Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,190,015 times

Advertisements

LOL@ this thread. I do agree, however, that many Hispanics are mestizos and share a common, significant European heritage with White Americans. Their appearances may be closer to each other than someone who is of African or Asian background, and people tend to be attracted to those who have similar appearances, even if not exclusively. Of course, there are other reasons as well. Not sure why it is assumed that the relationships are "interracial," but then "race" is socially constructed anyway. There is really one race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM

63,008 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
Because I am not crying hijack....I just think you should create your own thread on immigration and " whether you should be forced to speak spanish in America"

But you lack R-E-S-P-E-C-T. What would I expect from your comments lacking in any intelligence? Now I wouldn't come into yours or anyone else s thread and begin dropping topics to steer the convo away, from what the poster originally intended the thread to be about. But that's just me. Your free to speak on ANYTHING you want. Its America. I merely suggested you create your own threads to deal with those issues that interest you and not hijack my thread or anyone elses.

As for immigration, I believe in open borders. As for speaking Spanish in Miami , I am ALL FOR IT. Despite this:

IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE THREADS TITLE.
Have you got a reading comprehension problem? I didn't hijack your thread!! I even gave you the post# of the person who did so why do you keep attacking me for it?

Open borders and non-assimilation for Spanish speakers. Gee, why am I not surprised.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
I am also wondering why...that is. Why it is hidden and never discussed in the media. While black/white relationships are and Asian female/white male relationship are discussed to no end. Probably a couple 100 threads just on this forum about black/white and asian/white.......while the real largest IR is never mentioned.

Heres wha I believe blacks-white-asians are all in competition with women for 2nd place, while we continously without effort get the best of all races. Yes our beauty both in our males and females has much to do with it. Meanwhile this is probably the first thread on citydata discussing this? hwo could that be? hwo come no mention from us latinos about STEALING OUR PARTNERS? like white men do to blacks? like Asian men feel about whites? HOW COME?

I can tell you why........because we arent worried about it! we will run right into the most attractive of all races and swoop them right up! Which is why their is such fear of a brown nation. We are the blob pulling the best partners of all races with little to NO competition.
Hilarious! You're so far off base it isn't even funny.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,112,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; many white Hispanics of German, Spanish, Irish and Italian family DON'T like their kids mixing it up with Indian or Black people, even other Hispanic ones. Word is the "whiter" a person is in LatAm; the better but Chicanos don't like to talk about that here in the US.
it's true even I feel that way. I never have a black or mulatto girlfriend always white hispanic or light mestizo .

Last edited by miamihurricane555; 06-21-2013 at 09:56 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
What's to talk about? It isn't a secret and most of the illegals are the darker skinned people that S. Am. discriminates against.
Careful there now "adanescobar" will accuse you of hijacking his thread since you mentioned illegals. I got accused of it and I wasn't even the one who started it.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,475,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Race is about genetics not skin color so I don't know where you are coming from with this. A racially black person can be very light skinned. A racially white person can have darker skin. Learn to know the difference between race and skin color. They aren't necessarily a one size fits all.
Anthropologist tell us there is one race among humans today. One. Not two or more.

The different races are therefore regarded as a social construct.

So, there are Latin Americans that are white that would not be considered white here in the United States and black people in the U.S. that would not be considered black in Latin America.

The race descriptions in Latin America are typically descriptive about physical phenotypes and not about ancestry or recessive genes.

What you refer to as "Race is about genetics not skin color" I think you are looking for the word ancestry to replace "race." But maybe not as you sound like you subscribe to a concept of race mostly accepted during the early half of the 20th Century United States.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't know one Brazilian - or anyone in Latin America - who would say that Rev. Wright is white. Mulatto, yes. White, hell no.
I've been told by both Brazilians in Brazil and American expats living in Brazil (Bahia and Rio) that Rev. Wright would be considered white in Brazil.

Quote:
Lots of families in this hemisphere like that.
This has not been very common in the U.S. and is a newer phenomenon. Ergo, the prevailing views of "white" and "black" in the U.S.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It's pretty simple for me. If you're white, you're white. I have never denied the Europeaness or whiteness of some Latins. If you look like Vicente Fox or Nestor Kirchner, you're white. If you look like Hugo Chavez or Ollanta Humala or Evo Morales or Alberto Fujimori or Leonel Fernandez, you're not.
Hugo Chavez looked more Amerindian than many of the Amerindians in the United States who look like Vicente Fox or even Jerry Springer. Some even look like Wesley Snipes in the United States.

Hugo Chavez is regarded as mestizo though. But so is Vicente Fox. Both or them are morenos as well as Evo Morales and Alberto Fujimori. A Latin American can be white, mestizo, and moreno at the same time.

A Latin American can be mulatto and moreno at the same time.

Blond whites and very dark blacks are excluded from the "moreno" categorization.

Quote:
I just don't like to see Latinos deny their indigenous or African roots.
They tend to describe themselves per their phenotype. Since they've had a longer history of mixed families with all sorts of phenotypes they come up for more racial descriptions than simply "black" and "white." Kind of like the Inuit Indians have several different terms for the color "white" for snow with each meaning a different kind of white.

Dominicans that look like Halle Berry already know they have black African ancestry. They don't need to call themselves black to know that.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From what I understand Fox is only Spanish. He has no native indian blood. Therefore he is strictly white racially.
Okay, I've personally met Southern Spaniards darker than some mestizo Mexicans like Oscar Dela Hoya. Some Southern Spaniards surely have ancestry to the swarthy Moors of North Africa that ruled much of Spain for something like 400 years.

Northern Spain tends to be much more white.

Some Moors actually came over the the "New World" with the Spanish Conquistadors. There were a few combat female Spanish Conquistadors too.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:01 AM

59 posts, read 97,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
But again, a marriage between a Latino and a white, a Latino and a black, and a Latino and an Asian are not necessarily "interracial," but "cross cultural."

Sometimes they're interracial, sometimes they are not.
Thanks.
I'm a Puerto Rican (I talk about my origins in this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/u-s-t...ll-myself.html), and I got with an Anglo-Saxon. We grew up in similar backgrounds and all, have same values, and of course...a beautiful son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies