Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I was very early 20's so I didn't have the experience to get a good job. Because of that I worked hard and attended college. Those people getting welfare could have gotten a low paying job like me but nope they were too lazy.
Oh THAT'S why you think everyone is on welfare? And now you have a college degree and a better job...don't you feel superior now that you eat better?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
She gets a whole lot more than that. Single non-working mothers get WIC, free housing, utilities, TANF, free meals for kids at the public schools, and at the headstart center that gives free babysitting, and child support from the baby daddies.
No, she doesn't. Her child is now too old for many of those things, and even when she was younger, they had to fight for every last penny. Believe me, if there were a way to get all that she would!! I actually get a bit tired of hearing her woes (mostly on Facebook), but at least they've given me some insight into how difficult it is to COLLECT these benefits... sure, they are available, but if a single disabled mom can't get them who can?

As for child support, I don't think she gets that either. Of course that is something she can legally fight for, but again, it's easier said than done (and usually requires paying for a lawyer).

Old 07-16-2013, 05:30 PM

I checked into public assistance once for a young man I knew who didn't have much support family wise. It's incredibly hard to qualify for things much less everything people claim other people are getting for "free". Nobody would be happy living at the level it takes to get that kind of help. Now, fraud is a whole other issue and we can all be upset about that....but the people who actually meet the guidelines don't really deserve wrath and scorn. You would not want to be them.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I was very early 20's so I didn't have the experience to get a good job. Because of that I worked hard and attended college. Those people getting welfare could have gotten a low paying job like me but nope they were too lazy.
Oh, so you know EVERY single person on welfare and why they're on it? Riiiiiiight.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I checked into public assistance once for a young man I knew who didn't have much support family wise. It's incredibly hard to qualify for things much less everything people claim other people are getting for "free". Nobody would be happy living at the level it takes to get that kind of help. Now, fraud is a whole other issue and we can all be upset about that....but the people who actually meet the guidelines don't really deserve wrath and scorn. You would not want to be them.
Exactly. Just because something is "available," that doesn't mean everyone can actually get it! There are scholarships to Harvard available too, but I can't just apply and - BINGO - the money is mine.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Oh THAT'S why you think everyone is on welfare? And now you have a college degree and a better job...don't you feel superior now that you eat better?
They could have worked a menial job like me but chose not to so how is it my fault?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
They could have worked a menial job like me but chose not to so how is it my fault?
They could have? Everyone can? Really? You can't think of any reason why everyone isn't working a menial job like you did? College educated really?

Be mad at fraudsters. I don't see anyone tell something is your fault. I'm not sure what you're talking about. You were doing better for yourself supposedly, others will be stuck in the gutter forever. You can't possible be jealous of that.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
They could have? Everyone can? Really? You can't think of any reason why everyone isn't working a menial job like you did? College educated really?

Be mad at fraudsters.
McDonalds was hiring then and so was Burger King (I know because the manager there offered me a job off the street). They COULD have worked but chose not to. Many were neighbors and yes were too lazy to work.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
The title of this thread suggests all fast food places accept EBT.

Reality is some fast food places in a few states accept EBT from some patrons.

It's a franchise lobby /state issue. Follow the money.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
McDonalds was hiring then and so was Burger King (I know because the manager there offered me a job off the street). They COULD have worked but chose not to. Many were neighbors and yes were too lazy to work.
When was "then," exactly? You do realize things are different these days, and even college grads are having trouble finding low-paying jobs? I was recently taking to a colleague, who said their friend with a Master in Library Science (the same degree I have) has been working in retail for 3 years - and has applied for every library opening in that time with no success.

Besides, how do you know these people aren't already working, and just make little enough to qualify? Or maybe they're going to school, in hopes of getting off the assistance soon... then you have the disabled, elderly, new mothers, and otherwise unfit for regular work folks. I don't know the exact numbers, but pretty sure these types make up the majority of recipients. The percentage of those who are simply lazy is probably quite small, especially considering there IS a time limit on most of these benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies