Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times

Advertisements

Anyway, I agree generally. I would like their definition of "black culture" though. Hip hop/rap culture is American culture. In fact, white youth are just as, if not, more into hip hop than black and other groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"The truth shall set you free!"

The general black community hasn't realized this yet.

Just keep ignoring their problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
How many black friends do you have? I'm curious because you're speaking about "The general black community" but I seriously doubt you're involved or informed about the subject you feel so strongly about... Yes they're problems but can someone who is an outsider without firsthand knowledge diagnose what's wrong? It's hard at best and impossible at worst alphamale!

Michael Nutter - Mayor of Philadelphia Church Speech Sunday August 7, 2011 - YouTube

Actually, I recommend watching this. The mayor of Philadelphia's speech. The problem is not "the truth". The mayor was telling the truth and Black people here are applauding him. The thing is that Michael Nutter is not working for any political pundit or FOX. He is saying this on his behalf, and he truly wants things to get better for Black people. I don't feel that Bill O'Reilly wants this for Blacks. I think some people are just angry at Blacks. FOX NEWS of all people.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
LOL..solving the "black problem" is have them pull up their pants...

Do anyone else ever wonder how talking heads have become America's social scientists?

Where did Bill oriely or This guy Lemon get their degrees in the Social Sciences? What happend to the day when reportes invited guests on thier show with a education in the field they were commenting on?

It's funny that people bad mouth academia, yet take their cues on societal questions form a talk show host???

Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Michael Nutter - Mayor of Philadelphia Church Speech Sunday August 7, 2011 - YouTube

Actually, I recommend watching this. The mayor of Philadelphia's speech. The problem is not "the truth". The mayor was telling the truth and Black people here are applauding him. The thing is that Michael Nutter is not working for any political pundit or FOX. He is saying this on his behalf, and he truly wants things to get better for Black people. I don't feel that Bill O'Reilly wants this for Blacks. I think some people are just angry at Blacks. FOX NEWS of all people.
That is a great post.

When you have someone like Nutter who has worked with in the Black community and know the Black community, it is a different story.

I can't speak for Don Lemon, but the others don't know anything about the Black community and have a serious anti-Black audience. If Hannity and O'Riley had a relationship with the Black community, and was out there doing some of the same work as Mayor Nutter and Al Sharpton, his statements would have more credibility. But there again, he probably wouldn't work for Fox nor would he have the same following.

I don't recall Lemon being any one but a news person on a despicable network called CNN. I've never known him to be out there working with dysfunctional families or helping anyone. He said what he said to get ratings.

The race talking news people are a distraction from the real issue. We all need to be in the trenches working with our leaders to make sure our judicial system is fair and is consistent. We can't give our energy to these news people.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
"Get back on that plantation, slave!"

Melissa Harris-Perry, slavemaster and whitey bootlicker.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Urban African American youth exposed to community violence: A school-based anxiety preventive intervention efficacy study

Quote:
...For example, studies have found a positive association between community violence exposure and anxiety (Cooley-Quille, Boyd, Frantz, & Walsch, 2001; Ward, Martin, Theron & Distiller, 2007) and that anxiety interferes with children’s ability to concentrate, thus potentially disrupting their academic performance (Birmaher, Bridge, Williamson, Brent, Dahl, et al., 2004). It has been recommended that developmentally appropriate interventions for children exposed to community violence are implemented early and are evaluated for their effectiveness (Berkowitz, 2003). This paper reports on the effects of a secondary preventive intervention program to investigate its impact on community violence, anxiety, and related functioning (academic achievement, life stressors) among urban ethnic minority school children.
Community violence affects all racial and ethnic groups, but African Americans living in low-income urban neighborhoods experience higher rates of community violence and crime than urban European Americans (Crouch, Hanson, Saunders, Kilpatrick, & Resnick, 2000).

Exposure to violence among African American youth does not decrease with higher socio-economic status, as it does for European Americans (Crouch et al., 2000). Constant worry about one’s own or loved ones’ safety or health likely interferes with low income, urban children’s ability to function in developmentally appropriate, academically successful, and healthy ways (Cooley-Quille, Boyd, & Grados, 2004) and may be a source of anxiety and oppositional-aggressive behavior as an attempt to exert control in chaotic environments (Ford, 2002). Low income, urban youth have elevated anxiety disorder symptoms (Rathus, Wetzler, & Asnis, 1995).

Those living in perpetually violent communities may be in a constant state of defense, potentially at risk for developing anxiety symptoms as a result of a neurological structure that is ready to deal with external threats at any time (Edlynn, Gaylord-Harden, Richards & Miller, 2008). This is consistent with the concept of Allostatic load identified by McEwen (2000) as referring to the physiological costs of chronic exposure to the neural stress response.
If you want to really have a discussion of violence in the African-American community...let the Talking heads have their say. If you believe a 10 minute segment on race, what have your really learned.

Start reading what counts. Acedemic papers on the subject. BUt that takes a real committment. Unlike like the talking heads approach, expediency is more important than accuracy.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
That is a great post.

When you have someone like Nutter who has worked with in the Black community and know the Black community, it is a different story.

I can't speak for Don Lemon, but the others don't know anything about the Black community and have a serious anti-Black audience. If Hannity and O'Riley had a relationship with the Black community, and was out there doing some of the same work as Mayor Nutter and Al Sharpton, his statements would have more credibility. But there again, he probably wouldn't work for Fox nor would he have the same following.

I don't recall Lemon being any one but a news person on a despicable network called CNN. I've never known him to be out there working with dysfunctional families or helping anyone. He said what he said to get ratings.

The race talking news people are a distraction from the real issue. We all need to be in the trenches working with our leaders to make sure our judicial system is fair and is consistent. We can't give our energy to these news people.
That is the thing I have been trying to say. Bill O'Reilly just comes off as being angry and arrogant towards Blacks, and I don't think he has any kind of connection to the Black population. Michael Nutter, and in addition, Bill Cosby, they have connections with the Black community, they have lived in it, they aren't working with any kind of political pundits. They are working on behalf of improvement within the Black population. They aren't uttering things from FOX News.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Urban African American youth exposed to community violence: A school-based anxiety preventive intervention efficacy study

If you want to really have a discussion of violence in the African-American community...let the Talking heads have their say. If you believe a 10 minute segment on race, what have your really learned.

Start reading what counts. Acedemic papers on the subject. BUt that takes a real committment. Unlike like the talking heads approach, expediency is more important than accuracy.
That's what they said....just with not all the big words...

Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
The thing is, racism isn't my fault. I can wear my preppy outfit, with my valley girl voice and there are still plenty of people who are going to look at me and make assumptions about my intelligence, job-status, child-status, marriage-status and everything else. I will be profiled no matter what I do.

This isn't going to solve anything at all.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,209,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm curious to know what black people YOU personally know that don't understand what's being talked about... We in the black community know what the problems are and we're slowly but surely climbing out despite opposition by white conservative know it alls...

please stop blaming white people
good grief I am going to scream if I hear one more sad sack black blame white people for their personal life choices!!
I crawled out of addiction and domestic violence
I do not blame liquor stores for my alcoholism nor do I blame men for what a few ass holes did
both of these situations I had to take personal responsibility for
no one held me down and poured booze in my mouth and as far as the violent men
who picked them out? I did
when I quit blaming them and faced the fact that something was wrong with me to stay with someone violent
I quit being a victim
a victim loves to **** and moan about how bad they have it
so folks will feel sorry for them
hell I sure did
I loved telling my sad stories
and they WERE sad!! But I played a roll
today I am sober for many years
I won 2 businesses and I work my butt off
I am relationship free by choice and I do not take shi^ from anyone but I also do not walk around with a chip on me
I am grateful and I try to help others who want to get sober or women who are in destructive relationships
my past is my greatest asset
not a nightmare
I loathe self pity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies