Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:50 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I know, right? Yet the people who complain about this crap are usually the same ones who claim to want "small government," freedom to eat whatever you want, etc - the same people who also whined and complained about restrictions on sugared drinks & trans fat (which I happen to agree are ridiculous laws).

And don't give me the old "we're paying for them to eat," because just about everyone benefits from some government programs at some time in their lives... not to mention, you can qualify for FS & WIC if you're working, and thus paying into these programs yourselves. Personally I don't care if they spend these benefits on McDonalds or a salad from Trader Joe's, as once the money is distributed they should have the freedom to choose how to spend it. It's not like they get MORE if they waste it too quickly, so I assume the cost eventually shows them how to best use the funds. Why are conservatives so darned nosy?

P.S. They actually do have some healthier options in restaurants (even fast food) these days, often for a lower cost than you'll spend in a grocery store. I try to avoid fast food myself, but in desperate situations I'll get a $4-6 salad and diet coke. How much would those same ingredients cost me at TJs?
Total agreement.

I find it ironic that a lot of people who are this angry about paying taxes to support poor people via EBT and healthcare in the US have no problem with a budget that supports a massive military complex which does very little inside the US these days and pretty much props up Afghanistan and Iraq.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:51 PM

151 posts, read 405,060 times
Quote:
Touché...

Sorry, I'm just wasting time until I can leave work - so yes, I did over-think and over-explain that one a bit.

Working on saturday? You need to call your union rep!!!!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
An admission that many poor neighborhoods have no grocery stores. Where else you gonna go?
Good point. I used to live in the Hunter's Point neighborhood of San Francisco (the official "ghetto"), and our only nearby grocery store was a horrible FoodsCo. I had a car to travel elsewhere for my shopping, but many in that neighborhood do not.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 PM

As far as eating healthy - I can go and buy $50 worth of food that will last me all week and create healthy meals. (3 meals times 7 days=21 meals for $50) Granted I don't have kids nor am I married.

At fast food places - $50 will only buy you 7-8 meals. This is why I don't buy the old "Poor folks eat fast food because its cheap." Its actually not cheap at all.

breakdown:

grapes 2.99
Organic peanut butter: 4.99
English muffins - 3.99
Bottled water case -4.99
2 boxes of whole wheat waffles: 2.50 each
3 boxes of pierogies - 2.50 each
3 bags of frozen grilled chicken -3.99 each
Turkey burgers-3.50 each
2 bags of wholenfrain pretzels - 1.99 each
Carton of eggs - 2.50
Almonds: 4.99
Milk: 3.50
--------------------------

total: $57.50 plus tax

It's not rocket science

Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay1980 View Post
Working on saturday? You need to call your union rep!!!!
Haha... I'm a public librarian, so to NOT work on a weekend would be highly unusual.

We get weekdays off in exchange for Sat and/or Sunday, so I'm not too concerned about it. Actually better for me, since my 20-mile commute is a real you-know-what in weekday traffic. Anyway, I think it's about time to head out now!

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-13-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Haha... I'm a public librarian, so to NOT work on a weekend would be highly unusual.

We get weekdays off in exchange for Sat and/or Sunday, so I'm not too concerned about it. Actually better for me, since my 20-mile commute is a real you-know-what in weekday traffic. Anyway, I think it's about time to head out now!

Public school Teacher here.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,635 times
how is this any different from people cashing their welfare checks (or using the EBT to get cash out of an atm) and then taking the cash to pizza hut? are people mad because it's more convenient?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Taco bell is disgusting.
right. I cannot believe I lived off of that stuff in high school until I got a stomach ailment my senior year and couldn't any of that crap.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Why do people think because someone gets a government check they have to eat 'healthy".

I thought we were free in this Amerika?????
and when they recipients do get healthy, quality food, like steak and lobster, to cook, people get mad too.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I'm sure many of us have been in line when someone was using EBT (we call it a Link Card here)to buy things like soda, chips, cake etc and we get angry. The reason is because these are LUXURY foods that not everyone can afford yet those on assistance can. I remember many times being at the store when I was struggling and had to buy cheap items because I couldn't afford more, only to see someone on welfare eating better than me and I wondered why I was even working. These times I could not afford soda or chips or cake or candy on my budget so seeing people on assistance doing so infuriated me. Same thing with fast food, it is a luxury that not everyone can afford.

Let's not forget the reality these foods make people fat in over abundance and since we are paying for their medical too many will need obesity programs. Until recently Illinois paid for gastric bypass for those on welfare (because many of our people on assistance are fat).

Not one person I know who is opposed to welfare has a problem with helping those who are truly needy to buy food. What people get angry about is when they buy luxury items that aren't essential while many working people can't. I don't get mad when I see someone buying milk, bread, etc but definitely do when I see items like junk food and especially mad when this is all I see in their cart (and this has happened many times).
lol. luxury foods? are you still in high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.