Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Here in lies the problem. I am sure you will ignore my bolded part just as you did before but this is the problem.

Many things are considered offensive to different people. Obviously the cake was offensive to the baker here. You seem to be O.K. with a baker not making a cake where you agree in the offense.

What was offensive about the cake? Faux offense, more like it.

Especially when the same "Christian bakery that serves our Lord God Jesus Christ Amen!" had no problem fulfilling orders for any of the following:

"I was wondering if you could do two little cakes. My friend is a researcher at OHSU and she just got a grant for cloning human stem cells, so I thought I’d get her two identical cakes—basically, two little clone cakes. How much would they cost?" the covert reporter asked an employee at Sweet Cakes By Melissa in Gresham, Ore.

“Ha. All right. When are you looking to do it? It’ll be $25.99 each, so about $50 to start," a bakery employee told the reporter, according to The Willamette Week.

In addition to agreeing to make a cake for a "pagan solstice party" (the reporter requested a pentagram of icing on the cake), Sweet Cakes also agreed to make custom cakes for a divorce party and a party for a woman who'd had multiple babies out of wedlock, the paper notes.

Sweet Cakes By Melissa, Oregon Bakery That Refused Lesbian Couple, Pranked By Undercover Reporter

The real attention wh***s in this story is the bakery, who thought they'd score brownie points in this life and next by "taking a stand"... and who initially rode a support from internet conservatives, but then found that they can't maintain their bakery, because they're losing business (NOT because the government shut them down, or has even fined them yet or anything).

It's all "free market" at work right now!

Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How was the cake design offensive when they didn't even discuss the cake design?
If you are on the side of the gay couple then you also need to be on the side of Adolf Hitler's parents.
At least be consistent.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What was offensive about the cake? If two neo-nazis wanted a wedding cake, there is nothing offensive about that. If they wanted the cake to look like a pile of dead Jewish people, then that would be offensive and I would side with the baker.

And because being a Nazi is not a protected class under the law, you'd actually be able to refuse service to the Nazis in general, whether or not their cake order is offensive.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Here in lies the problem. I am sure you will ignore my bolded part just as you did before but this is the problem.

Many things are considered offensive to different people. Obviously the cake was offensive to the baker here. You seem to be O.K. with a baker not making a cake where you agree in the offense.
Yup. They just cherry picked reasons why it was ok for that bakery to refuse Adolf Hitler's parents.
Shouldn't matter what the decorations are.
They should be defending the customer 100% saying business needs to forced to service anyone that comes through the door.
Wishy washy cherry picking what to defend and what to let slide.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What was offensive about the cake they wanted to have made?
I have no idea how they wanted the cake decorated. They did not want to participate in an activity they found offensive.

Businesses make these kind of decisions all the time. As I've asked before is it really better for them to have said that they would make the cake but they didn't want the couple to tell anyone where they got it because they did not want their business associated with an activity they disagreed with?

The solution here does not make the problem any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you are on the side of the gay couple then you also need to be on the side of Adolf Hitler's parents.
At least be consistent.

Yeah. COMPLETE moral (and legal) consistency between a gay wedding and Hitler.

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Way to go Willamette Weekly with some good reporter investigating.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yeah. COMPLETE moral (and legal) consistency between a gay wedding and Hitler.
Hitler is simply a name that you find offensive. The past leader of Germany was not asking for a cake to be made.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yup. They just cherry picked reasons why it was ok for that bakery to refuse Adolf Hitler's parents.
Shouldn't matter what the decorations are.
They should be defending the customer 100% saying business needs to forced to service anyone that comes through the door.
Wishy washy cherry picking what to defend and what to let slide.
A bakery refused Adolf Hitler's parents? Are they still even alive? And was it a Polish bakery? Cause I don't think they are to fond of the Hitler family.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I have no idea how they wanted the cake decorated. They did not want to participate in an activity they found offensive.

Businesses make these kind of decisions all the time. As I've asked before is it really better for them to have said that they would make the cake but they didn't want the couple to tell anyone where they got it because they did not want their business associated with an activity they disagreed with?

The solution here does not make the problem any better.
The people who make the cake don't have to participate in the wedding too. They were asked to make a wedding cake, and clearly the only thing that bothered them was the fact that two women wanted to buy it for their wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies