Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 11:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Exactly. When I was in college I was working at McDonalds at the same time a friend was on welfare. I couldn't figure out why I was working so hard and she wasn't, yet she got more than me. Then a few years later I was working at a pizza joint and living in a poorer area and would buy bargain items with my small check while people on welfare were eating better. I actually asked a then boyfriend to try to get me pregnant because I too could get welfare but he refused (and eventually I realized I didn't want to be like them).
Yes, our so-called safety net programs have now become a lifestyle choice -- and a pretty luxurious choice. Imagine -- welfare recipients can now dine out in restaurants, and they can use their free cell phones however they please.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:55 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,899,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, our so-called safety net programs have now become a lifestyle choice -- and a pretty luxurious choice. Imagine -- welfare recipients can now dine out in restaurants, and they can use their free cell phones however they please.
And watch cable or surf the internet as they choose. Why work?

Old 07-14-2013, 03:24 PM

363 posts, read 515,197 times
Why do so many here assume people on food stamps don't work?

The few people I know on food stamps work full time (single mothers with kids)-- they're just low paying jobs like CNAs and the food stamps are a supplement.

A couple people I know live in section 8 housing, where the rent they pay is 1/3 their income from working full time. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to afford an apartment for their family. They can't not work, really, because they make far more working & TANF benefits couldn't even being to cover expenses needed for children. There's no combination of safety-net benefits that pays for all needs.

Today's children REQUIRE internet access, not only to get through school, but to simply be a member of modern society when they become adults. Those who claim internet is a "luxury" are probably baby boomers who are not raising little kids today.

Name one single job today's 5, 8 and 12 year olds will be eligible for in 10 or 12 years without computer knowledge? Denying internet (and other technology) to today's poor kids is the best way to keep them ignorant and arrest their chances in the future. Wonderful way to perpetuate the cycle of poverty.

These supplemental programs are the only way these families can get by & be brought up to a level where they can live semi-normally.

None of these people I know are on TANF.
There has been a lot of overhaul--TANF now has limits (like 2 years lifetime max). In most of the states TANF recipients are now are required to complete occupational training classes in order to collect the very small amount- like $400/month- and they were required to go into the office each month with bank statements and other personal stuff to prove their situation. Oh and drug screening too in some states.

These programs also supplement old people. I know old lady in her 80's with the free cell phone, and their phone only comes with 120 minutes of use per month. This person lives off her small social security retirement amount and nothing else. I know another different old lady with nothing but SS retirement as income who has her utilities subsidized. These old ladies are "retired" from 40+ years of working low paying jobs- one was a waitress and the other worked at a department store.

These types of programs have to be means tested, because each recipient is in a different situation. Yes, I'm sure there's a few people out there who don't work and collect all the benefits they can, or are lazy or whatever, but I haven't met one yet and I know a lot of poor people.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:58 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,943,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaleHerring View Post
Burger King and Pizza Hut (along with a few others) are of the first to begin accepting EBT/ Food Stamps. How do you feel about this?

In my opinion, this is preposterous. Prepared served food has a premium price for the service. One can get much more food at the grocery store for the price. Someone said to me recently, "so someone receiving assistance doesn't deserve to go out and eat?" No! You're paying more for less food and it's considerably more unhealthy! It's just that, assistance. I'm not one to have the "I pay for your food and living" mentality. I couldn't care less that a small portion of my check goes to people in need. This however, infuriates me. Thoughts?

Church's Chicken
Kentucky Fried Chicken
McDonald's
Subway
Grandma's Famous Chicken
Eight Mile Pancake House
Mr. T's BBQ
Vito's Pizza
Jack in the Box
Subway
El Pollo Loco
Papa Murphy's Pizza
KFC
Taco Bell
Pizza Hut
Papa Murphy's Pizza
Domino's Pizza
Golden Corral
Southern Cuisine
Rally's Hamburger
Perhaps you would like to give us a link for this? I can tell you for a fact that Colorado SNAP recipients can't cruise into Domino's and order a large with extra cheese. I get so tired of the false information posted on this forum which everyone jumps on as the gospel truth.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:07 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,385,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem with keeping our welfare crowd so well-fed and entertained is that they have lost all their work ethic and expect to have us keep them well-fed and very entertained the rest of their lives while they make no effort whatsoever. We are creating an extremely lazy class of people.

When you give the welfare moochers a higher standard of living than those who work for a living, you encourage more people to decide it's foolish to work.
The ones that are using welfare for phone sex lines and chicken tacos probably never had any work ethic to begin with. People like to pretend that 90% of people on welfare fall into that image but in reality its not true. Many middle class families who at one point were living what they thought was the good life are now depending on government assistance. I don't have a problem with it...they paid into; reap the benefits. I personally know a family where both she & the husband were employed at Linen & things; she in human resources and he in middle management. Her husband found another job fairly quickly but not making what he was making before and she's the crossing guard for my son's school. She told me that every full-time job she was offered would have put them over the state limit to qualify for Medicaid and reduced lunch for their kids and if she took the jobs her paycheck would basically be spent paying for before/after-school care and gas. It wasn't a great situation and she wasn't happy about being in it; especially when she knew there were people perceiving her as a "lazy, entitled, welfare moocher".

I'm not naive to think that every person on welfare is like her. I have people in my own family who seem to think the natural progression is get pregnant, get WIC, get food stamps, get 4C, go to school part-time online, get a big income tax refund, buy a car or go on vacation; then when the baby becomes a teen: rinse & repeat. They still ask me if they can borrow some of my food stamps despite the fact that I've told them many many many many many times I don't get food stamps. But I'm not in favor of punishing everyone just because some people are stupid.

I think the lazy, entitled moochers are typically the ones that are born into a generational welfare family. I know people where 2 and 3 generations all live in the same projects. The mother and her teen daughter pregnant at the same time; mama quickly takes daughter down to DCF and signs her up for her own benefits.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,842,291 times
It sure is ridiculous. Also, cakes, prepared foods and junk snacks/beverages can be purchased using EBT cards.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,541,572 times
Combine the various "money" benefits and just call it an allowance.
Give them the money every month and let them spend it however they want.
Legal or illegal they are doing it anyway.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,178,139 times
Who cares where they spend their LIMITED food dollars. Just don't let them come crying to me when they run out before the end of the month.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Cronyism at its best. Those of us who go to work everyday pay for this nonsense.
Eligibility for SNPA and EBT is determined at the state, not federal, level. Major franchise/brand owners ( YUM owns KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell) lobby their state legislators to allow SNAP/EBT benefit cards to be used in their restaurants. That some inner city neighborhoods are food deserts, means paying more at a convenience store/gas station and/or fast food place may be the only options.

SNAP benefits are determined at the state level and fall in the $1.50 per meal/per person range. Some states have allowed SNAP/EBT card beneficiaries to use their benefits at designated fast food restaurants for many, many years. This includes traditionally conservative states.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
4 states do allow food stamps to be used at FF places: Florida, Michigan, Arizona and California.
That includes McDonalds, PizzaHut and Taco Bell. They made a deal with Yum Foods.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...mps/50267864/1

Yum! Brands Drops Bid to Allow Food Stamp Use at Fast Food Restaurants | Snap To Health

This is not too different from the free phone thing that predates Obama by several decades. Follow the money and see which carriers are the true beneficiaries of that user tax on most phone bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.