Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM

331 posts, read 254,036 times

Advertisements

Excellent response to Don Lemon's finger wagging remarks.

Don Lemon And The Failure Of Respectability Politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Now you are slightly trying to change the point.....You said that "the right takes every opportunity to attack the left"........THAT'S WHAT YOU SAID.

Now you're flippin' it to "Can you show me a similar situation?" of your example above.

......Dude....the reason you flipped is because you know your comment was wrong. So now you want me to find this one kind of attack. ....SMH..... Look, I'm sure there's a similar scenario out there somewhere. There's too much political chatter on BOTH sides for there not to be one.

My point is that an attack is an attack.....And the left attacks the right EVERYDAY! And in my opinion....they hold back nothing!
What are you talking about ? I didnt change my point, You hadnt even responded to me, so how can i be changing my point when you had not even written a response yet ?

face it, you could not find a case to fit my response so you cherry picked a sentence out of my comment to respond to. #FAIL.

exactly, YOUR POINT, if you want to respond to your own post, that is fine, but you failed in responds to mine.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
How many black friends do you have? I'm curious because you're speaking about "The general black community" but I seriously doubt you're involved or informed about the subject you feel so strongly about... Yes they're problems but can someone who is an outsider without firsthand knowledge diagnose what's wrong? It's hard at best and impossible at worst alphamale!
Funny how this logic isn't applied when liberals diagnosing the problems of conservatives. Bill isn't qualified to comment on the black community but you are fine commenting on the deception and white supremacy of his audience. Pot and kettle.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
A gay man comments on family issues? Maybe not the best choice.
Remember gays are now family oriented. Get with the progressive program!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Everyone knows the problems with illegitimate children (don't like the term, but what other way to say it?). The issue is how on earth is the black community supposed to stop it? The ones that are having babies out of wedlock don't care, and the ones that do care can't do anything about it. This is a growing problem across all races. I know many young white women who have babies without marrying the fathers, with the same results - lack of education and poverty.

It's a problem without an answer. I think criminal behavior can be stopped or curtailed if the community gets together to fight it. I remember years ago, when crime was really bad in the late '80s and early '90s (much worse than now), a group of people in a poor neighborhood got together and formed a neighborhood watch. No guns, just video cameras. At great personal risk to themselves, they videotaped drug dealers and prostitutes in commission of their crimes, and got many of them off the streets. They worked with the police instead of staying silent. This was very risky behavior, but it worked. I wonder how that community is doing now?

The reason they don't marry the father(regardless of race) is because they get more handouts as a single mom, and the more kids you have the more you get.

That is why they don't marry in many cases.

Let's not act like this is only happening due to a lack of education and poverty. Many of them are very savvy people working the system.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottie13 View Post
He's not qualified because he made several comments about blacks which he was surprised they acted civilized. He's not qualified because people with sense can tell he's a racist and if he's not a racist he holds negative views in general of blacks.

It's hard to come back from being labeled, bill is labeled. It's a two way street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nothing racist about being trutful, which too many in the black community shrug and push under the rug. They did not all act civilized, Sharpton as his usual self, acting like a fool that he is.

To speak the truth with someone who has brains in their head, does not mean speaking negative about what is true, is racist. Why don't more blacks who preach about this or that, that does not make any sense, make themselves useful, and talk about these issues plaguing the black communities.

When your brain teaches you to buy into the crap that you been taught, hearing the truth, so often hurts. It is hard to come back from being a sheep?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:42 PM

331 posts, read 254,036 times
Just to reiterate some salient points in this article,

"Respectability politics are an amazingly sturdy response to allegations of any -ism or phobia: According to would-be truthtellers like Lemon and his apparent inspiration, Bill O’Reilly, there is always a set of “real issues” that “nobody is discussing,” and if the community just deals with these issues, they’ll be surprised to find the -isms and phobias melting away in the harsh light of self-reflection and betterment."

"But in order to become “respectable,” the targeted group is always encouraged to change. And the changes always, always require the targeted group to become more like the dominant group. If black people act more like white people, or women act more like men, or gays and lesbians act more like straight people, they’ll all see the same outcomes. But the underlying goal of this is to stop being “different.” Act “normally,” and you’ll be treated normally, but if you step outside those boundaries, it is your fault and your fault only."

Let’s take black male high school graduation rates. They differ drastically across the country. (Dropout rates for black students have dropped 40% since 1990, compared with 44% for white students.) A higher proportion of black males in Minnesota graduate high school than white males in Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, South Carolina, and New Mexico, yet the graduation gap between black and white males in Minnesota is double the gap in any of those other states. One could argue that black people in St. Paul are doing a better job of Lemonizing their young black men than black people are in Biloxi. One could also argue that the latter five states have terrible educational systems that are failing white and black males (and black males more than white males), and that there are systemic issues preventing a significant number of black males from graduating in most states.

Respectability politics alienate their target from the rest of society. They make their targets uniquely bad and irresponsible in a way that other groups aren’t. White dropout rates aren’t the problem of the white community. White men aren’t lectured as a group about the 627,541 out-of-wedlock births to white mothers in 2010. The only response respectability politics has is to treat the black dropout or the black out-of-wedlock birth as a black failure rather than a societal one. Not only are black people somehow uniquely and voluntarily flawed, all of them are responsible for the failures.

Don Lemon And The Failure Of Respectability Politics

Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Pretty tame stuff but it ignited some pretty ugly comments from the Left in response including from our delusional friends on MSNBC.

CNN's Don Lemon: Bill O'Reilly's Criticism Of Black Community "Doesn't Go Far Enough" | RealClearPolitics

And your hatered continues

Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Are you really saying that Bill O'Reilly is a white supremacist?
No he is not that smart, he is just an pompus p*ssy

Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Some of you are making this argument so complicated, it is really easy.

Don Lemon and Bill O'reilly addressed the symptom rather than the problems themselves.

Its like telling someone to cover their nose while sneezing while not addressing the the cause of the sneezing(allergies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies