Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 02:51 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Let me ask this, when you pay taxes does that revenue go in part toward paying for an Aircraft Carrier built 5 years ago?
so your economic policy is "continue the idiotic spending that destroyed the dollar." I nominate you to be secretary of the treasury. you obviously know what you're doing.

guess you don't learn from your mistakes. must make for a long life of misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
College students study an average of 15 hours/week today, compared to 24 hours per week 50 years ago. It isn't about cost, it is about people simply not putting the time in to learn the material. Students spend an average of 15 hours/week in class, meaning they only spend 30 hours/week learning while in college. The average american spends 34 hours/week watching TV. When a person is watching TV more than studying, they will absolutely have a decent chance of failing. No wonder we can't compete.

Is college too easy? As study time falls, debate rises. - Washington Post
Every college student I know -- which is plenty, because I have two of my own -- has at least one job, usually more. They are all involved in volunteering or unpaid internships too. Getting work experience is part of the college experience now, unlike the 1950s.

My daughter actually has a TV ... that she hasn't hooked up in two years.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:09 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
so your economic policy is "continue the idiotic spending that destroyed the dollar." I nominate you to be secretary of the treasury. you obviously know what you're doing.

guess you don't learn from your mistakes. must make for a long life of misery.
Destroyed the dollar .... really? Hmmmm...

What Is the Value of the US Dollar

http://data.cnbc.com/quotes/EUR%3D/tab/2
select up to 10 yrs

Last edited by florida.bob; 08-22-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 04:30 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Load those young O voters up with debt.

Let the IRS attach their wages.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:11 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Destroyed the dollar .... really? Hmmmm...

What Is the Value of the US Dollar

Euro/US Dollar FX Spot Rate - EUR= - Stock Quotes
select up to 10 yrs
you love $5 gas, and $6 gallons of milk huh. cows didn't join unions ya know.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Every college student I know -- which is plenty, because I have two of my own -- has at least one job, usually more. They are all involved in volunteering or unpaid internships too. Getting work experience is part of the college experience now, unlike the 1950s.

My daughter actually has a TV ... that she hasn't hooked up in two years.
Your daughter's TV habits are a fairly poor argument against national averages. Also, students had jobs 50 years ago as well. Are you honestly defending students for studying less now than ever before in this country's history?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Your daughter's TV habits are a fairly poor argument against national averages. Also, students had jobs 50 years ago as well. Are you honestly defending students for studying less now than ever before in this country's history?
There's an excuse for everything wrong in America.
Meanwhile we continue to decline in OECD standings.

Americans can't afford to live in America anymore on their salaries.
They need government handouts and subsidies.
And the more subsidies they get the louder they cheer.

And people think this is good news ?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:26 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
I am saying that these broad-brush attacks on students are nonsense. And no one in my parents' college classes 50 years ago had jobs (I just asked them -- and their class was a large one at a major state university), so that's an other baseless assumption you're making.

I am also saying that college is no longer ALL about studying. It's about life experience, such as volunteering, working and interning. That's what employers want, in case you hadn't noticed. They don't WANT kids who spent four years with their noses in books. Heck, even colleges don't want students who spent their high school years with their noses in books. Ask any college admissions counselor.

I take it you're elderly? Everything was "better" in the good old days?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
I am saying that these broad-brush attacks on students are nonsense. And no one in my parents' college classes 50 years ago had jobs (I just asked them -- and their class was a large one at a major state university), so that's an other baseless assumption you're making.

I am also saying that college is no longer ALL about studying. It's about life experience, such as volunteering, working and interning. That's what employers want, in case you hadn't noticed. They don't WANT kids who spent four years with their noses in books. Heck, even colleges don't want students who spent their high school years with their noses in books. Ask any college admissions counselor.

I am 27 years old. Stop using personal experiences as your 'rules' for how everything will act. Your daughter's TV habits or your parent's college experience is an extremely poor way to set a rule for everyone. National statistics disagree with you. Are there exceptions? Obviously, but you do know what national averages mean, don't you?

College isn't about the 'life experience'. It is about preparing a student for the real world. Students need to have less 'life experience' (which is a code word for relaxing and having fun) and spend more time and effort studying and working. Employers want candidates who are prepared for the job. When I am hiring someone, I want someone who has knowledge and skills that they can use at my workplace. I couldn't care less what 'life experience' they got.

The more we have had students focus on the 'life experience' of college and less on the studying and education, the farther this nation has slipped in education rankings globally, and the more students do not graduate. You call that a good thing?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:

Yes and that's why Indians and Chinese are getting all the high paying STEM jobs while Americans settle for Starbucks counter jobs.

To the rest of the world college IS about studying and getting good grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies