Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Nothing is 'fixed', tax-wise.

If it's passed by the legislature, it can be increased by the legislature.
The price of blue magic isn't fixed either...

But since this isn't a tax, how about we stay on topic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Oregon State University:

Completions per 100 students
A ratio which shows the total number of undergraduate-level completions (degrees and certificate programs of at least one year in length) per total 100 full-time equivalent undergraduates, based on total credit hours taken. It's the three-year average for 2008, 2009, and 2010, and includes all undergraduate students, not only the first-time, full-time ones. 21.4

Institution | College Completion

Old 07-07-2013, 04:08 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,549,057 times
It IS a tax. It's just not called that by leftists. Clinton learned that little trick and all Democrats after him have labeled their pet taxes as something else.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
The logistics of collection of this 3% for 24 years should be interesting. The State will have to keep track of everyone who attends their colleges for any amount of time, and then figure out a way to get the percentage of their paychecks rebated back to the State. Probably not all that difficult if the student stays in Oregon, but what about if they leave Oregon.

The Title is wrong ..... when you pay for something over a 24 year term ...... nothing "Free" about it.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Are you kidding me? I don't think we should e encouraging students to go into fields where they can't make a living... just saying....

I think this is such a wrong-headed philosophy. Education is its own reward. An educated population has historically been more peaceful, giving and productive in contrast to the uneducated.

Just because you can't make money being a {insert Liberal Arts major here} doesn't mean the education has little inherent value. The ability to reason, argue intelligently, parse out facts are all very important in a more evolved society. This whole idea of using money as a measure of value is archaic.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But you didn't complete college. We have the lowest rates of students completing college in the US since New College was established in the 1600's. Those dropping out of college study (as a percentage of attendees) has sharply risen since WWII. We produce an insane amount of bachelor's degree holders that don't follow up with the completion of study. Worse, many of the students go through mediocre programs.

I'm thoroughly confused. How is a BA not a completion of a four year degree?

Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
What happens to all those people that suffered, scrimped and took responsibility for their own education? Are they going to be getting paid back? Will their be a refund program? Dumb, stupid idea.

Are you proposing no progress be made because those who came before cannot benefit? Talk about stupid ideas.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Simple fact of the matter is: MOST ARE. I know people like to tell their kids they can amount to "anything." Yeah, ok. However, lets just wake up and see the real world. MOST people in the US aren't going to amount to much and/or be much.

The VAST majority of people (including me), aren't going to invent a better lightbulb, the newest mousetrap, or even get what most would say is a decent job. Most are going to get menial paying, menial working jobs. Its just a fact of life and people just need to learn with it.

There are only so many good paying, "respectable" jobs out there.

Then you have only yourself to blame.

I don't need to invent a better light bulb or mouse trap. If you measure your success by other people's rulers then you will never be happy.

Me? I set my goals according to what I found important in life and pursued them. I've achieved some and still have more to work on. I would rate myself as a very content person.

If you set the bar low - "MOST people aren't going to amount to much" - that is exactly where you'll be.

Be content in mediocrity? No thank you. No one has to, really.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
That's a pretty wild accusation, I'm sure you have solid proof that most college graduates end up being burger flippers and toilet scrubbers

I know someone who is "toilet scrubber". Well, she started out that way. Now she owns an extremely lucrative cleaning company and commands quite a salary. She never settled for mediocrity or accepted the idea that she was "just" a toilet scrubber.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Very few students start out with $100k loans.

You're right. That's why we have a shortage of doctors and other professionals. Many people don't want to take on that kind of debt. All the more reason to support a program like the one in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies