Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Zimmerman did begin the initial confrontation by following someone, even after the police department asked him not to. He should be in jail, IMO.

Obviously, you didn't pay attention to the law in this case. There is no law against following someone. Even if you want there to be, there isn't. So in affect that means Zimmerman didn't break any law. There is a law against ASSAULT. That's what Martin did. He physically attacked Zimmerman. Plenty of evidence presented in the trial documenting the injuries. So in essence no crimes were committed by either party until Martin ASSAULTED Zimmerman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 01:55 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
By the way, even without SYG, GZ being the one to leave his house and follow TM would have no bearing on guilt. Of course this much should be obvious given that he didn't even try to use SYG as a defense.

Following is not illegal regardless of SYG, and at the point of the altercation, retreat was not an option.

Quote:
Zimmerman did begin the initial confrontation by following someone, even after the police department asked him not to. He should be in jail, IMO.
Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

Following someone is not illegal and has no bearing on guilt under the legal system.

You really don't want to open that can of worms. If you think GZ leaving is grounds to deny him the claim of self defense, you are essentially arguing that TM was justified in attacking. So what do we have now? The expansion of self defense into "reasonable fear of death, grave bodily injury, or some guy you think is following you."

Not going to happen.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:08 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
By the way, even without SYG, GZ being the one to leave his house and follow TM would have no bearing on guilt. Of course this much should be obvious given that he didn't even try to use SYG as a defense.

Following is not illegal regardless of SYG, and at the point of the altercation, retreat was not an option.

Well that's just like, your opinion, man.

Following someone is not illegal and has no bearing on guilt under the legal system.

You really don't want to open that can of worms. If you think GZ leaving is grounds to deny him the claim of self defense, you are essentially arguing that TM was justified in attacking. So what do we have now? The expansion of self defense into "reasonable fear of death, grave bodily injury, or some guy you think is following you."

Not going to happen.

It would be any fear is enough to justify use of force. That's called gangster mentality.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:21 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The initial confrontation only began when Trayvon's fist started to move.

You as a free citizen do not need to obey anybody's order to stop doing something totally legal such as following someone, even that order is from the President of the United States.
But president Obama isn't the law or a police official. The PD wanted zim to stop following to avoid the incidents which followed, a confrontation and a homicide. But with zim's mentality of possessing a firearm, and believing he was within his right using the SYG, pursued an individual walking through an apartment complex. He legally murdered a human being.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:22 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Quote:
Running away and then coming all the way back around the block to attack is not standing your ground.

And not in any court of law.
We don't know if that happened. That is just a guess. It makes no sense. Trayvon was on the phone, if he was circling back looking for Zimmerman, he would have told Rachel that. Instead, he told her the "cracker" came up behind him. He said "oh **, there he is again." or something to that effect. Those are not the words of someone laying in wait to attack. There's no logic to him laying in wait to attack Zimmerman. If he wanted to attack, why would he have run away?

It appears they encountered each other accidentally, or that Zimmerman followed behind Trayvon. In either scenario, if I'd been Trayvon I would have felt threatened, and being a woman I would have probably pepper-sprayed Zimmerman.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
What's pathetic is your inability to disconnect two obviously separate events.

There's nothing wrong with following someone. Following someone does not equal pursuit either, but nice try slipping that in.
How would you feel if someone was following your daughter or wife on a dark rainy night? Would you still feel the same way? I guess because Trayvon was a male or black those feelings should not have counted.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Totally wrong.
In which universe was Zimmerman acquitted of charges under SYG?

Quote:
ALEC and the NRA are culpable for the wording and SYG laws, see the video I uploaded in a previous post for the explanation.
Irrelevant too, who writes the act is not even a whole part of the whole process. It has to be raised in States Congress, read, voted on passed to the other house re-read, voted on and passed again, incorporating any amendments. Who wrote it isn't really relevant to that proceeding, because States Representatives and Senators should read it understand it and then vote for it, they're the ones who own the culpability if you believe there is any.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:51 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
We don't know if that happened. That is just a guess. It makes no sense. Trayvon was on the phone, if he was circling back looking for Zimmerman, he would have told Rachel that. Instead, he told her the "cracker" came up behind him. He said "oh **, there he is again." or something to that effect. Those are not the words of someone laying in wait to attack. There's no logic to him laying in wait to attack Zimmerman. If he wanted to attack, why would he have run away?

It appears they encountered each other accidentally, or that Zimmerman followed behind Trayvon. In either scenario, if I'd been Trayvon I would have felt threatened, and being a woman I would have probably pepper-sprayed Zimmerman.
Actually you have it completely wrong.

If you listened to the people on the jury, they figured out how you can put that scenario to sleep.

They compared the time stamps on all the phone conversations, what his girlfriend said, what Zimmerman was saying, and what time the calls terminated.

When you cross reference those known facts, there is no way Zimmerman was not exactly where he said he was and no doubt TM couldn't have backtracked towards GZ. Otherwise, TM & GZ would have me-up further down past the T and would have had to amicable walked together to the T to begin any altercation.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
In which universe was Zimmerman acquitted of charges under SYG?

Irrelevant too, who writes the act is not even a whole part of the whole process. It has to be raised in States Congress, read, voted on passed to the other house re-read, voted on and passed again, incorporating any amendments. Who wrote it isn't really relevant to that proceeding, because States Representatives and Senators should read it understand it and then vote for it, they're the ones who own the culpability if you believe there is any.
Yes, it is relevant, because the SYG laws were written and adopted by the NRA and ALEC and states which have SYG laws, huge lobbyist groups.

Zim's defense was not based upon SYG, but on self defense, but the zim used that SYG theory when he pursued Martin. Otherwise, he would not have gone after Martin.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:07 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
Quote:
It's irrelevant. We're discussing law, and you're trying to obfuscate by bringing in hypotheticals about who could possibly be lying.

All that's relevant as far as this particular case is concerned is law and what can be proven.

I don't know why either of them did what they did or what the hell happened out there. But um, your witness is about as biased as a person can be and I wouldn't put much stock into what she has to say. That story is completely unsupported by the facts.

Quote:
You would have circled the block, came back, and pepper sprayed him?

That's retarded.

If he approached you threateningly you could shoot him dead. But nobody even claims that we could prove that's what happened.

Quote:
Yes, it is relevant, because the SYG laws were written and adopted by the NRA and ALEC and states which have SYG laws, huge lobbyist groups.

Zim's defense was not based upon SYG, but on self defense, but the zim used that SYG theory when he pursued Martin. Otherwise, he would not have gone after Martin.
And what makes you think he was pursuing with the thought of SYG in mind?

That's right, nothing.

Because if he had this master plan to kill the kid and lie, it wouldn't have mattered whether he invoked SYG or not. I would think that would be obvious, given that he felt no need to evoke it when the trial came around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
How would you feel if someone was following your daughter or wife on a dark rainy night? Would you still feel the same way?
Uh, I'd say keep your cool, and if he approaches you threateningly and makes you reasonably fear for your life, blow him away.

What I wouldn't say is run away and then come back and try to beat his ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess because Trayvon was a male or black those feelings should not have counted.
GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It would be any fear is enough to justify use of force. That's called gangster mentality.
It would be SYG on crack. Apparently SYG is horrible. But that on the other hand is perfectly fine.

Better yet, let's just decide the law on a case by case basis. Hell, why even have laws and trials and all that crap? George Zimmerman killed a black teen with skittles, we should have just had a referendum, lynched him and left it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies