Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
But Hollywood goes to the rich=bad/poor=good well faaaarrrrrr too often.
Forgot this one. If you've studied literature, you must know that for the heroic story line, the protagonist has to struggle for the story to be interesting at all. It takes Ayn Rand readers to cheer when the business owner threatens a worker with firing and blacklisting to get her way.

And one might cite such obscure movies as Iron Man or The Dark Knight as counterexamples...

Old 08-02-2013, 10:29 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
When political prejudice causes people to see everything in black and white (liberal & conservative) there is a problem. Especially entertainment! The last thing I think of when deciding what to watch is if the actors or Democrats or Republicans.
The sad part is, you are right. I find myself doing this at times myself. Believe it or not though, SOMETIMES it helps me see the other side of things even though I know it's embellished Hollywood-style.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
I have formally studied literature from around the world.

But Hollywood goes to the rich=bad/poor=good well faaaarrrrrr too often.

It is lazy and a bit hypocritical, as I see the entire entertainment industry as useless...they get immensely rich without producing any product of proportional value.
So you are blaming Hollywood for knowing its audience? We basically live in a world where most people want their food not only cut up for them but also chewed. I mean you've read this forum. Most people aren't really interested in doing the kind of work that nuance requires.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:45 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
They may be hypocrites, but that doesn't mean the message is invalid.
I do not think it is invalid.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you can line up the dough, you should be able to make a film about any damn thing you please.

Why NOT a political message? Science fiction must be devoid of politics? Why is that?

Seems to me that you guys wouldn't walk around angry at Hollywood all the time if there were conservatives in Hollywood with enough imagination to make a decent film. Too bad there aren't any.
"You guys"? accusations without understanding where one is coming from.

I did not say the message is absolutely wrong.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Forgot this one. If you've studied literature, you must know that for the heroic story line, the protagonist has to struggle for the story to be interesting at all. It takes Ayn Rand readers to cheer when the business owner threatens a worker with firing and blacklisting to get her way.

And one might cite such obscure movies as Iron Man or The Dark Knight as counterexamples...
In many epic poems or old stories, the one struggling isn't of poor birth.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
So you are blaming Hollywood for knowing its audience? We basically live in a world where most people want their food not only cut up for them but also chewed. I mean you've read this forum. Most people aren't really interested in doing the kind of work that nuance requires.
I can't argue with that. You are right. Sad but true.

What chaps my hide is this constant output of narcissistic pablum followed by grandiose self-congratulation for being so "cutting edge" or "tackling the tough issues." Effin' spare me, Captains Obvious.

Just tell a story. A good story. Good dialogue. Characters we can know and care about. I think even our dumbed-down public could appreciate that.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:56 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
In many epic poems or old stories, the one struggling isn't of poor birth.
Because the struggles of the poor weren't even worth mentioning.

Quote:

What chaps my hide is this constant output of narcissistic pablum followed by grandiose self-congratulation for being so "cutting edge" or "tackling the tough issues." Effin' spare me, Captains Obvious.
Oh when Sigorney Weaver started going on and on after Avatar didn't win the Oscar for the best picture, I just wanted to puke. Hardly an original narrative or an imaginative take on an old one. Technically awesome, of course. But the narrative. Totallly played in the most unimaginative way.

Quote:
Just tell a story. A good story. Good dialogue. Characters we can know and care about. I think even our dumbed-down public could appreciate that.
I'm not so sure about that.

What is funny about anything termed Elysium is that to be in Elysium, in the original sense from ancient Greece, you have to be dead. It's actually interesting in terms of this movie because the people in Elysium are, I'm guessing, suppose to be ethically dead. But in college I went home for a break and laughed my ass off when I saw that a new neighborhood was being built across from ours and it was called "Elysian Fields," the other name for Elysium. Idiots.

Last edited by helenejen; 08-02-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Wow OP...you can tell that you are not a film buff. This is not a new or novel concept that is being brought to the screen

Metropolis is a 1927 German expressionist epic science-fiction film directed by Fritz Lang. The film was written by Lang and his wife Thea von Harbou, and starred Brigitte Helm, Gustav Fröhlich, Alfred Abel and Rudolf Klein-Rogge. A silent film, it was produced in the Babelsberg Studios by UFA.

Metropolis is regarded as a pioneer work of science fiction movies, being the first feature length movie of the genre.

Made in Germany during the Weimar Period, Metropolis is set in a futuristic urban dystopia, and follows the attempts of Freder, the wealthy son of the city's ruler, and Maria, whose background is not fully explained in the film, to overcome the vast gulf separating the classist nature of their city. Metropolis was filmed in 1925, at a cost of approximately five million Reichsmarks. Thus, it was the most expensive film ever released up to that point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(film)

http://www.kinolorber.com/metropolis/

Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Wow OP...you can tell that you are not a film buff. This is not a new or novel concept that is being brought to the screen

Metropolis is a 1927 German expressionist epic science-fiction film directed by Fritz Lang. The film was written by Lang and his wife Thea von Harbou, and starred Brigitte Helm, Gustav Fröhlich, Alfred Abel and Rudolf Klein-Rogge. A silent film, it was produced in the Babelsberg Studios by UFA.

Metropolis is regarded as a pioneer work of science fiction movies, being the first feature length movie of the genre.

Made in Germany during the Weimar Period, Metropolis is set in a futuristic urban dystopia, and follows the attempts of Freder, the wealthy son of the city's ruler, and Maria, whose background is not fully explained in the film, to overcome the vast gulf separating the classist nature of their city. Metropolis was filmed in 1925, at a cost of approximately five million Reichsmarks. Thus, it was the most expensive film ever released up to that point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(film)
I never proclaimed to be a film buff.
and I know there have been movies with messages before. But how far does it have to go before the entertainment value is lost?
Its why I (among millions of others) loved that TV show "About Nothing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies