Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As a person who has dealt with the occasional trade person who clearly thinks I am a lesser individual because of the color of my skin, I assure you, I know what it is like. My reaction is not to sue but to merely say to the idiot "Apparently the color of my money isn't enough to blind you to the color of my skin so I will take my business elsewhere. I will be sure to make sure everyone I know is aware that our type aren't welcome in your establishment." No freak'n way would I force them to serve me food they can spit in or preform a service that they purposefully do a crappy job on so it ends up costing me more money in the long run. No freak'n way will I increase their coffers. I then find an establishment that would like to earn my business and therefore deserves my money. Trust me, far more are in the second category than the first.
Exactly!

Why can't people just take this kind of attitude instead of forcing laws on people to do something they don't want to.
Just take your money elsewhere!
This way we are all free to do as we please.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:56 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Exactly!

Why can't people just take this kind of attitude instead of forcing laws on people to do something they don't want to.
Just take your money elsewhere!
This way we are all free to do as we please.
Liberals are never content with free will, unless that free will conforms to their beliefs. If it doesn't, then they want the government to coerce you to fall into line.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm gay and have yet to figure out what they gay agenda is beyond doing all the same things that my parents and siblings do. And they agree. Sounds like demonizing paranoia to me.
Most people agree.
Just understand that same people feel differently. Some were raised very religiously where that is not ok.

It is OK to have a differing opinion about something. It's a way of life. We wouldn't have the innovations today if we all had the same opinions and views.
We all have a differing opinion about something. Life goes on.

Something can only bother you as much as YOU let it.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Liberals are never content with free will, unless that free will conforms to their beliefs. If it doesn't, then they want the government to coerce you to fall into line.
Couldn't have said that better.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:53 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Having to obey the law must be a terrible burden for right-wing Christian bigots who own businesses. I weep for them, I truly do.

Oh. Wait. That's not a tear. That's just eye snot. Never mind.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 AM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Having to obey the law must be a terrible burden for right-wing Christian bigots who own businesses. I weep for them, I truly do.

Oh. Wait. That's not a tear. That's just brain snot. Never mind.
Fixed it for ya.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:05 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post

Oh. Wait. That's not a tear. That's just eye snot. Never mind.
Bow down mundane. Government owns you. They can force you to work for someone when you don't want to. Slavery is alive and well.

We the people are society and we shouldn't force others to bow to our will unless rights are being violated.
An unjust law is no law at all.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I wouldn't want to receive goods and services from them, either. Some people, however, think it's worthwhile to shame such individuals/companies and to denounce them for breaking the law. Discrimination does not exactly enjoy a positive interpretation in our society and one way to send a clear signal is to make breaking the law a very negative experience for the perpetrators.

Alas, I have no idea what truly motivated these guys.

Like you, I have been discriminated against - and did not sue anybody. I just moved on to another business - but made sure I told everyone I knew what had happened to me (incidentally, this was a bakery, too).
Good for you. That's the way to do it.
I don't get why people take that risk with food? Why risk eating something prepared by someone who isn't fond of you?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:19 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Bow down mundane. Government owns you. They can force you to work for someone when you don't want to. Slavery is alive and well.
No, no one's forcing them to own a bakery. If they close up shop, a posse is not going to chase them down and force them to open up again. Your comparison of anti-discrimination laws in business to slavery is just garbage. I find it amazing that an adult would make such an argument and expect to be taken seriously.

Quote:
We the people are society and we shouldn't force others to bow to our will unless rights are being violated.
An unjust law is no law at all.
You might think it's unjust, but it seems perfectly just to me. What's unjust is a system that allows businesses to conduct discriminatory business practices. A law that gives you your way would be no law at all.

I find it hilarious, this idea right-wingers have that laws they don't like don't apply.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 AM

808 posts, read 662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
If they are operating as a business, they likely still have to abide by the same anti-discriminatory laws as any other business.

If you (or that other poster) can prove otherwise, please post the proof.
It is you who have to prove that private property is regulated as business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies