Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,758,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Quite the diplomat, this young Obama kid. Makes a fine president, he does.
now he can go back to butchering babies in iraq.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:52 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Maybe we stop thinking of it as two sides, and start thinking it's way more complicated. In terms of Syria, maybe we cut the two sides out completely, and just start figuring out ways to assist the Syrian people. Maybe we stop trying to be the peacemaker, and ask Myanmar to try to broker a peace. When it comes to Syria, I think we need to identify what we want to happen, and I'm not sure that's being done. Because I hear talk about the innocent people being killed, and wanting to protect those innocent people, but our actions seem to be about toppling Assad. Assad stepped in when his brother was killed. Assad is western-educated, and was inclined to be more liberal when he took office. He inherited a despotic regime, but he didn't start out a totalitarian dictator that was willing to use chemical weapons on his own people. I'm not sure he had anything to do with those chemical weapons. But the guy who went to college in England is still a part of the guy who seems to be willing to do almost anything to hold on to his power. So maybe we need to find a way to talk to the part of Assad who went to college in England and wanted a better Syria for his people. If that way is through Russia, then so be it. The best tool is the best tool.
As an idea to hold I can find little to disagree with you on. I believe the administration wants Assad toppled though. You can come to your own conclusions as to why, as for me I am a bit befuddled over it.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
There are elections in Syria in 2014 and Assad is stepping down.
Why are we in such a rush to topple him ?
Do we NOT want these elections to happen next year as planned ?
The US wants him out now and is funding extremists as well as fighters to accomplish that.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,844,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We can't control the world or police the world or dictate to the world. But we can change the world.
Has the world been changed after extermination of Osama Bin Laden or overthrow of Saddam Hussein?
A missile strike won't change the world. It can temporarily change some geopolitical and economical state of things. But the WORLD wil stay the same.
Changing the world start with changing of our consciousness and our attitude to life.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:15 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,581,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Ah yes, I am sure Putin cares deeply about the American people, he is such an American icon.
Is that what I said? Why are you deflecting?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
No, you hate Obama so much that you are willing to side with Putin. Putin would never of made that decision if Obama didn't apply the pressure.
Oh please.
You really think Putin is scared of Obama?? Putin has gotten Obama to back off Iran a few time now.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,939,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Apparently there are several people who have a hard time following relatively moderate complex concepts as in, if <action> then <action> else <action>. No wonder most of our RW pols speak to the population in monosyllable simplex sentences as in the following. Obama Bad <Kenya>. Obama No Good <IRS>. Obama Evil <Benghazi>...
It's called "desperately trying to piece together a coherent worldview from Fox talking points, promoting them, and running into contradictions while hoping nobody notices".
Remember, according to Texas conservatives, critical thinking should be discouraged in our schools because it is the enemy of faith. Therefore, use one's faith to solve problems like Syria and everything else, then try to piece together something coherent from these "notions". Quite a task.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 09-11-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-11-2013, 04:21 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Oh please.
You really think Putin is scared of Obama?? Putin has gotten Obama to back off Iran a few time now.
In reference to what? When did Putin get Obama to back off Iran and when were we planning on doing anything with Iran?

Old 09-11-2013, 04:26 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,939,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
Has the world been changed after extermination of Osama Bin Laden or overthrow of Saddam Hussein?
A missile strike won't change the world. It can temporarily change some geopolitical and economical state of things. But the WORLD wil stay the same.
Changing the world start with changing of our consciousness and our attitude to life.
Yes if only that were possible. In the meantime we punish people for wrongdoing because that's all we got.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
In reference to what? When did Putin get Obama to back off Iran and when were we planning on doing anything with Iran?
How short your memories are.....
Not that long ago when we were trying to start trouble with them over their nuclear program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies