Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 11:15 AM

545 posts, read 452,132 times

Advertisements

all they do is write around the specific ego's of the big shots and use it as bait to sucker them in for the job. thats why theres no good stuff...the stars are bozo's for the most part and wouldn't see any value in something that would be really good....so as long as the big shots call the shots on draw, its all subject to their mindsets...ive seen some movies where theres no way a director would have cut but did not...and then you look at the big shot star and see the cut...would have been a cross to his ego. anyway the real problem with this is the media in general trying to take over popular interest and manipulating what would be immediately seem to create ..OMG OMG...I just have to see this. In todays world curb appeal is the deal, to make money you need to impress the shreaking women OMG, guys in general today just follow the scent and oblige with whats required. Also...allot of music and all this creative stuff is in the slump because very creative people need to be inspired also by a quality in the culture to share the insights...and its just not there IOW figure it out yourself why try even the relay in communication itself...the general social impression has very little to generate -inspire a creative idea in the first place. theres no where for the inspiration to go...thats what happens with the super creative talents, a slouch.

Last edited by macpherson; 08-02-2013 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:16 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you can line up the dough, you should be able to make a film about any damn thing you please.

Why NOT a political message? Science fiction must be devoid of politics? Why is that?

Seems to me that you guys wouldn't walk around angry at Hollywood all the time if there were conservatives in Hollywood with enough imagination to make a decent film. Too bad there aren't any.
Good science fiction should have social commentary on what is happening with the world today.

Star Trek in the 1960s did, and the Matrix did.
Good Examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qzEjVbn6WE Star Trek: Bread and Circuses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_lgHMjTMRs The Matrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chqi8m4CEEY V for Vendetta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2W0-z8EnaM Another V for Vendetta

I can't wait for Elysium.

Last edited by Prytania; 08-02-2013 at 11:28 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Wow OP...you can tell that you are not a film buff. This is not a new or novel concept that is being brought to the screen

Metropolis is a 1927 German expressionist epic science-fiction film directed by Fritz Lang. The film was written by Lang and his wife Thea von Harbou, and starred Brigitte Helm, Gustav Fröhlich, Alfred Abel and Rudolf Klein-Rogge. A silent film, it was produced in the Babelsberg Studios by UFA.

Metropolis is regarded as a pioneer work of science fiction movies, being the first feature length movie of the genre.

Made in Germany during the Weimar Period, Metropolis is set in a futuristic urban dystopia, and follows the attempts of Freder, the wealthy son of the city's ruler, and Maria, whose background is not fully explained in the film, to overcome the vast gulf separating the classist nature of their city. Metropolis was filmed in 1925, at a cost of approximately five million Reichsmarks. Thus, it was the most expensive film ever released up to that point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(film)

Fritz Lang's Metropolis - Official Website
I love Metropolis and other films of that era, like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
all they do is write around the specific ego's of the big shots and use it as bait to sucker them in for the job. thats why theres no good stuff...the stars are bozo's for the most part and wouldn't see any value in something that would be really good....so as long as the big shots call the shots on draw, its all subject to their mindsets...ive seen some movies where theres no way a director would have cut but did not...and then you look at the big shot star and see the cut...would have been a cross to his ego. anyway the real problem with this is the media in general trying to take over popular interest and manipulating what would be immediately seem to create ..OMG OMG...I just have to see this.
Could you construct yourselves and others as having any less agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
In todays world curb appeal is the deal, to make money you need to impress the shreaking women OMG, guys in general today just follow the scent and oblige with whats required.
Sounds like someone needs to grow a pair.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:24 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I love Metropolis and other films of that era, like The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.
Definitely two must see classic films.

Did you ever see the episode of "Portlandia" when the woman is being forced to watch a Netflix copy of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? Very funny.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Definitely two must see classic films.

Did you ever see the episode of "Portlandia" when the woman is being forced to watch a Netflix copy of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari? Very funny.
I've never seen Portlandia. I only have very basic cable.
I am having a blast with Shark Week on Space. Two-Headed Shark Attack. Sharknado. Sharktopus.
These movies are so spectacularly bad that they're funny as hell.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 AM

545 posts, read 452,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Could you construct yourselves and others as having any less agency?

Sounds like someone needs to grow a pair.
what are u talking about?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

Have you ever seen Nosferatu? Genuinely creepy.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Say, did you see Matt Damon as Liberace's boy toy?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I saw an interesting film recently. The 1956 version of There's Always Tomorrow.
It looks like soap opera type dime-a-dozen movie...until you really start thinking about what's being presented and what's going on.
Then I started researching deeper and found this interesting commentary (not unlike the critiques I used to prepare in college):

Cineaste Magazine - Articles - Douglas Sirk's <em>There's Always Tomorrow</em> (WEB EXCLUSIVE)

I am not sure you can delve as deep into Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies