Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 04:36 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Actually his post was exactly on topic so no idea why you are posting after him attacking him.

He was the first one of the two of you to go back on topic. Credit to him. I applaud him.

He thinks the gay rights are greed. Which ones do you think are greedy yourself? Or do you diagree with him? How is asking for the same kind of marriage for them as we have for us greedy? Is it not equality?
Who is us? YOu don't even live here. Worry about gay rights in your country son.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,377,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
you forgot this part of my comment when you decided to cherry pick mine.

" I don't think anyone should get federal benefits for signing a state contract. it's discrimination."
Then you are making two different points.

The fact is we do have marriage now. And we do get certain benefits for that. Tax bracket changes for example.

All "the gays" want is to have the same rights we do. How is that "greedy"? Your word not mine.

Now if you feel NO ONE should be getting those rights then that is a different discussion. And in fact in SOME cases you might find I agree 100% with you.

However your comment was that they were being greedy for seeking the rights they do. And my response is that it is not greedy to simply want the same rights as everyone else.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:42 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,754,520 times
Quote:
Then you are making two different points.

The fact is we do have marriage now. And we do get certain benefits for that. Tax bracket changes for example.

All "the gays" want is to have the same rights we do. How is that "greedy"? Your word not mine.

Now if you feel NO ONE should be getting those rights then that is a different discussion. And in fact in SOME cases you might find I agree 100% with you.

However your comment was that they were being greedy for seeking the rights they do. And my response is that it is not greedy to simply want the same rights as everyone else.
you keep referring to money as a right. it's confusing. in order to establish whether or not something is greed, you must first establish what the word greed means. although it is commonly used, it's rarely defined. left wingers refer to greed as keeping what is yours. I refer to greed as taking from someone else. in both instances, gay marriage would qualify for the definition.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
you keep referring to money as a right.
I never said that. What I am saying is that when us "straight" people get married the state affords us certain benefits. For example when married you shift tax bracket.

You also get certain other rights assigned to you by this marriage. Next of kin. Inheritence. Medical proxy. Guardianship shared over children or adopted children. The list is long. We take much of it for granted but we get it all.

Gay people are simply asking for the same thing.

So my question again is how is it "greedy" to simply want the _same thing_"?

"Greedy" for me would be if they were asking to get more than we do... benefits or extras we do not get.... but generally they are not are they?

So what is "greedy" here? I do not see it fitting either of your definitions.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
I never said that. What I am saying is that when us "straight" people get married the state affords us certain benefits. For example when married you shift tax bracket.

You also get certain other rights assigned to you by this marriage. Next of kin. Inheritence. Medical proxy. Guardianship shared over children or adopted children. The list is long. We take much of it for granted but we get it all.

Gay people are simply asking for the same thing.

So my question again is how is it "greedy" to simply want the _same thing_"?

"Greedy" for me would be if they were asking to get more than we do... benefits or extras we do not get.... but generally they are not are they?

So what is "greedy" here? I do not see it fitting either of your definitions.
the majority of the things you mentioned could be received VIA a civil union. marriage gets them the tax welfare checks.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 AM

Quote:
For example when married you shift tax bracket.
Yeah you pay MORE taxes. LOL. When many find out they won't be jumping to the courthouse to get on the camera that much is a guarantee. Unreal the lunacy I see posted around here.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
the majority of the things you mentioned could be received VIA a civil union. marriage gets them the tax welfare checks.
Again however you are asking them to do it differently. Why? Why should they not be able to have the same choices as us?

Yes you and I can choose civil union. We can also choose marriage. Why should they not be able to? Why the dismissive wave of the hand and simply say "Oh you can get some/most of those things if you do it this way, so stop trying to do it the other way.". Why should they?

I repeat the question I have asked a few times now: How is asking for the SAME stuff the rest of us have "Greedy"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yeah you pay MORE taxes.
That is far from a universal truth. Couples in many places pay less taxes.

However "taxes" is only one example. I am not focusing on it alone. There are MANY benefits that come from marriage. My question is simply why should gay people who want to make a life together be precluded them? And how is asking for the same as everyone else considered "Greedy"?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Again however you are asking them to do it differently. Why? Why should they not be able to have the same choices as us?

Yes you and I can choose civil union. We can also choose marriage. Why should they not be able to? Why the dismissive wave of the hand and simply say "Oh you can get some/most of those things if you do it this way, so stop trying to do it the other way.". Why should they?

I repeat the question I have asked a few times now: How is asking for the SAME stuff the rest of us have "Greedy"?

However "taxes" is only one example. I am not focusing on it alone. There are MANY benefits that come from marriage. My question is simply why should gay people who want to make a life together be precluded them? And how is asking for the same as everyone else considered "Greedy"?
you're talking in circles. I provided my definition of greed, and how gay marriage fit into the definition. stop asking the same questions. you can also choose to not agree with me, but I am stating the simple fact that gay marriage is a financial issue. nothing more, nothing less.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:

Yes lets pretend you don't pay more taxes when your income is coupled and you move up in the dreaded tax bracket. Oh wait you don't live in the US so you don't know about all that. Oops.

What "benifit"? Oh you can get healthcare. Well the great Obama has taken care of that. So what benifits are you talking about? You get to buy your mate a ring? You get to sign a contract with the state who then decides what to do with your assets if you do decide to end your marriage? Exactly what benefits are gay people getting?

Old 07-04-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
you're talking in circles. I provided my definition of greed
No, you asserted one. One that I do not agree with. Greed is the selfish desire for something. I do not see them being any more greedy than we are simply for wanting the same things we have.

The only way to apply your definition of "greed" correctly is to simply declare we are ALL greedy. And in that I would 100% agree with you. That is just the kind of species we are.

I simply see no way to specifically call one group greedy for wanting nothing more than the same as the other group has.

Quote:
stating the simple fact that gay marriage is a financial issue. nothing more, nothing less.
You can state it by all means. But it does not make it a fact. There is more to it than that. I listed some of the other implications of marriage for example. It is also an equality issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies