Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 06:29 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They do.
Question, how many Mexican immigrants do you rednecks actually know?
Uh; the LEGAL aliens from Mexico usually WANT to become "American" since they probably went through hell to come here. ILLEGAL aliens and their Anchors are bad news. Too; even if blond hair and blue eyed Swedes, if here ILLEGALLY, I'd still want them OUT!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Have you ever watched Spanish language TV? The shows there are not some weird stuff like from the middle east or Asia. They are the same things we watch: variety shows, soap operas, game shows, sports. So it is in Spanish. They are lucky to be the first immigrant group where they can actually see TV in their native language. People like that; they cling to their language and ways. It is no different. Arizona is a place where everyone came from somewhere else. People from Chicago are no different, Cubs bars, hats, tees; New York pizza joints. Heck, the real culture here is more Mexican than Midwestern, but Midwesterners dominate and their "sign" is everywhere.

Now, have you ever been to Pittsburgh? If so you will see multitudes of ethnic neighborhoods, signs in various languages and even alphabets. And old people, lots of old people. Because the young have learned English, gone to school, got jobs and moved away. But the old cling to their ways The same thing is going on in border states. Latter generation Mexicans don't speak Spanish well if at all. They live in our neighborhoods, send their kids to our schools, barbeque in the back yard, and are our friends, often very good friends. Our kids date them and marry them. They are part of our families. They are every bit as assimilated as your own family is.
The language of the US is English, NOT Spanish, Gaelic or anything else. 1 big way to make legal aliens become "American" is for them to NOT speak their old language to their kids; if it was Ok for Italians to be that way, Hispanics can do the SAME thing. Sheesh!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Buchanan has become the new hero to the slackjawed rednecks.
I'd rather be an American "Redneck" than a pal of ILLEGAL aliens.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The point you failed to assess on your tour of America...Is that those folk are already here. You may delay their assimilation fully into the American society, but the following generation will.

What you fear has already happened.
Amnesty has NOT passed and I DON'T think it will.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My father-in-law grew up here: Around Swedish America in 548 Days - Day 377 - Oakland . His mother, an immigrant from Sweden, before the days of quotas, mind you, never learned English even though she emigrated at age 17. (His father, DH's grandfather, was a Swedish immigrant as well.) When DH was a kid, there were restaurants in Oakland with the menus in Swedish. My FIL grew up speaking Swedish at home and didn't learn English until he went to school.

This was also a common story back where I grew up, in the Pittsburgh area. There are areas of Wisconsin where kids are still taught German at home. My mom was born in the US as were her parents and some of her grandparents, but she didn't speak English, either until she went to school. Even then, they spoke German at home.

In Rural Wisconsin, German Reigned For Decades : NPR
"In 1910," says Joseph Salmons, a linguist at the University of Wisconsin, "a quarter of the population told the census taker they spoke only German and didn't speak English — a quarter of the population." . . ."It turns out a lot of these people were born in Wisconsin," Salmons says. "And a fair number were born of parents born in Wisconsin. That is, these guys were not exactly killing themselves to learn English." . . . Salmons says some Anglos in town even learned German to be able to do business.

See above.

No, you saw millions from Europe, especially eastern Europe.

Swedish emigration to the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . Official American . English Only | PBS
Read the above. I'm not going to cut and paste.
Those people came here LEGALLY, like my "shanty Irish" family from Ireland. ILLEGAL aliens are no good and carry their criminal ways anywhere they're allowed to squat.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
And what is the difference between poor legal Mexicans and poor illegal Mexicans when it comes to assimilation?

Do you think illegal immigration is a recent phenomenon? Do you really think the Europeans that came over were all legal?
BIG difference there. People who come here LEGALLY are MUCH more likely to follow other US customs and laws. ILLEGAL aliens are lawbreakers off the bat and NEED to be deported along with their minor age Anchors.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
You've expressed disgust with legal Hispanics, so don't bs us.
"Legal Hispanics" or La Raza? There's a difference and La Raza is trash like their racist KKK and Black Panther brothers and sisters.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:46 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Mexicans we are referring to are mostly the illegal kind. Learn to know the difference. There is no comparison to those who arrived legally.

New people? Are you not aware that there are millions of Mexican-American citizens already living in this country? Change? I have no problem with lawful and natural change. My problem is with illegals and the types of people who don't want to assimilate to the main culture and society.
You equate those "types of people" as targets of the same level of displeasure from you, despite not being illegal aliens (identifying them separately from "illegals" as you did above means they are not). How many times have you expanded your comments in the illegal immigration section to say that you also don't want Hispanics coming in through legal methods? It's pretty clear to anyone that has ever read your comments of whom you mean by classifying specific "types of people".

Old 06-30-2013, 06:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
How could any clear thinking person think it would not?

Old 06-30-2013, 06:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The language of the US is English, NOT Spanish, Gaelic or anything else. 1 big way to make legal aliens become "American" is for them to NOT speak their old language to their kids; if it was Ok for Italians to be that way, Hispanics can do the SAME thing. Sheesh!
So what if you're Puerto Rican like me? I'm 100% born and bred American from the island and I speak Spanish on a regular basis. Am I less American than you? Or how about the people in Guam that speak Chamorro? Are they less American than you as well? Or how about the Virgin Islanders who speak English Creole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You equate those "types of people" as targets of the same level of displeasure from you, despite not being illegal aliens (identifying them separately from "illegals" as you did above means they are not). How many times have you expanded your comments in the illegal immigration section to say that you also don't want Hispanics coming in through legal methods? It's pretty clear to anyone that has ever read your comments of whom you mean by classifying specific "types of people".
Oldglory loves to tell a tissue of lies. He hates his "ethnic group" as he puts it and it's clearly established. We've been around long enough to know his game, he's not fooling us. He even expressed disgust towards me when I said I speak to my fellow Puerto Rican co-workers in Spanish, when all 5 of us are 100% American born and bred.

Heck, it's not just him. Read any of the illegal immigration regulars' posts and they all slip up every now and then and talk trash to Hispanics in general, not just illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies