Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
How do I recognize these gangs ? I live in Chicago and I never see or hear anything. Am I walking around
in lala land or what?
That's a good question. Do you think it might depend on what neighborhood you live in? And I'm not asking that sarcastically.

I should add that there are many signs of gang activity, like street graffiti, high levels of gun homicide, and high levels of drug trade activity, not to mention usually a visible presence on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That's a good question. Do you think it might depend on what neighborhood you live in? And I'm not asking that sarcastically.

I should add that there are many signs of gang activity, like street graffiti, high levels of gun homicide, and high levels of drug trade activity, not to mention usually a visible presence on the streets.

Yes, I think it depends on where in Chicago you live. But at some point I should at least hear or see something. It is not like I never go anywhere. I just wonder how I recognize gang members.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think it depends on where in Chicago you live. But at some point I should at least hear or see something. It is not like I never go anywhere. I just wonder how I recognize gang members.

I forgot to mention, tattoos.

Here try this website, it has interactive maps. And if you go to the homepage there are many links, including lists of gangs, their colors, graffiti, sayings, hand signs, etc. It's not totally up-to-date.

ChicagoGangs.org Website

Old 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I forgot to mention, tattoos.

Here try this website, it has interactive maps.

ChicagoGangs.org Website

thanks!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Vice (HBO show) was there this year. It's basically a shoot-first warzone between gangs where bystanders get caught in the crossfire on a regular basis, and city politicians blame the lax gun laws throughout the state and region, but really there are no easy answers. The country has enjoyed basically unlimited gun sales & ownership for decades now with no end in sight, so areas like the south & west ghetto areas of Chicago and tragedies like Sandy Hook will become more and more part of our American way of life.
Ok: then how come the "PWT" in the "trailer parks" DON'T go around shooting each other up that often since many of those people are dirt poor as well as being meth heads?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Lawndale is a dangerous neighborhood, the problem is most of these murders happen in a select few neighborhoods, which has been stated over and over here. The reason why Chicago isn't more aggressive with this problem is because it only effects a few neighborhoods while the rest of the city is safe.

However, I do think Chicago should be much more aggressive towards crime and murder in those select neighborhoods to help improve the living conditions throughout the city.
they should ban guns...

oh....

Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM

This interactive map lets you type in your address and see if there are any known gangs in your area, but it is from 2011.

Interactive Chicago gang map: How big is Chicago's gang problem? | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago

According to this map, one part of Andersonville would be Latin Kings, one of the oldest and biggest gangs. But mostly you are north of most gang-related activity, depending where you live.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
thanks!
just posted another one. above.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 PM

17,416 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:

I think you're fairly safe in Edgewater.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:42 PM

Im only a few blocks from some Latin Kings people. Whatever they are.
There is a rap group from Sweden calling themselves Latin Kings. I wonder if the two know about each other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies