conservatives wanted a war on terror, this war on terror which is a call for perpetual war because you'll never end all terror, flowed to a creation of expanded powers to fight the war on terror and get into these secret terrorist organizations to spy on them and stop them.

The Patriot Act was created to do this. It expanded a bunch of ways in which the government can spy, this was the WHOLE point of the Patriot Act by the way.

Also conservatives cheerleaded the idea of pre-emptive war by attacking Iraq. conservatives supported the idea of the US government torturing people. conservatives supported the idea of indefinite detention, and still support keeping GITMO open and not having trials for terrorists.

conservatives are mostly to blame and have learned very little from the horrible policies conservatives supported and still support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 01:28 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,092,281 times
I've been following the rise of the Surveillance State post Patriot Act for quite some time now and many of you would be shocked to find out how invasive the US government has gotten even when they're not tracking suspected terrorist. Let me just tell you that what's going on now makes the FBI’s COINTELPRO look like a minor infraction by comparison. That’s why I’ve been so insistent that the Patriot Act be repealed or at least reformed and this is especially true in light of the abuses that come to light almost daily by the US intelligence agencies.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:31 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times
This has less to do with political idealogy right or left and more to do with CYA government. They'll do anything, including trample our rights, not to get blamed for screwing up.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:34 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,448,492 times
Erich Honecker would be proud..!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
But that is what happens, the judge isn't going to be the one to stand in the way of them getting the terrorists, a private company isn't going to want to be in the way of them getting the terrorists, congress isn't going to want to be in the way of them getting the terrorists, so basically there seems to be little oversight, which is all very predictable and obvious.

Now the lesson for all should be to end the war on terror, close GITMO, get out of Afghanistan, stop the whole idea of indefinite detention, kill the Patriot Act.

But conservatives don't want to do any of that. President Obama gave a speech very recently in which he said this war has to end and these expanded powers have to end.

conservatives the next day, the same day, the minute he stopped talking were saying they disagreed with the President, that we are at war, and that GITMO has to stay open, that the war in Afghanistan has to continue, etc. This is where conservatives are and they love the Patriot Act.
I don't want a judge to stand in the way of them getting terrorists. I want a judge to stand in the way of them violating the Constitution and violating the rights of Americans. What's pathetic about this is that the terrorists want the American government to betray the principles it was founded upon. And that's exactly what it is doing.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
First, I am not a Democrat. Secondly, I am stating facts the RIGHT is mostly to blame. This is historical fact.

This is the whole point in order for this dumb stuff not to happen again we have to acknowledge reality and conservatives have to change their love of the surveillance state.

Look after September 11th, conservatives wanted a war on terror, this war on terror which is a call for perpetual war because you'll never end all terror, flowed to a creation of expanded powers to fight the war on terror and get into these secret terrorist organizations to spy on them and stop them.

The Patriot Act was created to do this. It expanded a bunch of ways in which the government can spy, this was the WHOLE point of the Patriot Act by the way.

Also conservatives cheerleaded the idea of pre-emptive war by attacking Iraq. conservatives supported the idea of the US government torturing people. conservatives supported the idea of indefinite detention, and still support keeping GITMO open and not having trials for terrorists.

conservatives are mostly to blame and have learned very little from the horrible policies conservatives supported and still support.
Just stop it already..Obama is responsible for this over reach that is happening NOW. Deal with it.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You need to stop listening to what Obama says and start reading about what Obama DOES.
Obama has signed all of these bills and extensions to the Patriot Act.

What Obama says is not what he does and there is the problem that many Dems don't see.
Get out of here. I opposed all of this crap, while conservatives were cheerleading. If people like me had of been listened to Iraq wouldn't have been invaded, GITMO would have never been created, torture would have never been allowed, Homeland Security would have never been created and the Patriot Act would have never been law.

People like me have been RIGHT the whole time on the disastrous consequences of the choices to go to war against terror that conservatives cheer leaded.

President Obama is using the Patriot Act and is carrying out the war on terror and using drone strikes and the whole nine, but again, when he tried to close GITMO conservatives stopped him, when he tries to get away from using words like war on terror, conservatives scream, when he says I want to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, conservatives yell.

Again this stuff was already well down the track when he took over. I don't like that he expanded the war in Afghanistan. I don't like the drone strikes, but I understand that this is what he inherited and you can't just stop.

I want to take these things AWAY from President Obama, I want an end to the war, I want to close Gitmo, I want the Patriot Act killed.
Just like I did in 2001, I have not changed a single opinion about the war against terror. I knew the Patriot Act was crappy policy over 10years ago.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Just stop it already..Obama is responsible for this over reach that is happening NOW. Deal with it.
The creation of the Patriot Act, and the idea of perpetual war, torture, indefinite detention you can't see where that all inevitably leads?

and oh forget it, conservatives don't learn anything.

End the war on terror, get out of Afghanistan, kill the Patriot Act, close GITMO have trials for terrorist, get rid of the idea of indefinite detention and the expanded powers to fight the war on terrorism ends.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
Get out of here. I opposed all of this crap, while conservatives were cheerleading. If people like me had of been listened to Iraq wouldn't have been invaded, GITMO would have never been created, torture would have never been allowed, Homeland Security would have never been created and the Patriot Act would have never been law.

People like me have been RIGHT the whole time on the disastrous consequences of the choices to go to war against terror that conservatives cheer leaded.

President Obama is using the Patriot Act and is carrying out the war on terror and using drone strikes and the whole nine, but again, when he tried to close GITMO conservatives stopped him, when he tries to get away from using words like war on terror, conservatives scream, when he says I want to get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, conservatives yell.

Again this stuff was already well down the track when he took over. I don't like that he expanded the war in Afghanistan. I don't like the drone strikes, but I understand that this is what he inherited and you can't just stop.

I want to take these things AWAY from President Obama, I want an end to the war, I want to close Gitmo, I want the Patriot Act killed.
Just like I did in 2001, I have not changed a single opinion about the war against terror. I knew the Patriot Act was crappy policy over 10years ago.
Good, you want it killed like many others do, now get a grip and stop the partisan blame game. Obama didn't close Gitmo even when he had full control of everything. He didn't repeal or change the Patriot Act, just took it further. Obama is meddling in every country he can get his hands on. Doesn't sound much different than Bush right? The TRUTH of the matter is, the DEMOCRATS could have prevented this from happening and didn't, same with the R's during the Bush years. It's not a strict partisan issue, everyone in DC on BOTH sides want their try at Tyranny. We should ALL be outraged at THAT alone.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't want a judge to stand in the way of them getting terrorists. I want a judge to stand in the way of them violating the Constitution and violating the rights of Americans. What's pathetic about this is that the terrorists want the American government to betray the principles it was founded upon. And that's exactly what it is doing.
LOL, you just don't get it. SMH. The creation of the Patriot Act is the freaking problem, the war against terror is the freaking problem, as long as the nation is at war, as long as we are in a war against terrorists, then the expansion of the surveillance state will continue. There is no other way around this reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies