Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I'm sure twice a week was being "kind" or "evasive" by Jeantel.

It's still irrelevant.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:31 PM

108 posts, read 285,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Experimenting would be trying it a couple of times.

TM was getting high twice a week. That's a problem. (And I'm sure the amount was rounded down to something thought to be "acceptable".)
You're "sure"? You're sure how?

Martin's past is irrelevant. I don't care who Martin was. He could have smoked 8 joints a day. He had every right to walk home safely that night.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:55 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Except in the predictable fashion of MSM - they NEVER bring up assault and self-defense. It is as though TM was skipping through the tulips, and not that he was beating the crap out of GZ.

The only people who could actually make such a dumb assessment are those commenting who have not read the transcripts and didn't listen to all the testimony at the trial.

Yes, the fact that Trayvon committed a violent act, punched him, then straddled, and pushed GZ head into the concrete is always left out of these reports. The evidence points to the fact that Martin's violent actions caused Zimmerman to fear for his life, and acted in self defense. The decision had to be made on the actual evidence, not the emotional response to a young man being killed.

It is a tragedy, I feel deep sympathy for the family, there is nothing to celebrate here, but the evidence does not sustain this idea that TM was an innocent victim shot simply for being black by a raging racist, as the media keep portraying this case. Zimmerman made poor decisions that night, and that is a factor in Martin's death, but ultimately, Martin's violent actions are what lead to his death.

It's very frustrating for someone who in most instances would be considered liberal, certainly socially liberal, to have this turn into the usual lib vs con issue. While I am socially liberal, I also care greatly about the law and court cases being decided based on evidence not unsustained theories, or emotional reactions. The idea of sending a man to jail for murder to make a point is horrific to me, I appalled that people are trying to demand such action.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveNative View Post
You're "sure"? You're sure how?

Martin's past is irrelevant. I don't care who Martin was. He could have smoked 8 joints a day. He had every right to walk home safely that night.
Until he violently attacked a man, that's where Martin made a fatal mistake, people keep ignoring this fact. Zimmerman made poor decisions and carries some blame for that, but the evidence supports self defense because Martin chose to react with a violent attack on Zimmerman.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Until he violently attacked a man, that's where Martin made a fatal mistake, people keep ignoring this fact. Zimmerman made poor decisions and carries some blame for that, but the evidence supports self defense.
Just his best attempt to neutralize an armed creep.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:09 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It's still irrelevant.
It is funny how you posted so much about GZ's past while calling it relevant. If one is relevant, so is the other.

And this is relevant if people are going to talk about Trayvon's "Legacy". TM's text and FB posting are evidence that this is a fact and it is truth.

AFTERBURNER w/ BILL WHITTLE: The Lynching - YouTube

Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Until he violently attacked a man, that's where Martin made a fatal mistake, people keep ignoring this fact. Zimmerman made poor decisions and carries some blame for that, but the evidence supports self defense because Martin chose to react with a violent attack on Zimmerman.
Actually, I don't call it a poor decision on GZ's part. On the 911 call he tells the Dispatch that the guy is putting his hand in his waistband.

That is perceived as a taunting threat to GZ coming from TM, and it certainly continues to make him appear to be suspicious and up to no good. That was TM's poor choice of "pretending" he was armed. But you don't hear the media talk about that either.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Just his best attempt to neutralize an armed creep.
A murder conviction must be based on facts in evidence.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 PM

108 posts, read 285,933 times
Quote:

Wow, I didn't realize you saw the entire fight and therefore could draw declarative conclusions...

All the verdict says is there's enough reasonable doubt to find Zimmerman not liable. That's all. Feel free to read whatever bias you have into it however.

I think neither's past is relevant to the case. As has been demonstrated by the trial itself.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM

17,424 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
But it still has nothing to do with the shooting. He wasn't high at the time. So it's irrelevant.

The twice a week came from Rachel Jeantel, and she doesn't mince words. I don't think she rounded it down. She could have said he hardly smoked at all, and no one would ever have known.

You said he was "experimenting w/ drugs".

If you don't want to be corrected, I suggest you get it right the first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies