Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Can you elaborate on how might I carry myself? I think I carry myself quite well, especially since my parents are Christian Baptists. I was raised first to trust the Lord, treat people justly, love mercy, and walk humbly as my God has commanded all of this children to walk.

With that said, I have also been asked by white people for directions. I won't ever forget this elderly white woman, in my predominately white community, asked me to help her put gas in her car when I drive up behind her car to get gas because her husband had recently died, and she never pumped gas in her car. As a Christian man, I helped her like I was supposed to, and I never questioned whether or not she was profiling me or afraid of me because I was a black man. I think she just wanted help regardless if I were black, white or whatever.

I am sure that many black men can say that they have had many encounters like yours and mine and we were just carrying ourselves. So I am trying to figure our what you meant by the way that I am carrying myself. But on the flip side, I have also had encounters were people did do a double take when I would walk in their store or when they weren't paying attention while walking into the parking lot, they see me walking toward them or getting out of my car and clutch their purses or look down hoping that I don't say anything to them.

I was just guessing and thought maybe you have a intimidating look about you.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,243,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What do the readers here define human trash as? How does it originate? Is it environmental ...is it genetic? Is it prolonged economic habitual dependence on the state? Or is it as simple as saying all men are not created equal and some are emotionally and mentally stunted. My mother used to have an explanation for these types of people "They are underdeveloped"

How do you develop the underdeveloped? Can it be done? Or is it hopeless...and I will quote a bit of scripture "The poor will always be with us" - what does that actually mean?
Picture the adults in the Honey Boo Boo family in your mind's eye, and then ask yourself those questions highlighted in red! LOL

Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,216,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I am angry at the fact that black males who are committing crimes have caused people to fear and be biased toward all black men.
No. It's not all black men. I can't think of anyone that would be afraid of encountering Bill Cosby, Obama, Denzel Washington or Will Smith types randomly on the streets.

If a young black man is smiling, well spoken and dressed as if out of the Huxtable family, then no one is at all afraid of him. But if that same young man is scowling, acting tough and dressed with his pants falling down... then yes, as a woman I might not want to share a sidewalk with him or his friends at night. A hoodie over the head and/or wearing dark glasses is not an appealing look to those who don't already know them.

^^ See, that is a very intimidating look imo. And BTW it would be a scary look if he were white or any other race.

Posing like a gangsta rap artist is just not attractive or appealing to most people who aren't into that music scene or lifestyle. And I think that blacks need to understand that.

And why can't young black youths be encouraged to learn how to speak English properly and without any ghetto slang? And they should also be encouraged to dress more neutrally and not like their favorite rap or r & b artist.

Otherwise, I understand why blacks turn to styling themselves in an intimidating way. They want to make themselves feel and look powerful to their peers. And maybe if they live in a poor or rough area, they need to look powerful and street smart in order to ward off would be bullies and thugs, but at the same time, that type of presentation causes the rest of society who don't live in the ghettos to fear them and feel uncomfortable around them.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,848,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. It's not all black men. I can't think of anyone that would be afraid of encountering Bill Cosby, Obama, Denzel Washington or Will Smith types randomly on the streets.

If a young black man is smiling, well spoken and dressed as if out of the Huxtable family, then no one is at all afraid of him. But if that same young man is scowling, acting tough and dressed with his pants falling down... then yes, as a woman I might not want to share a sidewalk with him or his friends at night. A hoodie over the head and/or wearing dark glasses is not an appealing look to those who don't already know them.

^^ See, that is a very intimidating look imo. And BTW it would be a scary look if he were white or any other race.

Posing like a gangsta rap artist is just not attractive or appealing to most people who aren't into that music scene or lifestyle. And I think that blacks need to understand that.

And why can't young black youths be encouraged to learn how to speak English properly and without any ghetto slang? And they should also be encouraged to dress more neutrally and not like their favorite rap or r & b artist.

Otherwise, I understand why blacks turn to styling themselves in an intimidating way. They want to make themselves feel and look powerful to their peers. And maybe if they live in a poor or rough area, they need to look powerful and street smart in order to ward off would be bullies and thugs, but at the same time, that type of presentation causes the rest of society who don't live in the ghettos to fear them and feel uncomfortable around them.
This seems obvious, but you will find disagreement from those who say it is their "right" to dress this way. True, but it causes you grief, and attracts the popo, so why do it?

Last edited by Futuremauian; 07-22-2013 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Oopsie

Old 07-22-2013, 06:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,822,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
This seems obvious, but you will find disagreement from those who say it is their "right" to dress this way. True, but it causes you grief, and attracts the popo, so why do it?
I think hardly anyone is arguing folks should go around looking like Lil Wayne... covered in tats, pants sagging, gold teeth everywhere, gangsta lean... and not expect to get some looks. However, in practice, young black males have issues even when they are wearing this:

which is the same as this:

Which is essentially what Trayvon Martin was wearing when he died. Jeans and a hoodie, no grill. Uniform of teenage males of all races everywhere. Heh.

Black men run into issues sometimes no matter what they are wearing. Even if they are dressed like Donald Glover, patron saint of arty black hipsters worldwide. LOL. It isn't really only about what you have on. The full out gangsta look doesn't help of course, but avoiding it doesn't cure everything.

I also think sometimes, just being tall and dark is enough. If you are over 6 feet tall you could wear a tutu and still catch it methinks. Sometimes the things that make you look scary are out of your control.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 PM

93,710 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
According to FBI, 2011, the number is 82.9%, so it's basically consistent.

Race and Sex of Victim by Race and Sex of Offender, 2011
Between 1976 and 2005, it was 86% for Whites according to the Bureau of Justice. So, this has been pretty consistent historically.

Also, people may have to consider lifestyle for interracial crime(i.e.- drugs), more so than thinking it is automatically racially motivated.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,341,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

So you are advocating that a blackman should not be himself because others like yourself are afraid of him? A tall dark skin brother about 6"3" and around 260 approaches you smilling you are going to sit there and say that you would not be more afraid of him as opposed to a light-skin brother who is 5'2 with a scowl and his pants sagging off of his butt? Really? I'm a dark brother and has a rather strong looking build, and there is no way in hell that I'm going to walk around "skinning and grinning" so that some scare ass white woman will feel comfortable. How about this, go out and talk to some actual black people regardless of what they look like and treat them like you would treat someone that that you are familiar with that might actually work.

Oh, btw if you really think that soft ass Kanye looks tough you really should stay in the house.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 PM

93,710 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Here is a great website: BlackDemographics.com | The African American Population

Enjoy.......You may find out some good things you didn't know about.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:26 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,837,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Picture the adults in the Honey Boo Boo family in your mind's eye, and then ask yourself those questions highlighted in red! LOL
Don't watch much TV so I am not really familiar with Honey Boo Boo. But I do see a parallel here. Black sitcoms have always portrayed the black family as prosperous and respectable...With popular music videos every black guy is rich and surrounded by treasure...but don't really seem to have a real legitimate source of income - but hint that criminality will bring luxury.

The picture of the white woman that you have posted are people who do exist..in the white world as well as the black...but they are rare in so far as what the norm is. So your portrayal of the under developed is accurate none the less...so what you are say is "The poor will always be with us" AND it does not have much to do with material wealth but with breeding.

So what are we to do...Once you start to rid of the world of "inferiors" you have to eventually work your way up the food chain till you are getting rid of average people - Then once that is done the elite war against each other to rid the world of the elite- So that approach is not viable or civilized. The false liberal doctrine of equality might be proving to be a mistake. Realistically society has to recognize that we have stupid people in the world and that is a fact of life - and they are not to be hated but cared for.

The idea of nobility at one time was when a person had superior traits in all respects- Their job and their duty was to take care of their lessors. We might just have a shortage of nobles these days.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:39 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,837,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I think hardly anyone is arguing folks should go around looking like Lil Wayne... covered in tats, pants sagging, gold teeth everywhere, gangsta lean... and not expect to get some looks. However, in practice, young black males have issues even when they are wearing this:

which is the same as this:

Which is essentially what Trayvon Martin was wearing when he died. Jeans and a hoodie, no grill. Uniform of teenage males of all races everywhere. Heh.

Black men run into issues sometimes no matter what they are wearing. Even if they are dressed like Donald Glover, patron saint of arty black hipsters worldwide. LOL. It isn't really only about what you have on. The full out gangsta look doesn't help of course, but avoiding it doesn't cure everything.

I also think sometimes, just being tall and dark is enough. If you are over 6 feet tall you could wear a tutu and still catch it methinks. Sometimes the things that make you look scary are out of your control.

A white guy with an intense serious intelligent look in his eyes is considered "scary" by some. Being a well bred alpha male or any race terrifies others..These things are out of control as far as attempting to achieve a non-intimidating look or persona. People only have one way to profile the "scary" guys...it's by dressing conservatively ..that is a signal that " hey - I'm cool and I am civilized - no need to worry...

A few weeks ago I a white guy ran into a very scary other white guy...I had gotten up in the middle of the night to get some ice cream ...as I was coming out of the store I ran into this guy...He was well over 6 feet tall ....well bred and appeared to be dressed in moderate biker clothing. This man looked like the type that would kill you at the drop of a hat...which I am sure he might....Thinking as a primitive I thought to myself - in a primitive world I would have to kill this guy before he killed me- I am an older man and he knew that I was also an alpha...I was the old wolf...He was the younger stronger one..the confident one.

What I am describing here is the clash of power oriented males...I am sure this happens all the time..but where the hoods are rougher and guns are available people die...Much like two bulls fighting for the supremacy of the herd...Imagine If I were black and this guy was black..and from a less civilized town...one of us would have to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies