Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Intelligent Design?
Yes, teach it along with Evolution 22 15.28%
No, teach only Evolution 121 84.03%
No, teach only Intelligent Design 1 0.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 06:59 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times

Advertisements

I believe in the idea of evolution but I feel like it is become somewhat of a dogmatic principle. Evolution has much scientific data to support its existence, but I think the means needs fine-tuning. I don't believe random mutation, genetic drift and sex selection drive all of evolution. There has to be a more specific and reactive approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 07:00 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
If it were true, we should be seeing apes break out of prisons and labs the world over, when they make that leap to human. Anybody caught that on film?
When will my cousin evolve to become me?

That's the exact analogy here. Apes will not evolve to be human because the split already happened. Just like your cousin will never evolve to become you. The split in the lineage already happened.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I believe in the idea of evolution but I feel like it is become somewhat of a dogmatic principle. Evolution has much scientific data to support its existence, but I think the means needs fine-tuning. I don't believe random mutation, genetic drift and sex selection drive all of evolution. There has to be a more specific and reactive approach.
Yes, that's because you forgot about natural selection, which is a stronger force that random mutation, genetic drift, and sexual selection.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:02 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It has become dogmatic....when some explanations cannot be effectively tested by the average joe, for whatever reason, you are banking on the sophistry of it all.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Yes, that's because you forgot about natural selection, which is a stronger force that random mutation, genetic drift, and sexual selection.
I think you might be a little confused...

Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
If it were true, we should be seeing apes break out of prisons and labs the world over, when they make that leap to human. Anybody caught that on film?
It is possible that in many millions of years present day apes could evolve into some other humanlike species. It is, however, very improbable. First of all, humans did not evolve from any of the species we know as apes today. At some point 5 to 8 million years ago, the common ancestor of humans and modern apes diverged to form the two separate lineages we know today. The species at the end of these lineages are a result of a very specific combination of selection pressures and genetic mutations over millions of years. This same combination is highly unlikely to occur ever again.

Evolution: Frequently Asked Questions

Now aren't you glad you asked?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:20 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
,..... Evolution is junk science when applied to humans. I suppose one could say we evolve into different forms of energy when we die.
Junk science based on your opinion. What empirical and peer reviewed data do you base that on?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Old 08-24-2013, 07:37 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
There was no "ape to man" evolution....there was, supposedly, a common ancestor. And it makes perfectly logical sense...they have found these genetic drifts in tons of other lifeforms.
Please look up what 'genetic drift' actually means. You are using the term incorrectly. (as in, you really don't know what you are talking about).

Quote:
But there is no "smoking gun" yet in regards to the missing link. They are trying to present "Ida" as "it" and based on the overwhelming evidence supporting evolution....you are expected to just believe it's the end all, be all.
'smoking gun' 'missing link'? Where do you get your 'information' from? The tabloid press?

Who is this mysterious 'they'? The over-excited Norwegian paleontologist Jørn Hurum who set up a media blitz and a book deal before presenting any information for peer-review?

Short Sharp Science: Confirmed: Fossil Ida is not a human ancestor

Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times
Quote:
Are you serious? Please read your own link. Not just the misleading title.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Are you serious? Please read your own link. Not just the misleading title.
What about the article I posted?? Or are you getting ready to build a strawman.....???

I think you are...in fact, I know you are. Because you are bent on painting anybody who wants to question findings as creationists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies