Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 07:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it is a trollfest, I think that is what most of the OPs threads are. He preaches living in a welfare state, what's to know why he can't live in the same type of home rich people do, has said welfare including food stamps are great, certainly believes in spreading the wealth and now he wants to cut off welfare for single moms and stick the kids in orphanages or foster homes. Add to add all this, last time I knew, he didn't even live in America. what gives here?
I do believe you are correct in your first sentence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,466 posts, read 4,424,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73
For the life of me, I just have never gotten this outrage about welfare.
The outrage is we are sick of paying your way. If people want fair then everyone.. "everyone" has to work and pay their fair share instead of some getting a free ride.

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
When a woman or a couple with children applies for welfare, the most logical decision would be to remove the children from the home and place them with foster families until their mother/parents can provide 100% financial support. There would be no greater motivation for welfare recipients to improve their situation if it meant getting their children back.
There are not sufficient and adequate number of foster homes, right now.

Where are all these incremental foster homes going to come from?

Do you have foster kids living under your roof?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Welfare is obviously not a difficult way to live or we wouldn't see so many people wanting to be on it, the number of food stamp recipients, babies born to welfare households, and Medicaid recipients is growing way too fast.

It needs to be made into a more temporary safety net, not a lifestyle choice. Having babies one cannot afford should be discouraged not encouraged.

The handouts need to be cut, duplication needs to be eliminated. If children must be given free meals at schools, then the food stamps need to be cut accordingly. Welfare types don't need free cell phones, food stamps should be only for very basic food, no steaks, no store bought cakes.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 AM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
The 3 year rule comes into play here, ie: if kids are already 3 when parent loses job, then some assistance can still be given.

twins - one twin must be taken away or aborted
Never mind that, too complicated and will cost too much.

Soylent Green is people.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Nope not whining, i was agreeing with you. Ya its no picnic living with you ladies during that time ok, pros and cons for both sexes. But you got to admit there is nothing like bringing life into this world huh sister? No matter all the b.s thst goes with it?
I have absolutely no desire to breed.
The thought of it sickens me.
So yeah, there's nothing as disgusting and unnecessary as bringing life into this world for me.
Sorry if that's not what you expected to hear.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
The outrage is we are sick of paying your way. If people want fair then everyone.. "everyone" has to work and pay their fair share instead of some getting a free ride.
As has been pointed out numerous times, a significant percentage of people who receive benefits actually work(!)

Another significant percentage receive benefits for a short duration while they seek work, then go off assistance when they find work. There are very stringent income guidelines you must fall under to receive benefits and we do have ways of verifying income.

Another significant percentage are elderly or mentally/physically disabled.

And the "free ride" you speak of typically consists of SNAP or food stamp benefits which average about $1.24 per meal. Whoo! The High Life. Very, very few people actually receive government money. When they do, they have to spend months jumping through hoops to get it, they get very little (often just vouchers for partial rent assistance, etc.) they have to either be working or going through employment training and prove job seeking on a weekly basis, and this kind of assistance is very short-term: it is temporary. In fact, it is called TANF-- Temporary Aid to Needy Families.

Don't let facts get in the way of your spreading ignorance, though.

I have worked in social services for a quarter century, including determining eligibility for benefits in family support services. In my current job I still put people together with these kinds of benefits.

On the other hand, you have a baseless stereotype you fling around, disingenuously trying to stir up poop and foment resentment towards anyone who has ever needed a hand up.

You're ridiculous.

Last edited by Griffis; 06-15-2013 at 09:18 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
They love corporate benefits that cost the taxpayer many more times what it costs to take care of actual people.
Hypocrites, all of them.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are not sufficient and adequate number of foster homes, right now.

Where are all these incremental foster homes going to come from?

Do you have foster kids living under your roof?
Yes, foster homes are in short supply. Nearly all the foster parents I've worked with have been incredible, selfless people. It takes a special kind of person to be willing to open their homes to strange kids, some of whom have some pretty serious problems.

But there simply aren't enough places to put children who need a safe haven. Not enough foster families, not enough adoptive families.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They love corporate benefits that cost the taxpayer many more times what it costs to take care of actual people.
Hypocrites, all of them.
Yes, I remember seeing a stat that showed if Mitt Romney's tax breaks from just one of the years for which he provided his tax returns were translated into welfare assistance, his entire family would have received full food stamp benefits into the year 4812 or thereabouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies