Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Probably coincidence with the margarine but in the mid 80's my Grandmother who was in her mid sixties at the time had to have a triple bypass. This was a healthy woman that grew up on a farm etc. She just celebrated her 95th birthday and the only thing slowing her down is her one knee.
yes, my pop pop used lard, made his own wine, lived to be 107. Yanno why, they raised they're own food, chickens, beef, huge garden and canned all their food.

No preservatives, no chemicals....that is what studies should show...but they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I'm still waiting for the order to put 16 year olds in a car seat.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:37 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
regardless of what studies show, and let me tell you, studies are not always conclusive, every few years, they change the results of studies, remember when margarine was supposed to be healthier then butter? Anyway, my point is, it is not up to government to decide, limit what we eat, b/c they deem it healthier, period.
It is up to the individual....all these people walking around with their water bottles sucking on them like it is their passifier, my gosh, some people absolutely over do. They go to the complete opposite of the spectrum.
Take for instance, working out...I used to work out seven days a week, loved it, felt rejuvinated...ran, walked and worked out at the gym. However, my knees blew out, and I ended up with two knee replacements...when I see people running, I think to myself, boy, they have no idea what they are in for later in life...that pounding on the concrete is fatal to knees and back. But they don't tell you that? why? You should have seen all the people in the doctors office with knee problems, it is a huge money making machine for the doctors, as any other disease.
People's bodies are different I guess. Some guy at my gym ruined his back in his 20's, while some old man goes swimming everyday without a problem.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:39 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
yes, my pop pop used lard, made his own wine, lived to be 107. Yanno why, they raised they're own food, chickens, beef, huge garden and canned all their food.

No preservatives, no chemicals....that is what studies should show...but they don't.
Saturated fat and the anti oxidants found in wine are actually healthy in moderate amounts. The French have better heart health because of that.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
GCharlotte
1) Why not banning tobacco? That's got to be closer to smoking asbestos than salt is.
Because they can tax it and make money on tobacco

Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:

Maybe. Could have something to do with genes too.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Saturated fat and the anti oxidants found in wine are actually healthy in moderate amounts. The French have better heart health because of that.
Again, maybe. Or it could be that there is a common gene pool that provides a lot of benefit. Would be interesting to drop an American infant into a French family and see what happens if raised the same. Studies might already exist but I'm too lazy for that.

I just think so much is anecdotal even with studies if you are studying people that are similar in other ways. Now if that works for immigrants I'd be more apt to agree.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid

Saturated fat and the anti oxidants found in
wine are actually healthy in moderate amounts. The French have better heart
health because of that.
It's also because they walk a lot more and stop eating when they're full, unlike Americans.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Shouldn't salt be hard currency since it is highly valued amongst the largest number of people?

Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Maybe. Could have something to do with genes too.
Yes, well, most genes do not like insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies