Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post

The Bible has never changed.......
I have a bridge in Sydney to sell you.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I agree with the Pope who is he to judge, this makes since. Now what is he going to do about those who read the hate of homosexuals in the Bible? Not all people listen to the Pope....or do they?
There isn't any 'hate of homosexuals' in the Bible.

Or do you mean they read something into the text that wasn't there?

That's called eisegesis.

Eisegesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

That's called eisegesis.

They don't care much for homosexual acts in the Bible.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Good for him!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:45 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
You can judge if you want..but hate is poison - it is the most defective part of human nature. Disapproval and judgement are fine. BUT no one has the right to harm another human being- even if we deem them evil. God rains on the wicked as well as the good and sends the blessing of rain on all - good or bad...If grace is the undeserved mercy of God by definition - then if God shows mercy to the undeserving - then we must show mercy and grant grace to those we perceive as undeserving. It's intelligent - It is Christian.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
They don't care much for homosexual acts in the Bible.
Like some of the ritual sex acts involved in idolatrous pagan temple prostitution to worship ancient fertility gods? You know that included heterosexual 'acts' too don't you? Or perhaps you don't know.

Or the 'acts' of heterosexual men threatening to rape male strangers to dominate and humiliate them? You know most male rape is perpetrated by heterosexual men (not homosexual men) don't you?

What does any of that have to do with 21st century gay and lesbian people, especially those in loving committed relationships or marriages?

Are 21st century gay and lesbian couples engaging in worshipping ancient fertility gods in pagan temples or going around threatening to rape male strangers to their town?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No, of course not, but it's a start.
It's a start? This has been Catholic teaching for 2000 years.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,914,144 times
I hope black smoke comes out the Vatican soon.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post

That's called eisegesis.

Your link was interesting I hadn't thought of it that way. I did use the wrong wording I should have said, "how is he going to change the many years of this view." The Bible clearly states do not have sex with the same sex, believe it's in Leviticus. Not sure how this can be taken any other way.

Maybe, they can change the word, I've heard "young women" will be used rather than "virgins", so it's not confusing people. Thought word changing was wrong, guess people don't read the last page of their Bible.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Indeed, who is anyone to judge? Kudos to the Pontiff. People ask "what would Jesus do?" well, here's a hint:

Pope Francis on gays: `Who am I to judge?'

Pope Francis on gays: `Who am I to judge?' – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

"When I meet a gay person, I have to distinguish between their being gay and being part of a lobby. If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn't be marginalized. The tendency (to homosexuality) is not the problem ... they're our brothers."
This is nothing revolutionary. This was the theme many Bishops had before the Church sex scandal.

Francis opposed the gay marriage in Argentina. The problem here is that people are utterly clueless about the Catholic Church and Catholicism. The clergy and leaders of the Church tend to be a lot less judgmental than conservative lay Catholics.

Pope Francis statements are not instructional or offering gay priests protection from the hierarchy per se. He's instructional to, and offering protection from, conservative lay Catholics.

Francis was not the only Latin American Catholic in the hierarchy to be sympathetic to the poor.

Dario Castrillon Hoyos, Colombia (washingtonpost.com)

Quote:
Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos, 75, leads the Vatican's office for priests.
Quote:
Over the years, he has called on a Colombian president whose election campaign was financed by drug traffickers to step down, branded lawmakers bribed by traffickers a national disgrace and urged voters to reject a presidential candidate because he supported the right to divorce.

From his pulpit, Castrillon accused Pereira police of killing prostitutes, street children and beggars in a lethal "social cleansing" program.
Hoyos, supposedly, used to walk the nights to protect the street kids and prostitutes.

He irked many people when he was moved to Rome I believe, and publicly addressed the the media about the sex scandal in words that more or less was not what they wanted to hear. I say that because I suspect he has views about gay priests similar to Francis and much of the hierarchy before the Church sex scandal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies