Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 06:16 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times

Advertisements

When one chose a position of biblical responsibility and authority, the way he feels about something must always be filtered through the scriptures. The responsibility is to preach, teach, and exemplify righteousness according to the scriptures. The pope takes an oath to do so.

Since I am heterosexual, I have no personal information as to whether or not being homosexual is intrinsic. I do have what the scriptures say about various types of sexuality and I have taken an oath to preach, teach, and exemplify them in righteousness according to the scriptures whether I agree with them intrinsically or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 AM

18 posts, read 26,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Your heterosexuality is part of who you are, how your brain is wired- how you think and feel and love, how you see other people and yourself. It wouldn't matter whether you ever had sex or not, your heterosexuality is intrinsic. It's no different for homosexuals.

So what you say makes no sense to me.

Let me try it this way: when one choses a position of biblical responsibility and authority, the way he feels about something must always be filtered through the scriptures. The responsibility is to preach, teach, and exemplify righteousness according to the scriptures. The pope takes an oath to do so.

Since I am heterosexual, I have no personal information as to whether or not being homosexual is instrinsic. I do have what the scriptures say about various types of sexuality and I have taken an oath to preach, teach, and exemplify them in righteousness according to the scriptures whether I agree with them intrinsically or not.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 AM

18 posts, read 26,537 times
The bible is clear about lying being wrong, cheating being wrong, stealing being wrong, murder being wrong, AND yes, homosexuality being wrong. It's ALL sin. So when we as Christians agree with scripture and say gays are wrong / sin, what's the big deal?

BTW even though sins carry the same eternal punishment for non-Christians (hell) I don't think the bible teaches that each sin is exactly the same for believers. Or at least the earthly consequences for each sin is not the same. Some sins will give you a slap on the wrist, while others will send you to prison for life, or give you an STD & kill you in 1 year, etc... Big differences.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
I think it's a breath of fresh air coming from the Vatican (for once).

Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I think it's a breath of fresh air coming from the Vatican (for once).
I agree. Considering the Catholic organization is a train wreck. Usually they preach no gays but had men touching defensive little boys.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,094 times
Quote:
No, of course not, but it's a start.
The Pope is more progressive than the tea party.

Man, that is crazy

Old 08-05-2013, 03:19 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Indeed, who is anyone to judge? Kudos to the Pontiff. People ask "what would Jesus do?" well, here's a hint:

Pope Francis on gays: `Who am I to judge?'

Pope Francis on gays: `Who am I to judge?' – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

"When I meet a gay person, I have to distinguish between their being gay and being part of a lobby. If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn't be marginalized. The tendency (to homosexuality) is not the problem ... they're our brothers."

I agree with the Pope. I can't picture Christ as a gay basher. Heck, I would bet half of our Catholic priests are probably gay.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,983 times
This guy is not a pope.

There has not been a reigning Roman Catholic Pope since October of 1958.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella2 View Post
The bible is clear about lying being wrong, cheating being wrong, stealing being wrong, murder being wrong, AND yes, homosexuality being wrong. It's ALL sin. So when we as Christians agree with scripture and say gays are wrong / sin, what's the big deal?

BTW even though sins carry the same eternal punishment for non-Christians (hell) I don't think the bible teaches that each sin is exactly the same for believers. Or at least the earthly consequences for each sin is not the same. Some sins will give you a slap on the wrist, while others will send you to prison for life, or give you an STD & kill you in 1 year, etc... Big differences.
Here's the thing, though. The murder, stealing and adultery rules are so important, they were made into Commandments. I don't remember "Thou shalt not be a homosexual" on the tablets, although Moses may have dropped one and didn't tell anyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAtRCJIqnk

Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
I was happy to hear it. Jesus would have probably said the same thing.

But I suspect that many of the Catholic bigots will be furious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies