Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Ok, don't know if any of you have heard about this, but here goes.
Mayor Bloomburg and Philadelphia's Nutter, are launching a salt attack on all Chinese foods.
Here is what they are doing...
OK, yah nanny state is bad. He has no business doing this. But what I'm surprised to not see a lot of in the linked article are some facts like:

1) Why not banning tobacco? That's got to be closer to smoking asbestos than salt is.

2) FACT: There is no scientific proof that salt is bad for you. This is his personal, non-medical guess.

3) We need salt and some of us iodine that is added. Therefore, if someone is getting the proper amount of sodium now, they will be getting only 75% (ish) at the end of this 5 year plan. That means the potential for salt deficiencies.

So, government nosing in where they don't belong to sell science that doesn't exist while not have the Bs to go after real health issues.

The law of unintended consequences dictates that more people will be harmed by fixing something that is not broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
So, you are one of those types that doesn't mind when a food place serves you food tastes like ****, but drowning in salt to cover up the lack of quality preparation and ingredients. Good for you to defend the places that do this. .
If I'm to understand you correctly it's the governments business to decide how good food tastes, you're not talking about the health aspect but actually how it tastes.

Here's a clue, don't go back to the restaurant. Problem solved.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
Wonder if Bloomburg realizes he is making a joke of NYC? That the rest of the country laughs at it now? That we see that place as an example of what not to do and who not to vote for?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Or you can just come up to here Canada enjoy some of our Kinder Eggs and ketchup flavoured Potato Chips then wash it down a Large Soda
I love Old Dutch ketchup flavoured potato chips... Everytime I go up to Vancouver or Victoria I always buy a couple bags and end up with bright red coloured fingers on the way back home... Though I never was as big a fan of the pickle-flavoured chips when I lived in Edmonton as a kid for some years...

Oh yeah, and Nanaimo bars... And President's Choice cookies.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:20 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
They should increase the cyanide in Bloombergs food

Old 06-07-2013, 06:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I love Old Dutch ketchup flavoured potato chips... Everytime I go up to Vancouver or Victoria I always buy a couple bags and end up with bright red coloured fingers on the way back home... Though I never was as big a fan of the pickle-flavoured chips when I lived in Edmonton as a kid for some years...

Oh yeah, and Nanaimo bars... And President's Choice cookies.
Well Old Dutch Sour Cream is my Favorite chip Flavour but they sure went small and cheap on the serving size though...

Be it Canada or the U.S. seems everything we buy is getting smaller and yet is some how more expensive to the consumer...

Either that or I am getting Old and Remember when things were cheap and you got twice as much as you do now for a Buck.. I am going with the latter

Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,326,902 times
hey speaking of Salt based product bans you guys still have places that serve take-out food with MSG or is it banned or limited in it's use on Food like it is up here?

Old 06-07-2013, 06:39 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Always the drama queen licking the boots in servitude to your gov't.
If you don't like their food, don't go to that eatery. If you require that much control, don't go out at all, and cook for yourself. It's up to you.
Well said! This is the kind of fluff stuff that drives me crazy. Next there will be state commissaries and cafeterias for the cattle to graze in. Stay hungry, my friends.🍔🍕🍜

Old 06-07-2013, 06:41 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
hey speaking of Salt based product bans you guys still have places that serve take-out food with MSG or is it banned or limited in it's use on Food like it is up here?
There are no national regulations and I didn't see anything about state bans on a quick Google search.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
We need salt and some of us iodine that is added. Therefore, if someone is getting the proper amount of sodium now, they will be getting only 75% (ish) at the end of this 5 year plan. That means the potential for salt deficiencies.

Nobody is getting the proper amount of sodium now. They're getting way, way miore than they need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies