Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
That is exactly what I said. Just that I would be less apprehensive if he was white. Statistically I'm correct, but anything is possible. If I'm "not street smart" I must be extremely lucky. I've traveled the world with a backpack (nearly 100 countries), staying in gritty neighborhoods without any incidents.
And yeah, I'm pretty sure I've been in more tough places than you have.
My point is you should be equally apprehensive. I've traveled the world also and wouldn't let any random man walk up to me without getting into defense mode. Eventually luck runs out and yours soon will with your mentality because what you are saying sounds like some white guy could come up to you skinning and grinning even though he might be a serial killer, your defense mode wouldn't be as high as would with a black guy who might be a successful investment banker..

More tough places??? Do you know me??? I didn't think so.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,451,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
You should be, especially when all of the big banks got bailed out at tax payers expense. But that's for another forum. My point is that for some racist reason, black men are targeted in a way that keeps us in a position where when we walk on public streets we have to look over our backs to see if someone is following us or watching us to see what we are up to. This bias has happened as a result of the media and newspapers reporting crimes that black men are (if true) disproportionately committing causing a person like George Zimmerman to profile Trayvon because of WHAT OTHER BLACK MALES HAD BEEN DOING IN THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD. I hope you get my point.
I get your point and i put the blame on the media that picks what stories they cover and which ones they dont and politicans of both parties that use division to gain votes. I realize that a group of black kids walking down the street will more likely fight with other blacks than with me % wise, but the stories coming out of chicago about gang attacks on the miracle mile will
Make me worry about those same black youth.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There is a Black woman in Florida who stood her ground, fired warning shots at an intruder. No one was hurt. However, she doesn't get to benefit from Stand Your Ground. She's going to be locked up for this.
Are you really this clueless or do you intentionally make this crap up to rabble-rouse?

Because unless you've had your head up your a$$ for the last month, everyone knows the lady left the scene, got a gun, and then came back and fired. That is not standing one's ground, and that certainly isn't "Stand Your Ground."

I'm more inclined to think you're intentionally rabble-rousing; I've read your posts and you don't come across as an idiot.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,834,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
My point is you should be equally apprehensive. I've traveled the world also and wouldn't let any random man walk up to me without getting into defense mode. Eventually luck runs out and yours soon will with your mentality because what you are saying sounds like some white guy could come up to you skinning and grinning even though he might be a serial killer, your defense mode wouldn't be as high as would with a black guy who might be a successful investment banker..

More tough places??? Do you know me??? I didn't think so.
LOL! Your "defense mode" is certainly high enough: Hostile; aggressive; confrontational; insulting. You're ready!
It's possible that the white guy could be a serial killer, and the black guy an investment banker, but both are statistically unlikely. Defense mode must include "likelihood" to be effective. Otherwise you simply fear everyone. That's no way to live.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:33 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Look into the facts of that case and you will realize it's a complete piece of BS used by those with an agenda trying to compare with the Zimmerman-Martin incident. This woman ran outside of a house, then came back inside and fired a "warning shot" with kids in the room that was hit a wall at head level.

Another example of people seeing what they want to to fit their agenda. It's the same kind of distortion of facts and attempts at emotional manipulation of stupid people. Similar to showing picture of a younger baby faced Trayvon Martin for days initially after the shooting, or people on the other side who keep assuming that Martin iniitiated the assault, when the only evidence of that is Zimmerman saying it was so. For all you know Zimmerman pulled out the gun and threatened to kill him...there's no way of knowing what went on in those moments.
Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News

According to this, she was defending herself against her abusive husband.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Are you really this clueless or do you intentionally make this crap up to rabble-rouse?

Because unless you've had your head up your a$$ for the last month, everyone knows the lady left the scene, got a gun, and then came back and fired. That is not standing one's ground, and that certainly isn't "Stand Your Ground."

I'm more inclined to think you're intentionally rabble-rousing; I've read your posts and you don't come across as an idiot.
I was not trying to make something up. I wasn't trying to rabble rouse. I am looking at this:Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News

According to this, it had alot to do with an abusive husband involved.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
LOL! Your "defense mode" is certainly high enough: Hostile; aggressive; confrontational; insulting. You're ready!
It's possible that the white guy could be a serial killer, and the black guy an investment banker, but both are statistically unlikely. Defense mode must include "likelihood" to be effective. Otherwise you simply fear everyone. That's no way to live.
My guard is up for anyone until they prove otherwise and also depending on the setting. It will be up if I'm walking down some dark alley (which I would never do) vs if I were just out shopping somewhere. But in general I treat everyone with the same amount of suspicion. I don't believe in using racist logic.
I take people at face value.

I've lived around black people all my life never been raped, robbed, or shot.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Your biggest fear from most white racists is economic, except maybe in some dark reaches of the American south. Violent attacks on minorities make big headlines, but their frequency are about equivalent to lighting strikes in terms of statistics. How many black people do you know who've actually been killed or beaten by whites?

On the reverse side, I know many, many people of all races who've been victimized by violent crime from black people. Friends in Brooklyn robbed at gunpoint in their apartments, robbed on the subway, jumped by gangs of black kids, women who've been manhandled by black kids, cell phones stolen after being sucker punched, etc. When something like the Martin incident happens, (and I'm someone who believes that Zimmerman should be in jail for Crim. Neg. Homicide), it gets blown out of proportion, but it doesn't change which way the overwhelming statistics of violence trend.

While I don't expect you to respect or like "types like that", you have much bigger things to fear in your life then being hunted down by racist white people.
I am worried about economics because I am the one who has to look for jobs. There are some people out there who feel justified in saying "I don't hire this ethnicity". I don't think it's justified, but there are those who feel differently.

BTW, I live in the South. I've been physically attacked by some White people down here, as well as some Black people.

When I was talking about fear, I was talking about in terms of those who might try to do things like job discrimination, or profiling.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots - CBS News

According to this, she was defending herself against her abusive husband.
She left the scene, got a gun, came back, and shot it at him. I don't know if I'd call leaving a house, getting a gun, and coming back and shooting it at someone "defending yourself".

Old 07-22-2013, 10:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
I am worried about economics because I am the one who has to look for jobs. There are some people out there who feel justified in saying "I don't hire this ethnicity". I don't think it's justified, but there are those who feel differently.

BTW, I live in the South. I've been physically attacked by some White people down here, as well as some Black people.

When I was talking about fear, I was talking about in terms of those who might try to do things like job discrimination, or profiling.

Are you MORE worried about economics than you or your family being beaten up, killed or robbed? If you are, you definitely have a different mindset than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies