Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Okay you've complete lost me there. What on earth are you talking about??

You said:
Quote:
Some of those beliefs tend to lead directly or indirectly to harming innocent people.

Holding a belief, having an opinion, and/or voicing an opinion is NOT committing a crime or an act of violence. If someone commits a crime or an act of violence, regardless of the reason, charge them with committing the crime, then if it is a crime against another human, give them the maximum sentence the law allows.

I am certain that there are beliefs that people hold which some consider hate, harmful, etc, yet others consider them beneficial. A belief is not an action against another human being. An opinion is not an action against another human being. A calmly expressed opinion is not an action against another human being. So it appears you are basing your comments on someone doing harm beyond their belief or opinion... or you are suggesting that the harm committed was in having someone's feelings hurt. One is prejudicial, the other is based upon "feelings" which I commented upon.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:35 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Anyone who posts anything on Facebook, like that, should be fired, if for no other reason than being stupid.

When will people learn. There is no such thing as free speech.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It seems like the idea that many are voicing is that the employer has the right to fire someone who expresses views on social media that are deemed detrimental to that employer. In the case of this employer, an employee voicing derogatory comments about another race could certainly have an impact on the employer, and the way they are viewed by the community.

That is no different than a private business. If a business owner has analysed his business environment and customer base, it is perfectly reasonable for them to conclude that one political party being in power may be detrimental to their business. So by the same argument as above, a conservative business owner, whose customers are primarily conservative, would be perfectly within his rights to fire someone that expressed support for the Democratic party in social media.

So now political correctness trumps GOD given rights.

Yup, you get what you ask for...

A large slice of marinated Fascism tastes great when it's served with a slice of your own a$$ being handed to you at the same time. Mmmmm mmmmm!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Anyone who posts anything on Facebook, like that, should be fired, if for no other reason than being stupid.

When will people learn there is no longer such a thing as liberty in this fascist country?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:02 PM

601 posts, read 1,075,932 times
People pray for this woman, she's mentally divided. She only see what she wants to see. Some people have a lot of growing up to do and some never will.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Holding a belief, having an opinion, and/or voicing an opinion is NOT committing a crime or an act of violence. If someone commits a crime or an act of violence, regardless of the reason, charge them with committing the crime, then if it is a crime against another human, give them the maximum sentence the law allows.

I am certain that there are beliefs that people hold which some consider hate, harmful, etc, yet others consider them beneficial. A belief is not an action against another human being. An opinion is not an action against another human being. A calmly expressed opinion is not an action against another human being. So it appears you are basing your comments on someone doing harm beyond their belief or opinion... or you are suggesting that the harm committed was in having someone's feelings hurt. One is prejudicial, the other is based upon "feelings" which I commented upon.
No I'm not suggesting that believing something is wrong. You can believe in anything you want. My personal guideline for how the law should view right and wrong: Your right to swing your fist around the room ends when it connects with another person's face.

Racism has led to a lot of actual crimes and a lot of actual wrongdoing. Carrying around the idiot notion that black people are inherently bad or dumb or somehow any different than the rest of us based solely on the color of their skin does cause bad things to happen. A black friend I worked with had an experience as a 12 year old kid that illustrates this perfectly. For starters, his family was rich. He and his dad were in the car - a Jaguar - together and his dad needed to stop at the bank. So he leaves his 12 year old son in the car and goes into the bank. My friend doesn't have the keys of course, and just for the heck of it he hops over to the driver's seat. A couple of cops spotted this 12 year old black kid "attempting to steal a car," grabbed him, handcuffed him and quite roughly dragged him into the bank to find the owner of the car. His dad was furious, but it actually took him saying, "Take the handcuffs off of my son!" repeatedly before the police let him go. They actually tried to argue with him. Where did these policemen get the notion that any black kid sitting in the front seat of a Jaguar was trying to steal it? And the more black people you get to know the sooner you realize how commonplace this sort of experience is.

Racism can and does lead to real harm. We'd be better off giving up on the idiot notion that melanin production has any bearing on what kind of person anyone is. But at the end of the day, yes people have to right to be idiots.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:33 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
I'm having difficulty feeling sorry for this woman especially when her employer had a specific media policy that she either failed to read or failed to comply.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
If you say something that your employer doesn't like, which is embarrassing to them, which puts then in a tricky position, they will fire you. Always have, always will, nothing to do with free speech. Some people just can't handle the freedoms we give them, they really really can't, and end up like this gal did. She had the freedom to say or not say, publically and online for the world to see, these words.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Dealing with the lower orders can leave one jaded and cynical. She's out of line for sure but when you deal with stupidity regularly you just snap.

I suspect her sentiments are shared with cops, firemen and anyone else who deals with ghetto folks especially Black ghetto folks on a regular basis. The difference is that most aren't stupid enough to post their feelings on Facebook.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

This sort of attitude is the reason why fascists are able to take power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.