Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If I'm to understand you correctly it's the governments business to decide how good food tastes, you're not talking about the health aspect but actually how it tastes.

Here's a clue, don't go back to the restaurant. Problem solved.
Use your head. What I meant is simple to understand. It's full of salt to disguise the lack of actual seasoning and quality, therefore, full of salt, which in turn, is unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Nobody is getting the proper amount of sodium now. They're getting way, way miore than they need.
Maybe but so what if it doesn't cause any problems?

And pray tell, what is the average % above RDA value that everyone is getting?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

Let's focus in on Chinatown in NYC for a moment...It's filthy and a Chinese business person's reputation for not giving a damn about what type of product they serve up is well known when we take into consideration all the crap product that has turned out to be toxic. Sorry, but a Chinese run business here is no differnt than a Chinese run business in China. The bottom line is all that counts and quality is never a priority. The government should set standards because they will not regulate themsleves.

Then don't freaking eat there! If enough people decide not to eat there, they'll be gone. If others do like what they serve, it's none of Bloomie's (or your) business.

God, that guy is hideous. NYC deserves exactly what it got.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Use your head. What I meant is simple to understand. It's full of salt to disguise the lack of actual seasoning and quality, therefore, full of salt, which in turn, is unhealthy.
How is it unhealthy?

Old 06-07-2013, 07:15 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Ok, don't know if any of you have heard about this, but here goes.
Mayor Bloomburg and Philadelphia's Nutter, are launching a salt attack on all Chinese foods.
Here is what they are doing...

Now remember, you have parents begging them to keep schools open and they've been saying there is NO MONEY for ANYTHING, right?

well, they put together a team, paying them a salary, of course, to go out and train Professional Chefs how to cook food, with less salt, using other flavors....I'm talking Chefs all over NYC and Philly, who are once again, Professional Chefs...?????????

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with these people?

Restaurant Chefs Boiling Over NYC Mayor's Salt Crackdown | Fox News

Mayor Bloomberg: 21 food companies cut salt from popular products - CBS News

OK, let me repeat this, they are paying a whole new appointed team, and remember, they have no money for anything, to go forth, and set up cooking classes for all chinese resturant chefs, to cook with less salt

MY GOD people, what is wrong with these people? These leaders are freakin nuts....with all the issues that need to be adressed in this country, in NYC and Philly, and these so called qualified leaders are pulling this? What the heck else are they spending our hard earned tax dollars on???????????????

People, please, wake up and start holding these people accountable, this is arsinine, it is time to put a stop to all this crazy spending, I mean parents are literally BEGGING them to keep schools open, firemen and police are being laid off....and they have NO MONEY?????????

I mean a Judge had to literally put a stop to Bloomburg's crazy initiative on Soda....this guy is nuts....absolutely lost his friggin marbles....and they call themselves leaders, and what is worse, WHO put these people in charge? Nutter isn't any better? They keep spending money they don't have on frivolous unimportant issues, when we have real issues that need to be addressed....

and by the way, OBAMA promised he would stop pork barrel spending? Has he...absolutely not...

It is NOT up to government to make these kind of decissions!!!!!! What the heck are we paying them a salary for, this kind of bull?
I do not agree with any war on food. people can make their own food choices in stores and restaurants. I do like that California lists calories on all menus, even drive thru menus. that helps people make informed decisions. I would also like to see GMO foods labeled. but if someone still wants to eat salty, delicious Chinese food or a big gulp, they're going to do it whether it's labeled or not.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Nobody is getting the proper amount of sodium now. They're getting way, way miore than they need.
Yeah but why should the State or Federal Government step in Regulate how much someone chooses to consume.

Since if they ban or limit salt being used to season things at fast food or take out places what's to stop someone from taking the food home and pouring half a box of table salt on their fries and consuming that?

I mean salt is only unhealthy if people choose to consume large amounts of it but no one is forcing them to consume it... Rather people choose to consume it and thus education on consuming to much of anything is bad for you and maybe offering healthier alternatives on the menu is better than all out Government bans.

Since it affects the people that like to have it once and while and do not over consume it and eat healthy and exercise but hey a burger and fries from a take-out Restaurant every once and while is fine in moderation esp. with a Ice Cold beer to wash it down IMO.

Then again if I drink too much beer in one sitting it could kill me also and we all know how prohibition of alcohol failed.. So why try to ban or limit Salt or Soda?

It is going to fail and only coast taxpayers tons of money in the process fighting something that the Government has no authority or reason to interfere with..

Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Yeah but why should the State or Federal Government step in Regulate how much someone chooses to consume.

Since if they ban or limit salt being used to season things at fast food or take out places what's to stop someone from taking the food home and pouring half a box of table salt on their fries and consuming that?

I mean salt is only unhealthy if people choose to consume large amounts of it but no one is forcing them to consume it... Rather people choose to consume it and thus education on consuming to much of anything is bad for you and maybe offering healthier alternatives on the menu is better than all out Government bans.
For your first question, we can't be trusted. For your second that's a good question. Are they going to ban salt packets too? If they did you could still bring your own in or use the shaker at the table. Processed food is the really only soft target here.

If someone is obese then the food that the salt is on is far more dangerous. If you have a heart condition hopefully you know that by getting checkups (though the science there seems to be getting iffy).

Maybe this is a hidden method to get rid of "junk food". Make it least tasty and people won't eat it?

My bet is that if you have a Doritos habit and shake it because salt is taken out then food addicts will just replace it with more sugar and fat.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
For your first question, we can't be trusted. For your second that's a good question. Are they going to ban salt packets too? If they did you could still bring your own in or use the shaker at the table. Processed food is the really only soft target here.

If someone is obese then the food that the salt is on is far more dangerous. If you have a heart condition hopefully you know that by getting checkups (though the science there seems to be getting iffy).

Maybe this is a hidden method to get rid of "junk food". Make it least tasty and people won't eat it?

My bet is that if you have a Doritos habit and shake it because salt is taken out then food addicts will just replace it with more sugar and fat.
I say this objectively and as a Canadian and it seems you guys are losing your freedoms at an alarming rate and if we are noticing it then you guys surly must see it more clearly then us...

It makes me wonder what your Government is doing down there since it seems either the Federal or State Government has their hand in everything and controlling and everything you do and is slowly taking away every right and freedom you should have by pulling things like these bans

But if they do ban sugary drinks and salty snacks then send up north to us and we will eat and consume them for ya..

Cause that's what a Good Next-door Neighbors and Friends are for if you don't want that bag of Doritos and case of Coke we will gladly enjoy if you are just going to Ban it then dump it or throw it out... But only if it is not past the best before date

Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I say this objectively and as a Canadian and it seems you guys are losing your freedoms at an alarming rate and if we are noticing it then you guys surly must see it more clearly then us...

It makes me wonder what your Government is doing down there since it seems either the Federal or State Government has their hand in everything and controlling and everything you do and is slowly taking away every right and freedom you should have by pulling things like these bans

But if they do ban sugary drinks and salty snacks then send up north to us and we will eat and consume them for ya..

Cause that's what a Good Next-door Neighbors and Friends are for if you don't want that bag of Doritos and case of Coke we will gladly enjoy if you are just going to Ban it then dump it or throw it out... But only if it is not past the best before date
Overall I think we're freer we just have a couple usurpers that think everyone needs to be babysat and our hands slapped NO! when we reach for the wrong thing.

I told my brother about you guys finally getting caffeine in Mtn. Dew. He said to watch out for New Coke when it shows up since you're on the 80s timeline

But like I said, the law of unintended consequences. Bloomburg also launched a loan-a-bike program which is probably good and might get people in shape but a lot of New Yorkers don't know how to ride a bike and now they get to do it at age 50 in city traffic. I'm sure nothing will go wrong.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
bloomtard at it again soon their might be a mass exodus out of new York..
New Yorkers will have to leave town ... just to get a decent meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies